Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What women wants: Take care of children or Work?
Take care of children 62 45.93%
Work/career 73 54.07%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 11:18 AM

50,831 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You even copied and pasted his post where he states his "dating preferences".
I meant brought up by the responding poster. You responded to a thread in which you seemed to think OP's dating choices were denigrated by that poster, I said I didn't see that the poster mentioned his dating preferences at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 01:10 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Men and women can be equal but are not the same. We are very different in many ways.

I don't agree that it's a good thing.
Blame Barbara Stanwyck.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:21 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,847 times
Uhhh what about those of us that don't want to bear children? We DO exist. My fiance and I do not ever plan to have them--and I love my career and am the head of household, in our family. I enjoy what I do for work, the balance I have, our travel--and he loves teaching and is great at it.

Point blank--this poll is a bit ridiculous and it's an individual's choice.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:30 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Uhhh what about those of us that don't want to bear children? We DO exist. My fiance and I do not ever plan to have them--and I love my career and am the head of household, in our family. I enjoy what I do for work, the balance I have, our travel--and he loves teaching and is great at it.

Point blank--this poll is a bit ridiculous and it's an individual's choice.
You're just not the demographic that the thread is addressing. Peronally .... I wouldn't post in a hunting thread as I have no interest in hunting. Nor would I feel left out. Just sayin.

Last edited by Sydney123; 05-28-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 03:11 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,422 times
It is likely that "deep inside" most women would simply prefer to be left in peace to make the choices that they consider most appropriate for themselves, their families, and their circumstances without being shamed for their choices or feeling coerced or controlled into choices that are not their own.

Sort of like the way men are able to make choices without all the pearl clutching and frequent hate that women experience when they make the choices the feel are best for them.

Last edited by Chaofan; 05-28-2018 at 03:25 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 03:29 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,015,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I was a SAHM, and I loved it.

I'd far rather see a SAH father who enjoys being with the kids, than a mother who is career oriented and resentful for having to stay at home and raise their kids.

I feel very sorry for kids who have both parents that are so much into their careers that they hardly spend time with their kids. They are carted to daycare or stuck with a babysitter until school age. Those kids grow up without close family ties.
FWIW, that was me and my brother - our parents both worked "professional" jobs and didn't get home until 6 or later, and when they did, my brother's behavioral issues meant that if they were focusing on one of us, it was him. I don't think it was entirely disadvantageous. It allowed us to develop relationships and practice social skills with a lot more kids because we were in daycare, as well as figure out how to handle disputes and embarrassing situations when mom and dad weren't there to swoop in.

As it happens, I've ended up as an adult who doesn't crave familial interaction in the slightest - I insisted on going to college out of state, and now one phone call a week is quite enough for me - but I wonder if that isn't partially innate, as opposed to only because I was raised not spending all day with my parents. If it is, then perhaps my upbringing was for the better.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:31 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That is a tired and misused quote that has no basis for reality. Half of all marriages do not in fact end in divorce. Statistically 75% of first marriages are more than likely to still be married until the death of a spouse.

I remember reading an article on this. Couples that had been married for long periods of time seem to have the same conclusion. Certain years were hard and they got thru those years making the marriage even stronger.

For those that have remarried after a divorce, statistically these people have a 75% chance of getting another divorce.
No, the tired & misused quote is that more than half of marriages end in divorce. The last stats I read are about 47% to 50%. Maybe it's a little less, now. Maybe a little more.

It's about even steven that a woman will end up on her own in her later years. I've known a lot of women who thought it would never be them, or if it would be, no problem. It turned out to be them, and it was a huge problem. It's hard enough to learn life skills on your own at an older age, without adding financial issues on top of that.

Whether it's 50% or not, it's a risk. If someone wants to take it, that's her (or his) business.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:36 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
It is likely that "deep inside" most women would simply prefer to be left in peace to make the choices that they consider most appropriate for themselves, their families, and their circumstances without being shamed for their choices or feeling coerced or controlled into choices that are not their own.

Sort of like the way men are able to make choices without all the pearl clutching and frequent hate that women experience when they make the choices the feel are best for them.
Very well said.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:47 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
No success can compensate for failure in the home.

The only reason that both of us worked was because one of us could be home with the kids. We had no plans of ever having someone else raise our kids. Too many stories of other people watching kids that do not have a vested interest in the kids.

Chances are if we had been living in a low cost of living area of the Nation my wife would have not been working at all.

We have always had life insurance. If I were to pass away my wife would be secure. She would be able to raise the kids. The house would get paid off.
Working does not equal failure in the home, whether it's the man or the woman working. Working for a living is a fact of life. Thank goodness we don't have to toil in the fields 12 hours a day to put food on the table, like some societies do.

Would it be better for our home lives if we never had financial issues, had all the things we want in life, as well as perfect health? Of course. But that's not reality.

Reality is that if a person doesn't work all his life, and he ends up thrown on his own at age 50, without a ton of money in a bank account, that person will live in poverty the rest of his days, most likely. A little planning can prevent that. But it's up to each adult to decide what is best for himself or herself.

Expecting someone else to suffer the consequences of life choices, and not yourself, seems at best inconsiderate, and at worse, a bit selfish. Why don't you stay at home, if you think it's imperative that a parent stay home?

There is no evidence to indicate that kids are worse off when both parents work. And not everyone is suited to being a stay-at-homer. Every adult has to be happy with his/her choice, whatever that choice is. The happiness, or unhappiness, shows itself throughout the family and affects the kids, in particular.

This was all settled decades ago. Each person should make his own choice, according to what they think is best at the time or for their life plans.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:48 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
As a guy, the money she would bring certainly helps a lot but I wonder if that's what women really want?
Why do we assume there is one answer for all women? Some women, like some men would prefer to stay home with their kids. Others would not. Is this really news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment