Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 06:00 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Don't get me wrong. My family value education above all else. We have quite a few phd's, and they all are doing very well for themselves. Every one of them is either a department head of their company or team leader.

I'm not at all dissing higher education. Both my husband and I are college grads. We wouldn't trade it for the world.

It just bothers me to see so many phd's trapped in poverty because they won't do anything to better their situation. Psychologists call this learned helplessness. Highly educated people ought to know better!
Some people in academia or higher education are not business-oriented or money-driven. Some are straight up hippies as the stereotype paints them. This is not a knock on them. It's a reality of our society. Some people chase money. Some people chase ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,587,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Some people in academia or higher education are not business-oriented or money-driven. Some are straight up hippies as the stereotype paints them. This is not a knock on them. It's a reality of our society. Some people chase money. Some people chase ideas.
Then they aren't concerned about getting a high paying job, what's the issue here?

And a PhD in art or whatever, how does it exclude them from getting a job doing something else? If their hobby is art, their job does not need to be in the same field

For some reason, people on CD seem to think getting a degree in X forces them to work in X field... a degree isn't some gun to your head forcing you to only work X jobs

Old 03-19-2018, 06:38 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Then they aren't concerned about getting a high paying job, what's the issue here?

And a PhD in art or whatever, how does it exclude them from getting a job doing something else? If their hobby is art, their job does not need to be in the same field

For some reason, people on CD seem to think getting a degree in X forces them to work in X field... a degree isn't some gun to your head forcing you to only work X jobs
I don't disagree. Just pointing out my own observations. A vast number of people don't work in their initial degree subject as a profession. I used to work for a guy who had a small, but successful warehousing and logistics company and he had a BFA and a MFA.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:08 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,925,327 times
Quote:
Agreed. Many of these people have no desire to chase in the rat race.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:19 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,205,513 times
Quote:
... they get paid less than custodians. Worse, they do not have any benefits or job security.
This isn't that different from the many media jobs that rely on freelancers with multiple degrees from prestigious universities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Agreed. Many of these people have no desire to chase in the rat race.
... and then brag about it online, most every chance they get.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,569,214 times
Quote:
^^^ LOL trust me flipping houses will not earn you any fame

Edit.

Also, if you do a little research, adjunct professors make up 75% of all college professors in the country right now.
Adjuncts are just part time employees. In academia, the money is in tenured tracked professorships. Adjuncts know this and they still choose to do the job. That's on them.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:27 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,142,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
... and then brag about it online, most every chance they get.
https://www.youtube.com/user/danielsveryown

Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 PM

12,925 posts, read 9,190,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Frankly, I wonder if some of them should try to become teachers instead. I mean, it's similar to teaching at a college or university, but at a lower level.
Probably in many cases the artificial barrier to entry that requires an education degree/education coursework instead of subject matter expertise. I've been a practicing physicist & engineering project manager for years but after I got out of the service, I attempted to become a physics teacher. Found out that no school district would talk to me because I didn't have a teaching degree. Subject matter degrees don't matter unless you also get the education credits. An artificial barrier to entry that keeps a lot of highly skilled people from second careers passing on what they have learned.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:50 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,892,406 times
Quote:
But don't open the door marked "Tiger" if you really want what's behind the one marked "Lady." It's not as if there are no clues today.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:29 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,769,159 times
Years ago, I worked as a "lecturer" in a small private university, while in the process of completing a Ph.D thesis in American History. Because the place was very "collegial" I was asked to attend faculty meetings. That did it. After 6 years, I put the Ph.D thesis aside; registered for an MS program in an Agrucltural and Resource/Environmetal Economics program at the same Midwestern land grant university. I got my MS in a year; worked in my field, oustide of academia, until I was 73 (getting a Ph.D in the process), and never looked back.

I initially picked the wrong field at the wrong time in the academic world, but that isn't what soured me, nor was the job. It was the petty rivalries among the faculty, the endless bickering over trivial issues in faculty meetings and in the halls, and the general discontentment among most of the faculty members with their jobs and lives in, general, that drove me off.

These adjunct professors also have choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment