Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:24 AM

9,913 posts, read 7,738,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Sometimes profession programs are only offered full time for a reason (i.e a person needs full immersion to gain the necessary knowledge and skills). My wife's friends who have gone on to be Nurse Anesthetists were not allowed to work at all while they went through the program. They had to quit high paying jobs that had flexible hours as RNs AND pay large sums to go back to school. #doublewammy Obviously it will pay off long term as the CRNAs are well compensated, but can make for a tough year or two.
Still in larger States do see more part time programs. Think it depends on how many Teachers schools can get and how flexible teachers are willing to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 11:46 AM

34,147 posts, read 83,198,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Nursing has always been a field that's difficult to get into.
Then the first year of classes are used to weed out those accepted.
"Rather like how the US Marines do it." ~paraphrased quote from an RN I once knew

Old 05-03-2018, 11:55 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,680,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I understand the accelerated options. As the article mentioned, entrance into nursing schools is very competitive now. From reading allnurses.com, ACE > BSN > ADN in terms of least likely to be accepted.

I planned to take prereqs (6 hours a semester) while working. Although if I get jaded, I can quit my job and go full time with loans, and fulltime would allow me to take chemistry concurrently with other science.
I don't think you do understand. Part of my point is that you should contact the schools with the accelerated programs. There's a very good chance that you are, as I mentioned, wasting your time and money. You might not even need the prerequisite classes that you are taking. But go ahead and do that - it's certainly your choice and makes no difference to me.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:20 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,651,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I want to try nursing school, as a current accounting degree holder. Make $85,000 now, doing IT/finance work, but sick of office politics, long commutes, 5x a week 8-5.
Isn't there "office" politics everywhere? As long as you have people working with each other, there will always be politics of some kind, even if you're a nurse and everyone is walking around and you're not literally in the same room with them.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:26 PM

9,913 posts, read 7,738,325 times
There's B.S. in the nursing realm. Have to deal with cliques, upper management, colleagues, see some stuff you'll never forget, and ridiculous policies. The profession cam eat you for breakfast and spit you out for dinner. Plus have to deal with various individuals with an air to themselves and kiss higher up clinical professionals booty.

I mean I am still going for it. Been in the health field for 10 plus year's. You meet some great people. Work with some amazing and smart people. At times do make a difference.

With nursing school learned it's a few things. You are either perfect 90 or above TEAS and 4.0 to be accepted. The other route is cough up big chunks of dough.

Last edited by RunD1987; 05-03-2018 at 03:39 PM..

Old 05-03-2018, 04:04 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,802,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Nursing has always been a field that's difficult to get into. Then the first year of classes are used to weed out those accepted.
Your right, Nursing school was not only difficult to get into, it was difficult to pass. When I went Nursing school, it was common for "at least" half the class failed. Then you got state boards to take. A lot of people couldn't pass the exams.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:39 PM

55 posts, read 42,540 times
I've been a RN for a little over a year now... took 6 years to finish the prereqs, waitlist, and core. It's a rough job... better than working restaurants, I make a little over $30 an hour with nightshift differential.

There's maybe nursing shortages in rural areas. Pay varies, my base pay is $27.91 an hour without differential. A lot of hospitals are going towards BSN only, but more rural areas will accept ADN.

It's a rough job, and boring at nights. Once you finish your med pass, etc., you spend the rest of your time charting, reading notes, restarting the endless amount if IV pumps that are beeping due to an issue, etc. I work on a Cardiac Med-Surg floor.

Day shift is more intense and has lots of discharges and admissions that you need to keep up with. Nightshift will have admissions, but few discharges.

If you're a guy and do this (I'm a guy) best to stay neutral and don't get sucked into the drama.

Hospitals are very customer service driven too, so best to be nice and happy with people.

Don't necessarily do it for the money, sure we need to earn an income, but if I had your job, I'd stay at your job.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,789,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One of the local colleges dropped Chem as a requirement for Nursing... the Chem department said it was a mistake as it weeded out those more likely not to complete the program... I know the head of the Chem department and her prediction was spot on.

I work with several in the medical profession that have their BSN and do not have the State License... they work in Admin or Insurance Industry.

One thing to remember about nursing is the job is almost as varied as one's imagination...

Many RN's are in management roles... then there are the Public Health Nurses, School Nurses, Nurses that work in industry setting up Hiring protocol... plus a lot that work for Insurance Companies and then those that work in compliance doing inspections/investigations.

A friend got burned out being a floor nurse... for the last 12 years loves his job as an advice nurse... works from his living room and is full time with benefits.

I have worked with Diploma Nurses, those with AA and BSN and MSN and those that came through the military corpsman and challenged the state board... also those that studied in other countries and challenged the state board.

A Director of Nursing way back when I started worded in a Catholic Hospital... she was a Diploma Nurse and her order was a Nursing Order... amazing woman that encompassed everything good about nursing and no college degree... it took several to fill her roles when she retired at 72...

Still remember being sent to borrow equipment or supplies... she looked me straight in the eyes and said she is loaning to me and I am personally responsible for whatever I leave with... YES SISTER!
I am a Diploma nurse who got her BSN. In reality give me 2 Diploma nurses, taught to think critically & with tons of common sense over 5 with advanced book knowledge who quickly got out of the clinical setting for Admin jobs and cannot apply it....I'd rather work with short-handed with the 2 Diploma RNs. It has always been that way. Sadly, they are closing Diploma schools.
The difference I have seen is Diploma Nurses are ready to work on graduation day... and BSN still need two years after to be viable... in general terms but many are very smart... it is just book smart.

Some of the large Hospitals will no longer consider AA or Diploma nurses unless very experienced...

Another thing I have noticed is it is not unusual for BSN nurses to look down on anyone not having a BSN...

When I was working in a small unit... the old line nurses would roll up their sleeves and do whatever needed doing... in the same unit I have heard the BSN nurses say I did not go to college to be a maid, janitor or change diapers...

The other side is nursing commands higher pay because the educational bar has been raised...

Old 05-03-2018, 07:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,789,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Accelerated option isn't really any opition for some individuals. I have taken accelerated classes before and flunked. I need classes spread out.

Also a lot of these nursing programs are full time need more part time nursing programs for working students. Our State only has one part time Associate RN program costing $45K to $50K. Two LPN part time programs costing $30K to $35K.

Need to make RN school more affordable.

Two of our "Recent" hires challenged the board and came up through the military corpsman program... the male came from a very modest background and credits his time in the military giving him a lifetime career... that other combined her military experience and earned educational benefits to earn her Masters....

Both had little difficulty and almost no out of pocket expense in pursuit of a nursing career...

Not so much anymore but we still have several Docs with military service... they are most definitely the ones you want in the trauma unit... seen and done it all under pressure...

Our most senior actually avoided the draft way back when... he had a meeting and was told that he didn't have a choice unless he was planning on leaving the country and not coming back... the options outlined is he could defer and enter as an officer or not...

He candidly said the obvious choice was coming in as an officer... he did 20 years and said the training was amazing... came out with nothing but respect... spent most of career in Germany.

My point is there are often often alternative paths to a career...

Old 05-03-2018, 08:26 PM

9,018 posts, read 13,875,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
That is not true! There are MANY, MANY of us 65+ RNs now retired who worked 12 hr nights x 45+ years. Also, plenty of police, EMS, Firefighters are old, alive and well.
Some of us are genetically predispositioned to being night owls. My Grandma worked her whole life on nights as a waitress in Miami Beach serving the Hollywood elite and wealthy.
I have been a night owl (per my mom) since age 2 yrs and always sought evenings and nights in any position I took in both EMS & then as an ER RN.
My son, now age 26, was a night owl in my belly...awakening and active from 2030 to about 0700 every single night. He goes to University classes from 1400-2000 studying Business & Finance. He plays video games on the night shift with thousands of other 'gamers' arohnd the World who are nnight owls and he is healthy. If working nights was SO HORRIBLE a third of the population would be dead early. I'm not sure who does these 'studies' but maybe they are jealous day shifters who are biased.
I might start a night owl C/D forum!

Night shift nurse here!

That will be a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment