Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Public vs Private Ladder Climbing: What would you do?
Public 6 42.86%
Private 6 42.86%
Make short-term decisions for money 1 7.14%
Other, answer in post 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 01:05 AM

638 posts, read 531,956 times

Advertisements

Current value: Mid-low 100s, ready to move on.

My estimated top value in the public sector: $200k ish.

My estimated top value in the private sector, based on current salary and knowledge of ability to climb: $500k ish.

I probably shouldn't have to mention this, but to clarify, this is not a purely mathematical decision. I could easily continue on the salary I have right now, and live frugally, and manage.

A few assumptions / background information for you to work with:
  • At-will employment applies to government positions in my state, and few positions over $60k are unionized so government work would not be "more secure".
  • There are no special bonuses like free tuition or free medical care for public workers in my state or city. No discounts. There is no reduction in tax for public sector workers. There are also no annual bonuses.
  • The public and private sectors in which I would be working are particularly prized for transparency and excellence. I am not concerned about huge corruption or horrible working conditions in either one.
  • All of these positions have "senior" or "director" or "consultant" at the beginning of them.
  • There are opportunities for both near my home, but more opportunities for corporate jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 01:13 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,587,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
I could easily continue on the salary I have right now, and live frugally, and manage.
are you happy with your current life doing this though?

if so, what's the point of earning "more"? What do you plan to do with it that makes it worth it, or is it an ego thing of saying you earned a half mill?
Quote:
  • At-will employment applies to government positions in my state, and few positions over $60k are unionized so government work would not be "more secure".
  • There are no special bonuses like free tuition or free medical care for public workers in my state or city. No discounts. There is no reduction in tax for public sector workers. There are also no annual bonuses.
generally true for most workers... why did you think public sector got special privileges

a lot of public jobs seem to be mission driven, if you want to try something other than profit driven projects

Last edited by MLSFan; 03-02-2018 at 01:25 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 01:37 AM

638 posts, read 531,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
are you happy with your current life doing this though?
I'm asking about your opinions and what made you happy. If you choose to dig through my past posts you will see I have not hidden my unhappiness with previous roles, but that also, I'm willing to be pragmatic.

Quote:
if so, what's the point of earning "more"? What do you plan to do with it that makes it worth it, or is it an ego thing of saying you earned a half mill?
Hey, that was my question!

I'm interested to hear what other people got out of a half million, or even a quarter mill. Was it bragging rights? Were the cars really that nice? Did you give back? Retire early? Etc.

Quote:
generally true for most workers... why did you think public sector got special privileges
I've worked in the public sector and I'm aware that there are no special privileges.

This was to clarify the misconception for others. I've seen many people on the Internet perform very interesting analyses of public sector jobs, usually along the lines of, "you can't get fired and get a whole bunch of stuff for free". Maybe it's like that some places, but it's not like that here. I wanted to ensure that I was getting information about the actual choice I have, not a choice between an imaginary perfect easy career.

Quote:
a lot of public jobs seem to be mission driven, if you want to try something other than profit driven projects
Yes. Can you tell me why you didn't choose those, or why you did? What decision did you make?

Old 03-02-2018, 03:17 AM

251 posts, read 205,179 times
I was on the fence having this choice myself. But based on the information you provided above for your circumstance I would say Corporate. If there's no job security at the higher salary tiers there's honestly no point to working in government IMHO.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:53 AM

35,229 posts, read 31,563,692 times
At a $300k difference, a few years of that could possibly mean you could retire out of the area. Normally I'd recommend the public sector, but that is a colossal difference and a life-changing amount of money.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:00 AM

12,925 posts, read 9,190,327 times
Very simply it comes down to why you want to work. People don't go into public service to make big bucks; they go into it because they are driven to serve something larger than themselves. You need to have a belief in the mission to sustain you through those times when the political climate blames you for their problems. As you've noted most people have very wrong beliefs about public servants. The comments in the media, from political agendas, and even on here can wear you down because of the constant drumbeat of negativity.

So there's your answer. If you love the mission then public but if not go private because you will be miserable.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,789,377 times
It depends on your personal future goals. Having worked at two different public agencies I find that many of use really consider our work to be providing a service to the citizens, as opposed to private sector companies where your goals are all to make money. If you are single or married with no kids, the higher pay could be the best move financially, and offer the opportunity to pack away a tidy savings and IRA/401k retirement funds. When you have the additional responsibility of a family the public job at lower pay provides more stability, and even if over 40 already a decent pension to supplement your private savings when you retire.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:58 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,014,803 times
Public for sure. Job security. That’s completely gone from the private sector. One idiot can destroy the lives of everyone in the entire company in a few years time. And that’s all it takes is one person. You want your career and livelihood to be pinned onto one moron or a few at the top? I sure don’t

I’d have gone to the public sector 2-3 years ago if it wasn’t so difficult to get in. Sure you could probably make a little more money in there private sector but your shelf life is substantially lower now than in a state of federal job so what good does it do in the long run. Most private sector pay isn’t keeping up with Inflation anyways and there opportunities for advancement are nowhere NEAR what they used to be due to short term expense cutting and centralizing positions

Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,682,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Unless you love your job like nothing else in the world, how about early retirement with at least one paid-off house along with savings and investments that will provide the income you want or need for the rest of your life?

I know some people love to work (not necessarily at their particular job, but just in general, to be doing something) and can't stop. Not me! When it's time to pull the yellow handles, I'm gonna break 'em off. The thought of doing absolutely nothing but exactly what I want for the rest of my life is bliss. I'd gladly take a road that led there in ten years as opposed to the 20-25 I'm looking at now.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:05 AM

251 posts, read 205,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Job security.
There is no job security above a certain pay grade in the public sector either. If a positioned is "appointed" you can be let go and have no union or other protections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment