Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:32 AM

6,418 posts, read 4,149,222 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz4pK8UP4PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbWFcqbefMs&t=5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATsUn_EG6VI

Do a search for adjunct professor on youtube to get more videos like that.

I've been watching those video documentaries on adjunct professors who live in poverty because they get paid less than custodians. Worse, they do not have any benefits or job security.

So, apparently, a phd does not necessarily get a person the high pay and job security like what we have all been told.

While I was watching these videos, here are the thoughts that came up in my head.

My full time job is an engineering manager. My husband just graduated college and started working for a temp agency at $12/hr while he looks for a full time job that utilizes his degree with good pay. In the mean time, we own a business flipping houses. Instead of hiring contractors to do the work, we do ALL the work ourselves, including plumbing, electrical, etc. Because we are using sweat equity to flip the houses, the profits we make from flipping houses are considerably higher than normal flippers per house. We are saving every penny we get from these houses to expand our real estates business in the long run.

In other words, aside from our full time jobs, we also do other things to better our financial future.

Aren't phd people suppose to be smarter than the rest of us? If they can't find a tenure position, why not attack their financial situation from multiple fronts? A lot of these adjunct professors say teaching is their passion. Well, ok, find something that is profitable and do that in addition to teaching. My husband and I both work full time and we also flip houses in addition to our full time jobs. Trust me, when you have the will you will find the time.

If these adjunct professors can't make ends meet at the end of the day, why not be creative and do other things to subsidize their passion? Complaining about it does absolutely nothing to better their situation. In fact, that's what low skilled minimum wage workers do, complain about it instead of actually doing something to better their situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 11:44 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,979,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

I've been watching those video documentaries on adjunct professors who live in poverty because they get paid less than custodians. Worse, they do not have any benefits or job security.

So, apparently, a phd does not necessarily get a person the high pay and job security like what we have all been told.

While I was watching these videos, here are the thoughts that came up in my head.

My full time job is an engineering manager. My husband just graduated college and started working for a temp agency at $12/hr while he looks for a full time job that utilizes his degree with good pay. In the mean time, we own a business flipping houses. Instead of hiring contractors to do the work, we do ALL the work ourselves, including plumbing, electrical, etc. Because we are using sweat equity to flip the houses, the profits we make from flipping houses are considerably higher than normal flippers per house. We are saving every penny we get from these houses to expand our real estates business in the long run.

In other words, aside from our full time jobs, we also do other things to better our financial future.

Aren't phd people suppose to be smarter than the rest of us? If they can't find a tenure position, why not attack their financial situation from multiple fronts? A lot of these adjunct professors say teaching is their passion. Well, ok, find something that is profitable and do that in addition to teaching. My husband and I both work full time and we also flip houses in addition to our full time jobs. Trust me, when you have the will you will find the time.

If these adjunct professors can't make ends meet at the end of the day, why not be creative and do other things to subsidize their passion? Complaining about it does absolutely nothing to better their situation. In fact, that's what low skilled minimum wage workers do, complain about it instead of actually doing something to better their situation.
Oh well. If you saw it on YouTube, it must be true.

Why do you even care either way since you are working your way to future fame and money by flipping houses, no problemo?

I can click on YouTube and find people complaining about everything from aardvarks to zebras except that I have better things to do with my time.

I guess house flippers get bored if they don't have a family to kick out of their home at the moment.

Carry on.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:48 AM

53,452 posts, read 35,143,365 times
these are the bulk of people doing the actual teaching and yeah, they are largely getting bent over.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:48 AM

^^^ LOL trust me flipping houses will not earn you any fame

Edit.

Also, if you do a little research, adjunct professors make up 75% of all college professors in the country right now.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:57 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,278,717 times
Quote:

The reality is that with PhDs, just like all other degrees, their salary and desirability depend on the major and the colleges. A STEM or business PhDs can make banks, an Art History PhDs can work at Starbucks. A Harvard PhD grad will generally have better offers than a Fremont University PhD grad.

It doesn't surprise me that the complaining PhDs in the youtube video majored in Theology, English, and French Literature. Nothing against those majors, and for sure I am not cut out for any one of them. But the harsh reality is that not too many high paying jobs sought those degrees. A French Literature PhD who is making $20,000 a year is actually getting paid "well" relative to their peers. The French Literature bachelor or the master probably combined make close to $0 in the field of French Literature. In all likelihood the bachelors and the masters probably never even offered the chance to work in any capacity relating to French Literature. The way I see it, the PhD allows a French Literature grad to work in the field that he/she loves, that's it. Another way to put it: If a person insist on working in French Literature and nothing else, then get a PhD. The salary is low but at least that person gets to do what he/she wants to do. That's the power of the PhD - it allows you to make money in a sector that other people makes squad.

As for finding other jobs, well what job can they do? Most every job requires them to start from scratch and the lure of a teaching gig (their passion) often times are too tempting to pass up, low pay or not. There are musicians, actors, writers, who makes little money but keep doing what they are doing because that's their passion. I put these adjunct professors in the same group.

Last edited by beb0p; 03-16-2018 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-16-2018, 12:29 PM

89,657 posts, read 45,271,922 times
I'm having a hard time understanding how ANYONE with a PhD can be this stupid:
Quote:
"...she, a white woman with a Ph.D. in medieval history and an adjunct professor, came to rely on food stamps and Medicaid. Ms. Bruninga-Matteau, a 43-year-old single mother who teaches two humanities courses at Yavapai College, in Prescott, Ariz...

This semester she is working 20 hours each week, prepping, teaching, advising, and grading papers for two courses at Yavapai, a community college with campuses in Chino Valley, Clarkdale, Prescott, Prescott Valley, and Sedona. Her take-home pay is $900 a month, of which $750 goes to rent. Each week, she spends $40 on gas to get her to the campus; she lives 43 miles away, where housing is cheaper...

"The media gives us this image that people who are on public assistance are dropouts, on drugs or alcohol, and are irresponsible," she says. "I'm not irresponsible. I'm highly educated. I have a whole lot of skills besides knowing about medieval history, and I've had other jobs. I've never made a lot of money, but I've been able to make enough to live on. Until now."
https://www.chronicle.com/article/Fr...hool-to/131795

That woman IS the very definition of irresponsible. And skills? WHAT skills? She says she's had other jobs but never made a lot of money. That means no/low-skilled.

Even more stupidity ensues if you read the entire article. /SMH

Old 03-16-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

As for finding other jobs, well what job can they do? Most every job requires them to start from scratch and the lure of a teaching gig (their passion) often times are too tempting to pass up, low pay or not. There are musicians, actors, writers, who makes little money but keep doing what they are doing because that's their passion. I put these adjunct professors in the same group.

The point of the free market is it allows a creative person to figure out something that he or she can do to earn money. Do you want me to spoon feed them what they should specifically do to subsidize their income as adjuncts?

Here is a possibility. Years ago I wrote a few mobile apps that earned me a steady stream of couple thousand a month in addition to my full time job income. After years of neglecting these apps, as in no upgrades at all for years, they are still earning me a couple hundred bucks a month.

These are phd people. Do you really want me to spoon feed them what they should do to subsidize their income as adjuncts?
What happened to their creativity?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

That woman IS the very definition of irresponsible. And skills? WHAT skills? She says she's had other jobs but never made a lot of money. That means no/low-skilled.

Dunning Kruger effect in full swing here.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:51 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,994,595 times
Quote:

They knew exactly what they were getting into when they got that PhD....

Old 03-16-2018, 12:57 PM

24,201 posts, read 15,267,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

She sure as hack is not smart enough to figure out what she saves on rent is spent on transportation.

All my grandchildren want to be school teachers. One at the college level. They also can do other things. One makes more money than a teacher selling guitars.

They decided there is more to life than a bunch of money. A big income is not important to them. But what enables the kids is knowing they have family security should any catastrophe come their way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment