Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:26 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

It is not a good day for the anointed leaders of their unions. The workers, or at least the ones that are talented and civil, and the general public, it was a very good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 12:30 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Unfortunately the linked article doesn't really discuss the facts of the case, so we don't have real information to go on.
You missed my posting of it in another thread:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3827...een&from_embed

"JANUS
v.
STATE, COUNTY, AND MUNICIPAL EMPLOYEES

Opinion of the Court

VII For these reasons, States and public-sector unions may no longer extract agency fees from nonconsenting employees.

This procedure violates the First Amendment and cannot continue. Neither an agency fee nor any other payment to the union may be deducted from a nonmember’s wages, nor may any other attempt be made to collect such a payment, unless the employee affirmatively consents to pay. By agreeing to pay, nonmembers are waiving their First Amendment rights, and such a waiver cannot be presumed. Rather, to be effective, the waiver must be freely given and shown by “clear and compelling” evidence.
682 (1999). Unless employees clearly and affirmatively consent before any money is taken from them, this standard cannot be met"

Old 06-27-2018, 04:22 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,230,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Fair share fees are not dues, and cannot be used for political lobbying. That's what this court case is about-fair share fees, not dues.
If this is the case, then I'm not surprised the court ruled the way it did. Nobody has the right to impose their beliefs on another.

If unions want to lobby, let them pay for it out of the fair share fees imposed on their union members, not the people who don't benefit from the crony enriching. Otherwise, they're imposing their crony enriching politics and costs on people who don't benefit from it.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
If this is the case, then I'm not surprised the court ruled the way it did. Nobody has the right to impose their beliefs on another.

Me neither, but nobod was doing that.

Quote:

If unions want to lobby, let them pay for it out of the fair share fees imposed on their union members, not the people who don't benefit from the crony enriching. Otherwise, they're imposing their crony enriching politics and costs on people who don't benefit from it.

SCOTUS just made fair share fees illegal.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:37 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell;52328351 Nobody has the right to impose their beliefs on another.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:49 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times
As I was about to say somewhere else.....

I didn't know Bruce Rauner originally tried to bring suit but didn't have standing, so they found a sucker. I hope Mr. Janus was given a nice retirement package by his benefactors. He's going to need it. America is collectively ill. There's no way a small minority can wield so much power over the majority of the people unless the majority is out of their mind. The brainwashing campaign by the elite is effective. Someone said the non-union members should be forced to negotiate on their own. I agree. Management will likely give them benefits in the short term as a union-busting strategy, but once they've effectively destroyed the union...bye bye benefits! People won't learn until they're facing homelessness, I suppose. It might not be worth it financially, but the unions should be fighting for legislation that only allows them to represent, negotiate for and support dues-paying members. Let the others curry favor with management, since they love them so much.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,522 times
The problem is public unions in general -- they should be outlawed. You can't be giving campaign contributions to the same people that will be deciding your future benefits/wages. The end result is a situation where it's almost impossible to be fired, you make more than your private counterparts, and you have benefits that are unheard of in the private sector. Private sector unions are different and are probably needed more than ever.

This case at least eliminated the confiscation of funds from employees that were being used for political purposes that many employees disagreed with.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:10 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
https://www.naco.org
https://www.nlc.org

There are a lot of folks who don't like government unions. What many don't realize is that government uses organizations like the ones linked above. While technically not unions they represent their membership through political activity that benefits the employer and not the worker. I've seen it where they lobby for something and the only opposing voice is the employee unions. Now that the employee unions are weakened these organizations will get stronger-they have less competition.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:43 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Fair share fees are not dues, and cannot be used for political lobbying. That's what this court case is about-fair share fees, not dues.
Bull. "Fair-share" fees are a dollar or two less than dues, and are fully intended to allow the union to continue to pour millions of dollars into the pockets of politicians while paying the union leadership enormous salaries for doing nothing.

I truly do hope that this case sounds the death knell for all unions, but especially public employee unions. Unions are nothing but a cancer, a vampire latched on to the throat of the taxpayer and our economy, eagerly gulping down as much of our lifeblood as they can. And the people running around screeching about how great unions are, are nearly inevitably the ones who would be fired without the union skirts to hide behind. Nobody who actually does their job well wants to be handcuffed to the lowest common denominator in an organization.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:16 PM

879 posts, read 1,632,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

Yet another person who doesn't comprehend that the lobbying arm of unions is a separate fee that presently doesn't have to be paid by people who don't support it.
This is a different issue. The case that was argued was that a union, collectively-bargaining with an employer , was abridging the free-speech rights of employees. Since this was allegedly the case, Janus argued that employees should be free from people collectively bargaining on their behalf and not pay fair share as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment