Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:57 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,686,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I was told last year that I will never again get a raise because I have topped out salary-wise with my company.
That's where I was with my last employer. Topped out in my pay band, and I couldn't get an answer about how to get me into the next band. When I got an offer for a great job with a 10%+ bump in base comp, I gave notice... and my PM asked why didn't I give them a chance to counter, was this about money, and I was like yeah, I've asked several times over the last year how to get a bump and no response!

The day any employer tells me, "You can't get a raise" is the day I start looking, no matter how great the job is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 11:20 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,486,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
That's where I was with my last employer. Topped out in my pay band, and I couldn't get an answer about how to get me into the next band. When I got an offer for a great job with a 10%+ bump in base comp, I gave notice... and my PM asked why didn't I give them a chance to counter, was this about money, and I was like yeah, I've asked several times over the last year how to get a bump and no response!

The day any employer tells me, "You can't get a raise" is the day I start looking, no matter how great the job is.
I like your style. Same goes for me. Once I start getting excuses about no pay increases and no opportunities for advancement, I start looking.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 AM

111 posts, read 180,966 times
What is a raise? I've worked at my current job with either at performance level or mostly above performance level ratings and have not had a raise. They responded to my asking for a raise with "we wish we could give you a raise but we can't afford it." As they drive off in their company cars. Tell me why a maintenance supervisor has a company car?

You what I did to get a raise? I just found a new job paying $7 more.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:17 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,754,336 times
Within the past six months, I received what was called a "rate adjustment" of 26%. I have a feeling that the merit increases this year will max at 3%, but I'm pretty sure my rate adjustment will mean that I don't qualify for that. I'm not complaining, though.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:41 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,780,688 times
Go get another job. That’s how you get raises. Just make sure you don’t jump too much because they will see you as a mercenary

Old 03-14-2018, 04:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,274,841 times
I work for a large company. We just instituted a new forced ranking type of evaluation system where 2% of the department must be ranked at the low end and another 2% must be ranked at the top end. Everybody else falls under 'meets expectations'

I came out of an early retirement to take a data entry job (just to keep busy and to make a few extra bucks). I'm way overqualified to do my job so I was surprised that I didn't knock the evaluation out of the park. I got exceed expectations on half of the review and meets on the other half for a total 'meets expectations' over all which was good for 2.5%

I was kinda upset and thinking about just retiring again but they offered me a new position 3 salary grades higher than my current so when all the paperwork is complete, my base will rise by about $21k or about a 50% raise.

Not too shabby and getting out of data entry will be nice. hopefully everything works out and I actually get the position.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,717,955 times
2-3% is pretty standard IF you get a raise. Be happy you got one! Many people don't get raises anymore.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:32 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,728,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
2-3% is pretty standard IF you get a raise. Be happy you got one! Many people don't get raises anymore.
Wow, if I got a 3% raise next year, that would be a whole 54 cents per hour; not even worth it. Better to just change jobs if you can find one paying at least 20% of what you're currently making that will give you an offer.

I raised my pay almost 30% in just 6 months if you don't count a job I had for two weeks last month that paid $1,300/week (based in miles and stop pay)

I was making $14/hr last October, job I took to quit that one paid $16/hr for the first 90 days, then bumped up to $17/hr. Current job pays $18/hr (though is not time and a half).

So the hours required to hit $500

Job 1: 35.75 ($14/hr)
Job 2a: 31.25 ($16/hr)
Job 2b: 29.45 ($17/hr)
Current job: 28.75 ($18/hr)

Old 03-14-2018, 07:33 PM

876 posts, read 820,035 times
I took a position in 2016. It was on the low end but I'm well beyond peak my peak earning years and felt happy to land it. This could be a line of bs, but my boss said that the standard raise was 3%, but I got 6%. That's not a boast, because I'm still living at a low salary for one of the most expensive cities in the US. But, I accepted the job at a low starting salary and it's fine for now since I like the culture and work.

Had I gotten less than 3% it would definitely have motivated me to start an earnest job search.

Last edited by A1eutian; 03-14-2018 at 08:00 PM..

Old 03-14-2018, 08:02 PM

605 posts, read 277,593 times
Warehouse jobs, 10-14%.
First software job, > 30%
Second software job: recently started, not sure what I'll go for yet. Probably less than 30%, but we'll see.
(all numbers refer to raises within the same company, without a significant change in job position)

The key is mostly... ignoring rules. Though, it takes certain life experience to execute, and some amount of calculated-risk.

(Of course, you should be on the right side of supply-and-demand; otherwise any strategy is unlikely to give great returns).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment