Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:26 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I make good $, but my skillset is kind of specialized, so I'm limited in where I can work, whereas I know nurses can work anywhere.

I also don't feel like my current job is very meaningful either. People in finance don't understand what I do, they just ask for things, and I do it. I'm stuck behind a cubicle, and I think I would be better off helping helping. The other times, I just surf the web. First world problems I guess.

I'm still young and have the energy to go to school. I don't want to wear myself out in the cubicle and no longer have the drive to try nursing later. Plus, I think the switch from 5*8-5 to a 3 or 4 day a week will be better for me.
If you want my advice (and I would if I was you, I'm like close to 15 years older than you), take your time and don't jump into a career change.

Put some serious, serious time and effort into considering a career change. There's a sh@tload of tests and batteries you can take, and dozens of Youtube videos you can watch.

You want something stable and want a good salary. Everybody else does too. You have a vague idea that you want to help people, that you only mentioned after I brought it up.

If you're telling us the truth (and a lot of people here do not), then you're in position roughly 4 years out of school where you make 85K for an easy job where you get to sit around a lot of the time. We pay some of our mid-level workers/engineers that, but its not easy work, you have to produce, and we live in a pretty high COL area.

Ride that easy job and figure out what you really want to do. You're in a hell of a position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 12:41 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times
You should seriously watch some Medical dramas on TV before considering it. IMO ones like "The Resident" are accurate regarding some things. But know that sabotage is everywhere in every industry and once you are sabotaged in Medicine you can lose your license and you're done permanently. Plus under certain circumstances you can be personally sued and go to jail facing criminal charges.

"It's a No from me"

Old 04-30-2018, 12:44 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There is a big bottleneck in qualified nursing instructors. I live in a small metro area. Signing bonuses up to $2,000 are being offered to any RN with a year's experience in a hospital setting. My girlfriend was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago and there was such a shortage of nurses one evening that patients were moved from one floor to the next because there weren't enough nurses to staff all floors.
There's also a big bottleneck of students for too few seats as colleges don't have the funding to provide for larger classes which is leading to shortages of graduates in many areas of the country. The waitlists here in Central Florida at the community colleges have ranged from 2 to 3 years. It's been the same for the related varying Allied Health tech jobs as well (Respiratory, Radiology, etc).

Old 04-30-2018, 12:48 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,978 times
Medical errors are the 3rd leading cause of death in the United States. I would not like to see any type of lowering of standards just to push out more nurses.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:50 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There's also a big bottleneck of students for too few seats as colleges don't have the funding to provide for larger classes which is leading to shortages of graduates in many areas of the country. The waitlists here in Central Florida at the community colleges have ranged from 2 to 3 years. It's been the same for the related varying Allied Health tech jobs as well (Respiratory, Radiology, etc).
I have no idea about the waitlists, but the local employers can't seem to get enough nurses. Some places like relying on staffing agencies and travelers ($$$) to bridge the current gap.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:16 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Is rejecting thousands of applicants worse than accepting applicants who aren't really qualified? I would say no.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:46 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you want my advice (and I would if I was you, I'm like close to 15 years older than you), take your time and don't jump into a career change.

Put some serious, serious time and effort into considering a career change. There's a sh@tload of tests and batteries you can take, and dozens of Youtube videos you can watch.

You want something stable and want a good salary. Everybody else does too. You have a vague idea that you want to help people, that you only mentioned after I brought it up.

If you're telling us the truth (and a lot of people here do not), then you're in position roughly 4 years out of school where you make 85K for an easy job where you get to sit around a lot of the time. We pay some of our mid-level workers/engineers that, but its not easy work, you have to produce, and we live in a pretty high COL area.

Ride that easy job and figure out what you really want to do. You're in a hell of a position.
The job is easy for me right now, because of previous experience that I've had, but I know they can't easily find another person like me (knowledge of SQL, Excel, SSRS, as well as business acumen, being able to do things quickly and accurately, while also contributing to design). I realize I have it pretty good now, I guess I'm a little nervous with all the robot and AI chatter, 1 day, they will make it easier for the regular financial analysts to do my job.

It somewhat happened in my previous position. I created the dataset for the analysts, then the analysts primarily relied on Tableau to create visualizations/reports without us, so we just kind of lied around for the technical stuff.

With my current job, I get things done fast, but my team which is spread throughout US, takes a while to get back to me. So I pace myself.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:06 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
its an employer's market out there in the nursing field because there are so damn many graduating as an RN now thinking there is "Job security" and instant post graduate onboarding. But like too much anything, it can be a bad thing. Employers would rather just wait out their purple squirrels and/or hire no one. There can't be nursing shortages. Theres a host of nurses graduating school.

Engineering/Nursing fields like anything else are just a "flavor of the month" fad. Then you have too many, less people are retiring and no one can find work.

No surprise. What was the "in" thing yesterday, may not be what is the "in" thing today or tomorrow. The field is oversaturated with STEM grads. It doesn't need anymore

Old 04-30-2018, 02:52 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,061 times
I'm GLAD that the nursing schools are rejecting thousands of applicants. That means that they have standards.

Just because you have a pulse does not mean you can hack it a difficult career field that demands the utmost accountability and responsibility.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:17 PM
46H

1,651 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Stick with accounting and pass the CPA exam. There are many other areas of accounting that you could look into if you are not satisfied with your current situation. Every company needs accountants.

The upside of nursing might be your current salary (after many years). Also, many nursing positions are per diem with no guaranteed hours, no med insurance and no job security.

The monetary cost to you is huge with losing your current salary and paying for school. It also resets your earning to a lower level and will take years just to get back to where you are now.

I would skip on nursing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment