Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 02:39 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,655,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
Thats why I have always gravitated to straight comission or tipped jobs like bartending. You create your own raises.

Don't like what you're making? Then go make another sale!

You'll never get what you feel you are worth in corporate America. The difference between what you are paid and the value of your work is their profit. To survive, you better be creating more value than you cost any company.

Self employment, commissioned sales or even bartending will give you more control of your compensation.

Dont get discouraged, use it as a reason to create your own raises. Best of luck.
I don't know, I think I'm being paid fairly right now; currently getting $18/hr and averaging over 50hrs per week, that's above the median for my position here in Greater Phoenix by $1.14/hr according to Indeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 02:50 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
2 percent for meets expectations l. 2.5 or 3 for exceeds
Amusing thing is, in some circles, they also cap the # of people who can qualify for "exceptional performance"

Old 03-13-2018, 02:58 PM

17,635 posts, read 13,430,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
It was a whopping 2%. .
Mazel tov!

Old 03-13-2018, 03:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,761,583 times
My avg annual raise varies from 2-30% depending on where I land as an independent consultant.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:26 PM

17,635 posts, read 13,430,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Mazel tov!
Can't edit, past deadline

I meant to say "Mazel tov, at least you got a raise!"

Old 03-13-2018, 08:53 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,885,743 times
I was told last year that I will never again get a raise because I have topped out salary-wise with my company. Now, if I were actually doing this as a career , not just doing it because I like the work and do not need the money, I would, of course, be looking for a job. But I am ok where I am right now, so I will let it pass.

But, I agree, the fastest way to get a significant raise is to change jobs. When I was younger, if someone offered me another $5K a year, I was gone.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:38 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,563,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
It was a whopping 2%. I did a lot this last year, but also struggled at first when I first came on. My director always says good things about me, but 2%?!! The most that I ever received when I last worked for a company was 4- 4.5% back in the mid-90s. My manager at that time told me that was higher than normal. The Director let me know by phone since she is out of state. I so wanted to ask her how I could get a higher rating next time, but time ran short since she had to call my counterpart to announce a reorganization before it was common knowledge by e-mail.
What is a typical rate increase for you out there who work for a large company? In my case, it’s a health insurance company.
Not really comparable as I'm on a multi-year contract. Step increases are 5-7% every year, per the contract, not including company-wide increases which are added to the step increase. I believe the company average is 2-6% for merit raises.

Thank god I don't have to deal with ratings and whatnot.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:39 PM

638 posts, read 530,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You don't grow your income via annual raises. You change jobs (internally or externally) to get the biggest jumps.
No need to rain on anyone's parade.

A bonus is still a bonus!

Old 03-14-2018, 05:06 AM

9 posts, read 3,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You don't grow your income via annual raises. You change jobs (internally or externally) to get the biggest jumps.
I totally agree with Charlygal, I think, you should change job to get higher raises. According to me, 2% is too much less amount for annual raises.

Thanks!!

Old 03-14-2018, 10:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Amusing thing is, in some circles, they also cap the # of people who can qualify for "exceptional performance"
Well, I don't find that amusing at all, since we do it. Actually it's a budget issue, the overall annual raises for the entire workforce of 2,000 is set based on a percentage basis, with only 10% getting the top rating.
People who do everything they are supposed to according to their job description and make no errors are considered satisfactory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment