Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 01:42 PM

5,345 posts, read 14,180,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I wouldn't expect wages in Tennessee to be anything like the Bay Area.

Still, I don't think $20-$22/hr is that much to swing for. Local RN/BSNs do not see that for some time.
My wife started her RN career at a major hospital in Memphis in the Step-down ICU unit for a whopping $13.08/hr. or $15.08/hr. back in 2001. I think it was the $13.08/hr. but can't remember for sure.

In 2003 we moved back to my home state of MN. She took a job at a hospital in St. Paul in their ICU unit. I don't remember what her pay was then, but I know it went way up from the TN pay. She now makes $47 or $48/hr. ($100k/yr.) working in much "easier" areas with about 15 years experience (nursing "years" can vary from actual years as it is based on actual hours worked/FTE). Oh, and she only has a A.A. degree from Northwest Mississippi Community College which was super cheap to obtain. #MNrocks

edit: her job is FT with full benefits (not contract or per diem).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 01:49 PM

9,919 posts, read 7,763,800 times
In my State RNs make about $30 am hour to Start. About $28 out of the Hospital. Cool thing is LPNs can make from $20 am hour to $35 an hour. Doing VNA LPNs make bank!

Old 05-02-2018, 06:47 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,686,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I have a phobia about chemistry... Maybe I should get over it, that would open up a lot more options. Even though Georgia State's nursing is really selective, I should be open to Kennesaw or community college BSNs?

So I'm admitted to Georgia State to take classes this summer/fall. I initially planned to just take anatomy in the summer. Maybe I can try chemistry and anatomy if I do the fall.
Did you even bother to read my post with advice about what options are available to you? It sure doesn't seem like you did. Maybe you did and don't understand what I told you. If you go about this the way you are planning to do now, you are wasting both your time and money.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:12 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,432,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One of the local colleges dropped Chem as a requirement for Nursing... the Chem department said it was a mistake as it weeded out those more likely not to complete the program... I know the head of the Chem department and her prediction was spot on.

I work with several in the medical profession that have their BSN and do not have the State License... they work in Admin or Insurance Industry.

One thing to remember about nursing is the job is almost as varied as one's imagination...

Many RN's are in management roles... then there are the Public Health Nurses, School Nurses, Nurses that work in industry setting up Hiring protocol... plus a lot that work for Insurance Companies and then those that work in compliance doing inspections/investigations.

A friend got burned out being a floor nurse... for the last 12 years loves his job as an advice nurse... works from his living room and is full time with benefits.

I have worked with Diploma Nurses, those with AA and BSN and MSN and those that came through the military corpsman and challenged the state board... also those that studied in other countries and challenged the state board.

A Director of Nursing way back when I started worded in a Catholic Hospital... she was a Diploma Nurse and her order was a Nursing Order... amazing woman that encompassed everything good about nursing and no college degree... it took several to fill her roles when she retired at 72...

Still remember being sent to borrow equipment or supplies... she looked me straight in the eyes and said she is loaning to me and I am personally responsible for whatever I leave with... YES SISTER!
I am a Diploma nurse who got her BSN. In reality give me 2 Diploma nurses, taught to think critically & with tons of common sense over 5 with advanced book knowledge who quickly got out of the clinical setting for Admin jobs and cannot apply it....I'd rather work with short-handed with the 2 Diploma RNs. It has always been that way. Sadly, they are closing Diploma schools.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-03-2018 at 07:11 PM..

Old 05-03-2018, 06:21 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,258,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Did you even bother to read my post with advice about what options are available to you? It sure doesn't seem like you did. Maybe you did and don't understand what I told you. If you go about this the way you are planning to do now, you are wasting both your time and money.
I understand the accelerated options. As the article mentioned, entrance into nursing schools is very competitive now. From reading allnurses.com, ACE > BSN > ADN in terms of least likely to be accepted.

I planned to take prereqs (6 hours a semester) while working. Although if I get jaded, I can quit my job and go full time with loans, and fulltime would allow me to take chemistry concurrently with other science.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:20 AM

9,919 posts, read 7,763,800 times
Accelerated option isn't really any opition for some individuals. I have taken accelerated classes before and flunked. I need classes spread out.

Also a lot of these nursing programs are full time need more part time nursing programs for working students. Our State only has one part time Associate RN program costing $45K to $50K. Two LPN part time programs costing $30K to $35K.

Need to make RN school more affordable.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:14 AM

289 posts, read 306,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
That is not true! There are MANY, MANY of us 65+ RNs now retired who worked 12 hr nights x 45+ years. Also, plenty of police, EMS, Firefighters are old, alive and well.
Some of us are genetically predispositioned to being night owls. My Grandma worked her whole life on nights as a waitress in Miami Beach serving the Hollywood elite and wealthy.
I have been a night owl (per my mom) since age 2 yrs and always sought evenings and nights in any position I took in both EMS & then as an ER RN.
My son, now age 26, was a night owl in my belly...awakening and active from 2030 to about 0700 every single night. He goes to University classes from 1400-2000 studying Business & Finance. He plays video games on the night shift with thousands of other 'gamers' arohnd the World who are nnight owls and he is healthy. If working nights was SO HORRIBLE a third of the population would be dead early. I'm not sure who does these 'studies' but maybe they are jealous day shifters who are biased.
I might start a night owl C/D forum!
It actually is true. The literature is pretty conclusive that working nights is incredibly deleterious to one's health, with enough studies out to infer a direct causal link. Rates of depression, suicide, alcoholism, illness and injury, low energy, etc. all are significantly higher for people who work nights. I'm sure you and your son are doing great, but anecdotes aren't on par with peer review studies, and the peer review studies are pretty conclusive.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:35 AM

5,345 posts, read 14,180,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Accelerated option isn't really any opition for some individuals. I have taken accelerated classes before and flunked. I need classes spread out.

Also a lot of these nursing programs are full time need more part time nursing programs for working students. Our State only has one part time Associate RN program costing $45K to $50K. Two LPN part time programs costing $30K to $35K.

Need to make RN school more affordable.
Sometimes profession programs are only offered full time for a reason (i.e a person needs full immersion to gain the necessary knowledge and skills). My wife's friends who have gone on to be Nurse Anesthetists were not allowed to work at all while they went through the program. They had to quit high paying jobs that had flexible hours as RNs AND pay large sums to go back to school. #doublewammy Obviously it will pay off long term as the CRNAs are well compensated, but can make for a tough year or two.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:06 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,015,305 times
There’s no “shortages” of anything other than maybe some careers in the trades (which is understandable anyways). The rest is just BS narrative spewed by these goofball employers today just so they don’t have to hire anyone

Old 05-03-2018, 11:18 AM

35,229 posts, read 31,569,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
My wife started her RN career at a major hospital in Memphis in the Step-down ICU unit for a whopping $13.08/hr. or $15.08/hr. back in 2001. I think it was the $13.08/hr. but can't remember for sure.

In 2003 we moved back to my home state of MN. She took a job at a hospital in St. Paul in their ICU unit. I don't remember what her pay was then, but I know it went way up from the TN pay. She now makes $47 or $48/hr. ($100k/yr.) working in much "easier" areas with about 15 years experience (nursing "years" can vary from actual years as it is based on actual hours worked/FTE). Oh, and she only has a A.A. degree from Northwest Mississippi Community College which was super cheap to obtain. #MNrocks

edit: her job is FT with full benefits (not contract or per diem).
I'm on the complete opposite end of the state. I could walk to Virginia in about an hour from my office. Still, pay here for most occupations is abysmal. I was very surprised I brought back my Indiana salary. I'm not getting rich, but I'm in the top 25% HHI and probably quite a bit higher if you just look at single wage earners.

One of three things happen around here.

1) People become lifers and never leave. Their salaries remain low. There all sorts of issues with this - cars here aren't cheaper than elsewhere, you don't get the higher benefit from SS, etc.

2) People leave after college and come back later, bringing their higher wage back with them. This is what happened to me. A staff RN may not be able to do this.

3) They get a few years experience after school and leave completely. I'm where finance and IT intersect. Most of my college peers on both sides of that fence left years ago for higher wage areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment