Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,548,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Some people are just completely missing the point. Nobody is saying every video on youtube is educational.

But there are literally hundreds of thousands of hours of high quality instructional videos available on a massive amount of material that does have real world utility available.

You can easily watch 50 organic chemistry lectures given by a good university professor and learn a lot. To pretend otherwise is absurd. This is just one example of thousands.
It's educational but it's not job experience. Also, just because someone watched a video doesn't mean they learned anything. Where is the testing or assessment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 01:16 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,136,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's educational but it's not job experience. Also, just because someone watched a video doesn't mean they learned anything. Where is the testing or assessment?
Typically the testing comes after doing some kind work (but it does not have a be a "job" per say, it could be wiring up a circuit in your house, rewiring a trailer, what ever). Because employers are so fickle about hiring I think that this will be the future of getting certs.

You cobble together the experience and then apply with the state to take the test. I think people need to get creative about cutting the employer out of the experience gathering portion of the equation because getting a job without the cert or experience is like a brick wall.

Hopefully Trump will expand federal jobs so that people can cut private sector employers out all together if need be.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:45 PM

2,457 posts, read 3,229,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Typically the testing comes after doing some kind work (but it does not have a be a "job" per say, it could be wiring up a circuit in your house, rewiring a trailer, what ever). Because employers are so fickle about hiring I think that this will be the future of getting certs.

You cobble together the experience and then apply with the state to take the test. I think people need to get creative about cutting the employer out of the experience gathering portion of the equation because getting a job without the cert or experience is like a brick wall.

Hopefully Trump will expand federal jobs so that people can cut private sector employers out all together if need be.
Why not start your own business? Take what you've learned from YouTube and run with it.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:54 PM

5,513 posts, read 4,491,629 times
First off.. please note that I am not an electrician! I am getting my facts from internet searching, and the few conversations I had with EE majors a long while ago

Quote:
Do you need to take accredited classes or can you just find an electrician buddy who signs you off to rewire your house or something else that you own to get your experience to sit for the exam?
This can vary by state. There was this I found with online searching

You would never be able to acquire any type of liability insurance as a contractor to do any kind of electrical work without a license, nor would you be able to pull a permit for a homeowner. ... Only a master can pull permits or supervise the training of the lower two classes. This process can take years.

Even then, it may be difficult to get hired without a license. Or without formal education (minus references, but it's a chicken or egg thing now). I'm also sure having more of these gets you higher rates

Quote:
For coding couldnt I just make up my own projects and then sit for the certs and supplement with youtube videos?
Making a project that shows you have solid knowledge of coding and design can take months to years, depending on how fast you learn, and resources available (like YouTube for one).

Also, what do you mean "sit for the certs"? If you take the exam to try to earn them, they'll either by multiple choice (e.g. Sun Certified Java Programmer), but others have you actually coding and doing software (e.g. Sun Certified Java Developer. Plus, Last I recall, the SCJP was a pre-req. to take this). If you can learn concepts from YouTube, and supplement that with other sites, then go for it. It's recommended you get together with others sharing your interest and work on projects together as well.

Quote:
I guess what I am asking is why does the work have to be for hire or paid work to get the certs/knowlage?
Not sure what you mean by this Q. I assumed the whole point of using YouTube to learn more was to land a job.. no?

Old 03-07-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Why not start your own business? Take what you've learned from YouTube and run with it.
IF you have the savings for the start up costs and all of your private life high ticket items are paid off with a working spouse this could be a possibility.

But if you still have one or more of the following (significant student loans, house payment or car payment) its pretty tough to start a buisenss with no immediate cash flow.

It can take months or even years to build up a clientel and start generating significant cash flow.

I am working towards that end but I think its unfortunate when people minimize what it takes to start up. The lower the barriers to entry the higher the odds of failure due to market saturation and low cash flow, high barriers to entry means you need to bring significant expertise and start up funds to the table.

Even if you start it out of your house/garage you still need a way to pay the mortgage and living expenses during the first year or so. And if the economy is so trashed that employers have battoned down the hatches and are scrutinzing people to the nth degree what makes you think your going to just be able to line up clients just like that?

You have to have a passion for the buienss and it needs to be something you would do for a hobby anyways otherwise you will never make it through the rough patches and continue funelling time and money into it even when it is hard.

I think people make the "start a buisness" statement to absolve themselves of any guilt or responsibility for supporting a vulture capitalist society. Hey just start your own buienss and you can be Jeff Bezos, because the bank wont come for your house when you are floundering to find paying clients .... lol. Or maybe you have a couple of good months but then it slows down, guess what that mortage never stops, taxes never stop. You HAVE to have cash flow to keep things going even if clients are not coming through the door that month or for 2 months etc.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
First off.. please note that I am not an electrician! I am getting my facts from internet searching, and the few conversations I had with EE majors a long while ago

This can vary by state. There was this I found with online searching

You would never be able to acquire any type of liability insurance as a contractor to do any kind of electrical work without a license, nor would you be able to pull a permit for a homeowner. ... Only a master can pull permits or supervise the training of the lower two classes. This process can take years.

Even then, it may be difficult to get hired without a license. Or without formal education (minus references, but it's a chicken or egg thing now). I'm also sure having more of these gets you higher rates

Making a project that shows you have solid knowledge of coding and design can take months to years, depending on how fast you learn, and resources available (like YouTube for one).

Also, what do you mean "sit for the certs"? If you take the exam to try to earn them, they'll either by multiple choice (e.g. Sun Certified Java Programmer), but others have you actually coding and doing software (e.g. Sun Certified Java Developer. Plus, Last I recall, the SCJP was a pre-req. to take this). If you can learn concepts from YouTube, and supplement that with other sites, then go for it. It's recommended you get together with others sharing your interest and work on projects together as well.

Not sure what you mean by this Q. I assumed the whole point of using YouTube to learn more was to land a job.. no?
Yes eventually to get the master position, but to avoid the grossly over competitive front end jobs where people are highly scrutinzied due to NOT having the certs (trying to gain the expereince, etc). If you can circumvent groveling for the non cert front end jobs and use non traditional means to check the boxes to get the cert then you will be applying in a position of alot more leverage. Rather than joe 6 pack with no certs no classes, etc you will be applying with a masters license, even if you had to cobble together the experience from friends and side work, avoiding the "why should we hire you joe 6 pack with no certs as a panel sits there stroking their chins with the eyes squinted" with 300 people lined up behind you.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,548,754 times
Quote:

I was trying to follow you until you mentioned Trump. Contrary to popular belief, Trump will not solve all of these so called issues. It was Trump that froze federal hiring.The freeze included language to reduce the size of the federal workforce. Also, wouldn't your idea mean bigger government and more federal bureaucrats? I thought your side of the aisle didn't like bigger government. No expansion of federal hiring is coming. Where did you get that silly idea? Probably the same place where YouTube counts as job experience.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:12 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,594,657 times
not exactly youtube but i used to watch stuff on edx/mitx and they were a starting point of learning about new concepts... it didnt become experience until i went out and tinkered with them tangibly.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I was trying to follow you until you mentioned Trump. Contrary to popular belief, Trump will not solve all of these so called issues. It was Trump that froze federal hiring.The freeze included language to reduce the size of the federal workforce. Also, wouldn't your idea mean bigger government and more federal bureaucrats? I thought your side of the aisle didn't like bigger government. No expansion of federal hiring is coming. Where did you get that silly idea? Probably the same place where YouTube counts as job experience.
When did I ever state that I didnt want bigger govt? I think fed programs should expand and contract as needed to absorb the unemployed, I have always thought that. IF private sector is not falling down on the job then fed contracts, pay roll tax goes down, if they are falling down on the job taxes increase to cover the program.

Thats why I said hopefully, its really hard to tell what he is going to do, sadly the things he has done so far have been half arsed and sporatic and have not been to the degree that the USA needs it to be. I think part of this is becuase of obstructionism on both sides of the isle. There is ALOT of money at stake in fixing the country. Starting a trade war SPECIFICLY with China would cause alot of elites to loose big money so they are pulling all the influance they can, thats why we have this weird steel and aluminum tarrif and we are starting trade wars with our allys, the elite think that this is enough to sooth the ignorant masses and im hoping its not, people need to stay mad until we are in a cold war with China, not one single boat of trade and not one signle immigrant from anywhere unless they have the points to get in and make the points hard to get.

If radical chnages dont happen the US people are going to be in for some long term suffering. Start working on building points so you can get out because other nations worth going to require it.

The number of jobs applied for to positions offered ratio is way messed up in the usa and is causing homelessness, forclosures, etc. Most people cant hang out for 1-2 years applying for 1000's of jobs before something breaks financially.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 03-07-2018 at 11:34 AM..

Old 03-07-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
not exactly youtube but i used to watch stuff on edx/mitx and they were a starting point of learning about new concepts... it didnt become experience until i went out and tinkered with them tangibly.
Yes, but getting hands on experience does not have to = grovel to a panel in a job interview, thats my whole point. Getting a job in the USA right now is absolutely brutal and getting a job without the cert is even worse. If I had to guess, the odds of getting an interview as an entry level certless person is probably 1/100 and to actually get an offer 1/1000. If you have the cert its probably 1/100 to get an offer and 1/20 to get an interview.

Could you imagine having to apply to roughly 1000 jobs to get one offer? Think about what it takes to write up the custom cover letter, constantly tweaking your resume plus job application and then searching for jobs you qualify for. To reach 1000 jobs would probably take 6 months to a year, perhaps longer. Even 1/100 jobs after having gone through the rigamorol of getting the certs on your own without company reimbursement is brutal, I would say its 3 months minimum and thats with all the boxes checked.

That is why I posted this, people are going to have to think of work arounds because I don't know what is going on in american business these days.

That sort of level of unemployment you have to start asking yourself how do you look professional when you live out of your car, where do you wash your suit and take a shower, thats how rediculous its gotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment