Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 01:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I can't tolerate the smell of canned tuna. The smell of tuna salad sandwiches make me gag. I will just go eat at my desk to get away from it. Our office banned microwave popcorn because they deemed the smell "unprofessional". The real reason was that people kept burning it, setting off the fire alarm, which would evacuate over 800 people, and bring the fire department running at a cost of $1000 per false alarm.
Same here. I had a coworker who ate tuna daily. And he’d often leave a plate of salad unattended in one of the common areas for hours. The whole room smelled. Once he brought his tuna into a meeting in an enclosed room. I was dying.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
In my last job I got into the habit of making one particular brand of chai in the mornings instead of the ubiquitous coffee. A nice cinnamon, spice, cardamon scent. Kept the mix in my office so it was a little noticeable there too. People liked it. After I retired, the person who now uses that office emailed me asking about the brand. Turned out my colleagues missed the morning's chai ambience especially during staff meetings. Whether they also missed ME was debatable.
That sounds nice. Or how about the smell of cookies baking. Or freshly peeled oranges.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:10 PM

334 posts, read 221,545 times
I make sweet popcorn and people have commented that they thought I was baking cookies, not making microwave popcorn. If I worked in an office where they said you can't make popcorn, I'd bring in a bag of popcorn that I microwaved at home.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:13 PM

924 posts, read 752,195 times
Not really a "foul food", but this thread brought to mind someone whom I worked with a few years back at the library. Every so often, someone on staff would bring in a package of store-bought cookies to share, and before eating one, this particular co-worker would insist on warming it up in the microwave.

Problem is, I'm not sure those cookies were really meant to be re-heated, and this co-worker would end up burning the said cookie.....leaving a rather nasty smell in the microwave.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:58 PM

95 posts, read 89,361 times
It only bothers me on monday mornings because I'm usually hung over and slightly queasy so those smells can really get to me. Would I ever say anything to anyone? Of course not as I suffer in silence as I do with most of life's problems.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:35 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Not exactly about smelly foods, but a memory that makes me giggle.

I worked with a Jain who used to bring in homemade food and use the microwave in the kitchen on a floor shared by two departments.

One day I walked in, and there he stood holding his dish with a distressed look on his face. He told me that a woman from the other department always put her food in the microwave and then went somewhere, maybe to the ladies room, and took a long time to come back and take it out. He said in his Indian accent, "She does this every day, every day, and I want to heat up my food but I cannot touch meat! I cannot touch meat! So I can't take her food out of the microwave.

I took it out for him, but his plaintive, "I cannot touch meat! I cannot touch meat" resounded in my head every time I saw him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment