Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 06:24 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,314,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If as expected SCOTUS wins, its freedom from extortion.

Those opting to join the union, join. Those opting not to, do not. Neither must change employers.

If the union offers a good product, people will buy it w/o extortion.
Anyone can opt out of joining unions right now. Total freedom. They can also opt not to accept any job under collective bargaining agreements in states that might require them to pay fair share fees. Total Freedom. They never have to change employers. Total freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
AFSCME is a public sector union. Public sector unions and their political pull are partially responsible for the fiscal crisis in Illinois. Taking away their power is a GOOD thing. Even FDR and some early private sector union leaders were not fans of public sector unions.

As for private sector unions, I'm fine with them. Does this affect them? If every teaching job required you to pay money in union dues that then goes a political party, and you have to join the union in order to be a public school teacher, isn't that sort of extortion?

I believe mismanagement is the cause of Illinois financial crisis. But nice try blaming the working people of the state who drive the economy and pay their taxes.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:08 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,798,346 times
From the article:
In Janus, a right-leaning Supreme Court is expected by one vote to nullify the laws of those 23 states, which could invalidate wording in thousands of state and municipal contracts. The change would be an extraordinary act of judicial lawmaking irreconcilable with conservative principles that publicly shame “judicial activism.”

I was in a public sector union in a RTW state and never heard of "agency" or "association" fees until Janus. Those who didn't join paid zero.

What I find ironic and hypocritical is the smaller government and states rights folks backing Janus now want the feds to do this for them. If Janus passes it will only change things in roughly half the states that have these fees. If you are so concerned about states rights and federal government intrusion why not go state by state to get the laws changed instead of asking the feds to do it for you?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,475,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
If SCOTUS rules for Janus, fair share fees will be illegal and unions will suffer. That's the important thing to know.

I am gonna go ahead and say now that SCOTUS is going to deliver this deathblow. I hope I'm wrong but...my spidey senses are telling me it's not looking good.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:18 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,270,606 times
Quote:
I believe mismanagement is the cause of Illinois financial crisis. But nice try blaming the working people of the state who drive the economy and pay their taxes.
Nice try insinuating that management doesn’t drive the economy and pay their taxes.

Would love to see your factual data to support your assertion that mismanagement is the cause of the Illinois financial crisis.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:33 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,475,595 times
Illinois is one of the wealthiest states in America. Definitely mismanagement (and not making the wealthy pay their fair share) at play.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I am gonna go ahead and say now that SCOTUS is going to deliver this deathblow. I hope I'm wrong but...my spidey senses are telling me it's not looking good.

Oh that's almost certain.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Nice try insinuating that management doesn’t drive the economy and pay their taxes.

Would love to see your factual data to support your assertion that mismanagement is the cause of the Illinois financial crisis.

google "illlinois mismanagement" and get back to me in a few months after you've finished reading.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:57 PM

34,094 posts, read 17,157,211 times
Quote:
They never have to change employers. Total freedom.

Post JANUS, the law for public employees in 50 states. Soon to cover private sector nationally, too.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:43 AM

Since there really isnt much suspense in the outcome, barring a Judge Roberts miracle, I'm curious how much this is going to affect unions, and how they are going to overcome that effect moving forward. How can unions retain their strength where they have any, and how can weaker unions ever gain strength once fair share is kicked to the curb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment