Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:12 AM

10,785 posts, read 5,708,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've not met any Ph.D.s who was told this, nevermind the rest of us. We certainly have not "all" been told this.
I was told this. And it's worked out exactly as described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 12:07 PM

24,027 posts, read 15,129,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
My relative teaches in the Inland Empire here in CA. That $105k also includes medical/dental, however she will retire on about 80k. A full retirement package requires 30 years I believe. She started teaching in her forties and is just now retiring at 75.

If he were to apply in more affluent areas of LA (Palos Verdes, Beach Cities, Belmont Shores, or south to La Jolla..etc.) the pay would probably be even higher.
Manhattan living daughter was offered 150 a year to be director of a Bay Area pre school. She decided Manhattan was a cheaper place to live.

If grandson had to have Nunes as a Congressperson to make 100K a year, he'd say the money was not worth it.

Thanks anyway.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:56 PM

50,945 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Digging ditches is pretty hard work. Are you suggesting that ditch diggers should be significantly higher on the pay scale than they are?
Ditch diggers work for the state, county or city and probably get better pay, benefits and pensions than many in white collar jobs.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:06 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,708,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ditch diggers work for the state, county or city and probably get better pay, benefits and pensions than many in white collar jobs.
Possibly, but I was talking about private sector ditch diggers.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:19 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,657,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Oh well. If you saw it on YouTube, it must be true.

Why do you even care either way since you are working your way to future fame and money by flipping houses, no problemo?

I can click on YouTube and find people complaining about everything from aardvarks to zebras except that I have better things to do with my time.

I guess house flippers get bored if they don't have a family to kick out of their home at the moment.

Carry on.
I don't care how much money my grown kids earn. They are doing quite well, with liberal arts degrees in various fields.

They don't exploit people which is what house flippers do. Buy cheap from foreclosures. Sell high. Own "Rent to Own" properties. Evict people.

ETA - two of my son's started as adjuncts.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:25 PM

17,615 posts, read 13,406,093 times
Way too many PhDs with useless degrees out in the wild

Old 03-20-2018, 05:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,566,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Frankly, I wonder if some of them should try to become teachers instead. I mean, it's similar to teaching at a college or university, but at a lower level.

Also, stories such as these is why exactly I am leaning more towards becoming a teacher. I mean, I love history and thus I might as well do something that I love. However, at least being a teacher would result in a much higher pay and in much more job security for you.

Yes, some do. I know one highly frustrated 'adjunct" that finally ended up getting a great paying job at a private school AND he didn't have to get that teaching certificate because he majored in the subject he ended up teaching. To teach in a public school, I think he would have had to get that teaching degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
I think the real, underlying complaint is that college teaching jobs have turned into a gig, much like driving for Uber. The colleges and universities charge megabucks for tuition and pay the adjuncts who teach the courses a mere pittance.

The system survives because these adjuncts believed they were going to become tenured college professors like those teaching them. That's what they trained for. But so many of them were produced that there weren't jobs for them. So they took whatever they could get. Colleges and universities saw the glut and realized that they didn't need to have full-time positions. There were more than enough part-timers available. So much of the work became part-time.

Department stores have done the same thing. Why hire a full-timer when two (or three) part-timers allow you to staff more efficiently? You can have two workers at peak times instead of just one. Not having to pay them benefits or even work them at all when not needed (without having to pay unemployment) is icing on the cake.

I was an adjunct in addition to my full-time job as a high school English teacher. It is a lot harder than one poster made it seem to be, but that's largely because I taught English 101 and 102 classes. Grading essays is horrendous.

I mean I think you are 100% correct. Colleges are making more and more money but instead of spending it on TEACHING or LEARNING - they invest in that big 'student center' because they think it will attract more students.

Every job is going to be a 'gig' one of these days. In my large company - we now outsource many jobs that used to be done by full time employees with healthcare and pensions, etc. Now - some OTHER company hires part time workers to do these jobs and we pay them.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,967,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It depends on where. There was a brouhaha going on in WVa a couple weeks ago. Something about the pay scale.

My friend teaches AP math. She had aa masters and 30 years. The most she can make is 65K a year.

Tell me where an elementary teacher can pull down 105 a year so i can send my grandson there.
Long Island, NY

Old 03-20-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Way too many PhDs with useless degrees out in the wild
Yep.

What use is there for medieval history majors? Other than to teach medieval history classes.

She should be thankful she has a job, not complaining.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The problem is people are associating college degrees with making money. Many college degrees are solely for personal enrichment, and not necessarily enriching your pocket book.
This.

Just because people with PhDs care that they have have a PhD, doesn't mean that everyone else does.

Quite frankly, I bet someone who went to tech school for 2 years is more employable and using what he actually studied/learned to earn a living than most of those who hold liberal arts PhDs from non-Ivy schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment