Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 07:20 AM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I'm GLAD that the nursing schools are rejecting thousands of applicants. That means that they have standards.

Just because you have a pulse does not mean you can hack it a difficult career field that demands the utmost accountability and responsibility.
If the schools are at capacity and there are simply so many people applying that there is a queue to get in anywhere, that doesn't necessarily indicate high standards on the school's part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 08:02 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
The shortage isn't what they say it is. Take a look at the nursing forums where plenty of people have difficulty getting a job. My sister graduated with her BSN and ended up taking a crappy job at a nursing home after months of applying and getting no where.

My field (health care) cries a shortage as well but there are not that many openings. But I guess they figure if they say it enough, people will start to believe it.
I knew someone who went to Nursing school, and out of the 20 in her class, she was the Number 1 pick for a hospital in town here.

Why? Quadra-lingual! English, Spanish, Tag-a-log and Mandarin!

Nowadays, would you hire a Nurse who only speaks English, or over one who's at least bi-lingual or tri-lingual?

I work in a LTC/Rehab facility, and I'm amazed, given all the Spanish-speaking patients, how few if any of the nurses can speak or comprehend any Spanish. Even Pasilla por dolor/pain pill!

Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
I'm glad to hear that nursing schools aren't lowering the bar due to a shortage in the industry.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,251,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I knew someone who went to Nursing school, and out of the 20 in her class, she was the Number 1 pick for a hospital in town here.

Why? Quadra-lingual! English, Spanish, Tag-a-log and Mandarin!

Nowadays, would you hire a Nurse who only speaks English, or over one who's at least bi-lingual or tri-lingual?

I work in a LTC/Rehab facility, and I'm amazed, given all the Spanish-speaking patients, how few if any of the nurses can speak or comprehend any Spanish. Even Pasilla por dolor/pain pill!
I have a friend that has been going to a community college, and recently applied and got accepted to Georgia State's nursing program (33% acceptance). She had a decent GPA (3.5), mediocre TEAS (76), but I think the fact that she spoke Spanish and considered a diversity candidate helped.

I'm an Asian male, that knows conversational Vietnamese, and I finished Duolingo Spanish, but still have a long way to go in Spanish. I definitely plan to keep improving my Spanish.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 AM

289 posts, read 305,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Nursing schools are rejecting thousands of applicants -- in the middle of a nursing shortage

I want to try nursing school, as a current accounting degree holder. Make $85,000 now, doing IT/finance work, but sick of office politics, long commutes, 5x a week 8-5.

In doing research to nursing schools, you have to have a really high GPA (I have 3.95 undergrad), good test scores (take the "TEAS" exam), good recommendation letters...

Currently, I'm going to see how I do with science prerequisites this summer/fall, and hopefully, be able to try nursing school.
Keep in mind that a Nurse Practitioner is nothing like a Nurse. The latter is at best a bachelors, but more typically (and the one that has the highest rejection rate) a 2-year associates-equivalent that gives you all the tools and training you need to basically be a combination secretary/janitor. The former is a masters-level degree that requires first getting an RN, followed by a typical 2-year program, and often requires an additional 2 years of RN experience (which, I think, can be done concurrently with the degree) and qualifies you to perform most of the routine functions of a doctor, under the supervision of a physician.

But it's essentially 8 years of training. At which point, you may as well just go to med school, because you'll make more in the long run and the cost of the education is roughly similar.

If you're considering trading your Accounting degree for a BSN, though - don't. Just don't. Unless you enjoy the idea of spending the rest of your life cleaning up vomit and filling out reports for $20 an hour.

Have you considered looking for a different accounting job that's closer to your home and has a less toxic office?

Old 05-01-2018, 09:16 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I have a friend that has been going to a community college, and recently applied and got accepted to Georgia State's nursing program (33% acceptance). She had a decent GPA (3.5), mediocre TEAS (76), but I think the fact that she spoke Spanish and considered a diversity candidate helped.

I'm an Asian male, that knows conversational Vietnamese, and I finished Duolingo Spanish, but still have a long way to go in Spanish. I definitely plan to keep improving my Spanish.
You will be able to get by with just Vietnamese in SoCal, Maryland, NYC and certain parts of NJ, potentially San Antonio TX and Houston. Obviously anywhere with a large Vietnamese expat population. Did you not take Spanish in H.S. though?

Old 05-01-2018, 09:38 AM

973 posts, read 916,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
You will be able to get by with just Vietnamese in SoCal, Maryland, NYC and certain parts of NJ, potentially San Antonio TX and Houston. Obviously anywhere with a large Vietnamese expat population. Did you not take Spanish in H.S. though?
Hehe, the Spanish being spoken in a hospital/clinic type setting is something you won't learn in the HS classroom, where you pretty much only learned how to say "el perro come pan"

Old 05-01-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Keep in mind that a Nurse Practitioner is nothing like a Nurse. The latter is at best a bachelors, but more typically (and the one that has the highest rejection rate) a 2-year associates-equivalent that gives you all the tools and training you need to basically be a combination secretary/janitor. The former is a masters-level degree that requires first getting an RN, followed by a typical 2-year program, and often requires an additional 2 years of RN experience (which, I think, can be done concurrently with the degree) and qualifies you to perform most of the routine functions of a doctor, under the supervision of a physician.

But it's essentially 8 years of training. At which point, you may as well just go to med school, because you'll make more in the long run and the cost of the education is roughly similar.

If you're considering trading your Accounting degree for a BSN, though - don't. Just don't. Unless you enjoy the idea of spending the rest of your life cleaning up vomit and filling out reports for $20 an hour.

Have you considered looking for a different accounting job that's closer to your home and has a less toxic office?
I've done a good bit of job hopping, and I think it's just not my field. I would like to do something more meaningful.

I don't think I'm cut out for medical school. I have a friend under 30 in California that makes $100/hour as a travel nurse. I don't think your stuck cleaning vomit/filling out reports for $20/hour unless you've settled for that (don't train or move to new opportunities).

Old 05-01-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Hehe, the Spanish being spoken in a hospital/clinic type setting is something you won't learn in the HS classroom, where you pretty much only learned how to say "el perro come pan"
As long as I know what "me duele el estomago", I'm good? jk

But good to know that Vietnamese is helpful in California.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post

I believe many states now require a DNP to be a nurse practitioner, so it is even longer than mentioned above. If a person is starting now without any nursing education, I would not assume that it will stay master’s level for another 4-6 years since many states already require the DNP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment