Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 01:04 PM

102,224 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I hate having only 30 minutes for lunch, don't you? I work 9-430 every day. I supppose if they made lunch longer, we'd have to stay until 5. Which would be fine with me but I don't want to bring it up. It ought to be 45 minutes.

We have two 10-minute breaks and that's also too small. I mean I have only one break between 1 and 430. It's a pain, it's only enough time to go to the can and not enough time to take a little walk. I work in telemarketing and they're really concerned about time.
Actually, that's all it's supposed to be for. State laws require a 10-minute minimum, usually, so that employers can't deny employees bathroom breaks. Because if they weren't mandated, many employers would force employees to work without breaks.

Who pays for your 1/2 hr. lunch? It sounds like you have a 7-hr. workday, and lunch is on your own time? Even if the lunch 1/2 hr. were included in your hourly count, it wouldn't add up to an 8-hr. day. What gives? Are employers cutting back on the standard workday, now, to save money and stiff the worker even more, after eliminating regular pay increases, back in the 80's? Whole Foods only has a 7-hr. workday, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 01:09 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,536,451 times
My supervisors are always breathing down our necks about taking exactly the right amount for everything. I'm afraid to ask about changing it.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:10 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
A few places around here have 4 day work week, Ten hour days Monday through Thursday, then a three day weekend for everybody.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:13 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
My supervisors are always breathing down our necks about taking exactly the right amount for everything. I'm afraid to ask about changing it.
I work in a team concept environment, no supervisors or people watching your every move, it's all self directed. Everybody on your team have a role.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:17 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I pack my lunch , run upstairs, kick back with a magazine, and relax alone for a half hour. It works for me.
I do the same.

30 is fine with me. I bring my lunch everyday.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:42 PM

11,113 posts, read 7,174,871 times
30 minutes is okay with me - I bring my lunch - but 45 minutes makes it a lot easier to eat AND clear my mind a bit. One hour can be a little excessive, but it's nice also.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Half an hour is fine if you brought your lunch. If you have to drive out and drive back, it's hairy.

How do you deal with feeling gloomy when it's Sunday night and you have to go back? I think ahead too much and by the time it's Saturday afternoon, I feel depressed that the weekend is going to over soon. The only time I'm happy is Friday at 6 PM.

I've hit upon a new strategy: Monday is only two days before Wednesday. Wednesday is only two days before Friday. See, you can always be happy.

I get depressed whenever I just think about stuff instead of taking action.
It may also be helpful to read several of the employment threads written by folks who are out of work.....it helps us remember how good we have it and there are always folks who have it worse.

Take action....You should start packing your lunch....easy solution.

Last edited by JanND; 05-19-2018 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 05-19-2018, 04:26 PM

1,063 posts, read 697,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
That depression was Friday night for me, I was just coming off my 7 day break. My shift starts on a Friday night 7pm to 7:30 am for 4 nights. So, when I get off Tuesday morning, I will be off for 3 days then go back Friday morning on 12 hour days for 3 days. I work two weekends a month and off two weekends. I should be sleeping now, but I woke up at 1:00 and just couldn't go back to sleep and have to be up all night.
I don't get Sunday night depression anymore. I worked hard and job hopped for 7 years to get to a point where I am incentivized every week to do my best.

Because my 10%+ bonus depends on it

I actually want to work on weekends but I have to stop myself to prevent burnout. I can rev at 120% but it's more about synergy from the whole team and timing more than me individually pushing myself beyond the point of diminishing returns.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:04 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,728 times
Quote:
Half an hour is fine if you brought your lunch. If you have to drive out and drive back, it's hairy.

How do you deal with feeling gloomy when it's Sunday night and you have to go back? I think ahead too much and by the time it's Saturday afternoon, I feel depressed that the weekend is going to over soon. The only time I'm happy is Friday at 6 PM.

I've hit upon a new strategy: Monday is only two days before Wednesday. Wednesday is only two days before Friday. See, you can always be happy.

I get depressed whenever I just think about stuff instead of taking action.
How to be happy? Keep things in perspective. If you have a job paying enough that you're not struggling for money, and have time to do things for fun some nights and on weekends, you really don't have all that much to complain about.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:08 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
Interesting. Being a telemarketer would be more depressing to me than a half hour lunch break. I guess you could pack a sandwich and walk around while you eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment