Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:50 PM

674 posts, read 608,449 times

Advertisements

I worked in a rural area of NC. There is a severe nursing shortage; we had to use travel RNs all the time even though they are very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 07:37 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Good nurses have many options. There are many avenues which will reward you.
If you enjoy caring for people and are emotionally generous it can be a good choice. If you go to it for the money look elsewhere. It’s a satisfying and deeply meaningful career.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:11 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
since nurse practitioner programs are now DNP programs while PA programs are still a longer master’s degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I believe many states now require a DNP to be a nurse practitioner, so it is even longer than mentioned above. If a person is starting now without any nursing education, I would not assume that it will stay master’s level for another 4-6 years since many states already require the DNP.
There are no states that require a doctorate to practice as a Nurse Practitioner! Nada. None. Not sure why so many people think this.
Nurse Practitioner programs around the country award MSN's degree's on a regular basis and that allows for licensure and full practice authority. One does not need a doctorate degree to be a NP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post

- There is no nursing shortage. There is some demand for bedside nurses with critical care experience who want to work night shift and weekends. Nursing salaries are actually going down in a lot of places.
- Hospitals usually won't hire you without a BSN. However, they can and do hire foreign nurses and pay them far less.
- You will need a DNP these days to be a nurse practitioner, plus nursing experience. I know several NPs who work as nurses because, as I stated above, most of the demand is for bedside nursing in critical care or high skill units.
- You probably won't find a non-bedside job out of school, most nurses who work for insurance companies and other office jobs have 10 plus years of experience.
- Patients will bite you, kick you, spit on you, vomit on you, verbally abuse you, and you have to be nice to them.
Some of your statements are true, some are not.
  • Nurse salaries are not going down. Cite your source for that assertion. They are rising.
  • There are plenty of hospitals that will hire an ADN (associate degree nurse) around the country, this includes several major metro areas in the U.S.
    Yes, even without a BSN.
  • One does not need a DNP (doctorate in nursing practice) to become a nurse practitioner. There are many, many master's programs still in existence and pumping out a plethora of graduates. Most NP's who work as RN's do it because the hours, stress, and compensation are better, especially in union states.
  • Usually a few years experience at the bedside is the minimum requirement for utilization review positions, insurance, etc.
  • Nurses do not have to be nice when patients act that way. They can firmly lay down the rules, get the physician and security involved, and make it clear that behavior isn't tolerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think if you will work in rural North Dakota or Alaska, you can pretty much name your price. But outside of those areas not so much.
Not the case. RN's in Alaska and North Dakota won't successfully achieve a higher wage per hour. In ND they make in the $20's per hour. Rural AK pays in the 30's/hr and occasionally 40's/hr.

Last edited by Code Stemi; 08-19-2018 at 01:43 AM..

Old 08-19-2018, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post

Your Starting Salary? - pg.10 | allnurses

I'm browsing this thread of recent nurse salaries, and it seems like ~$30/hour+ for high cost areas (NY, CA), $25 for thriving metros, $20 for stagnant metros. Those aren't amazing, but still much higher than minimum wage, and it's just the starting salary.
This is a more recent and realistic thread of what RN's make in 2018 if you want to browse it.

https://allnurses.com/general-nursin...y-1146559.html

Old 08-19-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
You should seriously watch some Medical dramas on TV before considering it. IMO ones like "The Resident" are accurate regarding some things. But know that sabotage is everywhere in every industry and once you are sabotaged in Medicine you can lose your license and you're done permanently. Plus under certain circumstances you can be personally sued and go to jail facing criminal charges.

"It's a No from me"
It is extremely rare for a nurse to be sued, and even more rare to have their license revoked from the BON (board of nursing). Further, going to jail? Exceptionally unlikely to happen to the average RN, although, possible. As in, narcotic diversion, intentional harm to a patient, etc.

Also, stating to watch medical dramas on television before considering changing to a career in nursing is very out of touch with reality. They have very little in common with real world nursing scenarios.

Last edited by Code Stemi; 08-19-2018 at 02:06 AM..

Old 08-19-2018, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Might look good on paper, but working a difficult job say as a RN in an intensive care unit, where YOU are basically responsible to keep patients alive and improving, (no MDs in ICU).....it's extremely exhausting on a daily basis.

By the time you get to your days off, you are still so tired...
I work as an RN in the ICU. There are plenty of MD's around. Even on night shift at smaller hospitals. They may not be physically in the unit 24/7, but they are a phone call away if needed. ICU nurses do have more autonomy than most nursing specialties, but always need a physician's order in which to base their actions upon.

Last edited by Code Stemi; 08-19-2018 at 02:08 AM..

Old 08-19-2018, 11:03 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Some of your statements are true, some are not.
  • Nurse salaries are not going down. Cite your source for that assertion. They are rising.
  • There are plenty of hospitals that will hire an ADN (associate degree nurse) around the country, this includes several major metro areas in the U.S.
    Yes, even without a BSN.
  • One does not need a DNP (doctorate in nursing practice) to become a nurse practitioner. There are many, many master's programs still in existence and pumping out a plethora of graduates. Most NP's who work as RN's do it because the hours, stress, and compensation are better, especially in union states.
  • Usually a few years experience at the bedside is the minimum requirement for utilization review positions, insurance, etc.
  • Nurses do not have to be nice when patients act that way. They can firmly lay down the rules, get the physician and security involved, and make it clear that behavior isn't tolerated.
While a DNP is not yet required, that’s certainly the “end game” and will eventually be the case: https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...octoral-degree

Nursing salaries are on the decline (Medscape): https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...on-the-decline

As for utilization rewview, the lowest minimum requirement might be a few years of bedside nursing, plus knowledge of coding and billing. But most people who actually get those positions have many years of experience. Plus, it’s becoming even more difficult and competitive as more nurses graduate with no interest in working as a nurse, they just want a non-clinical job that pays them a lot of money.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:02 PM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
While a DNP is not yet required, that’s certainly the “end game” and will eventually be the case: https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...octoral-degree

Nursing salaries are on the decline (Medscape): https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...on-the-decline

As for utilization rewview, the lowest minimum requirement might be a few years of bedside nursing, plus knowledge of coding and billing. But most people who actually get those positions have many years of experience. Plus, it’s becoming even more difficult and competitive as more nurses graduate with no interest in working as a nurse, they just want a non-clinical job that pays them a lot of money.

“Eventually” doesn’t matter. All nurses will be grandfathered into the new requirements. OT now requires a Masters and PT now a DPT. I’m grandfathered in with a bachelors in OT and I have a supervisor grandfathered into PT with a bachelors from long ago. Neither of us have ever been at a disadvantage when it comes to getting jobs. Once in a while a specialized job will specifically ask for a Masters level OT but it’s very rare.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Nowhere in your first article did it say a DNP "will eventually be the case". There is no mandate for a DNP to become a nurse practitioner anywhere in the U.S. Zilch. It is a recommendation only, and master's programs continue to thrive on.

The 2nd article is two years old and outdated. Nursing salaries are rising all up and down the west coast.

Are you an RN? How can you claim to know so much about it if you don't even work in the actual profession.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:59 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I worked in a rural area of NC. There is a severe nursing shortage; we had to use travel RNs all the time even though they are very expensive.
Of cours there is a shortage.. and when HC Site ( Hospitals usually) uses Agency Nurses>> The Bill costs are increased ( far beyond what the actual nurse makes) Who makes the profits?? THE AGENCY and NOT the nurse!!
This has been going on for many decades because workplaces don't want to provide benefits to any worker!! So they can bring in RN's to a site they have zero experience in as to location of provisions and zero idea on "Policies" the list is endless!! Guess who has to monitor then??Guess who ends responsible IF these Agency fill in's make a mistake? It no doubt is a nightmare but for experienced worker's it is aNIGHTMARE!!

After 35+ years.. That I worked with Agency RN's and until I felt comfortable that they KNEW when to clarify or ask IF something is according to P&P to our unit .. I WATCHED them like a Hawk..Not in a adversarial way BUT to make sure THEY understood things! I got thanked so many times over the years because of that!

ie.. In some Hospitals certain DRUG IV Injections are NOT covered for an RN to give.. YET some may order IV injections of a DRUG and Agency Nurse may give NOT knowing give it ~~ In my decade long history in the "Front lines" of Patient care.. IF some nurse crosses a linen following any order DR> asked for.. THAT doctor could very well deny and throw NURSE under the BUS.

How many times I've called out Dr's or 40+ years is endless.. and Most times they backtracked or literally ran down... WHY? > because THEY knew I was DOCUMENTING it on the record they were advised !!

I also, worked short period as Agency Nurse and drove the Local nurses crazy.. because I would always ask to view their P&P Manual when I was asked to do something I was unfamiliar with or unsure of coverages in THAT Hospital!!

AS to OP's Headline.. Nursing Student registration rejections has never been any different.. When I applied I had to fill out a day long multifaceted Test with a monitor who submitted the test.. and had to wait over a month for results ( 1967) before I was even accepted.. Then in 1998 ( I was accepted) out of the 198 accepted Nurses.. over 68 students got booted after first year!! Graduation Class only "Black Banded" about 116 fellow students in the end! Point was back in that day was it's focused onPatient care.. BUT was preached to dally.. LEARN/BE informed/Dr's aren't perfect /Protect yourself ethically etc etc! So when Agency RN's come under one's per few.. I couldn't stop protecting them/myself and ESPECIALLY the patient.. Patient Advocate was the "Order of the DAY" and that goes back to the1970's!!

ETA~~ My first year of working as RN I made. 2.69 an hour.. after 45 years of service in high critical care work places> MY final per hour salary was only $30.00 an hour.. Kind of makes people think.. about just who makes more pay for service and for what you actually
get back in return. eh?

Last edited by Lyndarn; 08-19-2018 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment