Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,303 times

Advertisements

I am currently under a two-week suspension for violating a policy at my job. They told me within the two-week time frame they'll determine whether or not I'm going to remain an employee or be fired. The policy they are stating I violated is not in writing anywhere and I don't even have a copy of it. When the policy was verbally given to me I sent a very detailed email to my supervisor explaining some serious ethical concerns about what my employer was doing and potentially violating the Privacy rights of our clients. If I am in fact terminated, I don't know if it would be for misconduct, insubordination, or severe misconduct. I don't know if violating a policy that's not in writing would even count as a severe misconduct. Does being suspended prior to termination influence the decision maker one way or the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 04:36 PM

990 posts, read 2,558,270 times
Regarding the failure to have a written policy on certain conducts.

This would become largely irrelevant depending on the actual conduct being alleged.

A company may not have actually reduced to writing a policy in which you can not operated a company vehicle while intoxicated.

However this is such a basic principle in business that the failure to write it down would likely not save your job.

Concerning a suspension during a pre termination period.... This could likely be rather neutral.... However, it does seem to indicate that whatever conduct is alleged... They are taking seriously.

I recognize this answer is vague.... but so was your original post.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:42 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
I recognize this answer is vague.... but so was your original post.
...which is just one reason why the OP should have posted his/her query in the following forum, rather than a specifically NJ-centric forum:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

Old 03-10-2018, 07:59 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,087,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heychica111 View Post
Does being suspended prior to termination
If you were suspended without pay, then you need to file for unemployment right now (in the eyes of the UI people, you were already fired). You do that because the employer is currently investigating. They don't have quite enough to get your UI denied, or they'd have already fired you. They have the burden of proof so beat them to the punch.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:06 AM

2,895 posts, read 2,145,496 times
Quote:
When the policy was verbally given to me I sent a very detailed email to my supervisor explaining some serious ethical concerns about what my employer was doing and potentially violating the Privacy rights of our clients.

bold move.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:17 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Why so cryptic? What was the policy and what did you do?

My bet is you will be dismissed. They want you gone, they are just trying to determine the correct way to go about it. They might keep you on awhile if they decide they are on shaky ground but it's only a matter of time until they find a solid reason.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:11 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
If it's not in writing, file for unemployment, unless you're in a probationary period, typically your first 90 days of employment. They'd be silly to fire someone over something that's not in a written contract signed by you. Corporations usually have policies in place to avoid paying unemployment.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:25 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,468,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
If you were suspended without pay, then you need to file for unemployment right now (in the eyes of the UI people, you were already fired). You do that because the employer is currently investigating. They don't have quite enough to get your UI denied, or they'd have already fired you. They have the burden of proof so beat them to the punch.
Seconded, as someone who received unemployment for a two-week suspension (but am fully aware of the tricks employers pull to get it reversed at a later time). Most of the information people receive about unemployment is just dead wrong. The posters on this forum are very helpful when it comes to UI, and they can get you started on how to get your benefits. Do not blindly listen to the people who say "you can't get unemployment if you're fired for cause" blah blah. UI has its own rules and laws that are fact and case specific. File, and then get your butt over to the UI forum for help navigating the system. Let a UI judge tell you you aren't entitled to benefits - not a layperson with little to no knowledge of the law.

Last edited by treemoni; 03-10-2018 at 12:34 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 12:49 PM

32 posts, read 18,383 times
Quote:
The policy they are stating I violated is not in writing anywhere and I don't even have a copy of it. When the policy was verbally given to me I sent a very detailed email to my supervisor explaining some serious ethical concerns about what my employer was doing and potentially violating the Privacy rights of our clients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
bold move.
Unfortunately, by emailing a response to the verbal notice, he acknowledged that he was told of the policy.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:02 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,468,191 times
OP doesn't come back? Hmmmm. Interesting. People think they're so clever when they're not. A big "hello" to the information gatherers.

Last edited by treemoni; 03-12-2018 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Edited because I know what you did last summer, and I see you. *wink*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment