Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 07:02 AM

12,854 posts, read 9,071,750 times

Advertisements

A lot of misconceptions out there.

Vet Pref: First, straight from the Feds Hire Vets site: "In general, veterans' preference eligibility is based on dates of active duty service, receipt of a campaign badge, Purple Heart, or a service-connected disability. Only veterans discharged or released from active duty in the armed forces under honorable conditions (honorable or general discharge) are eligible for veterans' preference. " So not all vets get vet pref. Second not all jobs are vet pref jobs. Scientific and professional positions GS9 and above do not get vet pref. Finally, the vet must meet the qualification requirements. Vet pref does not override the minimum qualifications.

Union time (the discussion this thread is about): (Disclosure -- I am not now, nor ever been a member of the union; I am providing this so that this discussion can proceed from knowledge, not assumptions and bad information). Union time is provided on pay time because the union is required to represent all employees, regardless of whether they are members of the union or pay union dues. The union does not have a choice but must represent the employee. Therefore they are provided official time in compensation for representing those who do not pay union dues. It's a bit more complex than that, but that's the general idea. My guess something like this will be the legal trigger that results in a court overturning this EO.

As for firing poor performers. I've done it. This is a management problem, not a performance one. Contrary to the wild and silly claims made by those who know nothing, including right in this thread, there are NOT "tens and hundred of thousands" of poor performers." There are no more, and most likely fewer poor performers in gov than the private sector because most of the problem workers can't meet the minimums. I'm not saying there are none, but they can be dealt with under the current system if management chooses to do so. They just need to document the performance problem and follow up. The biggest fear that keeps management from doing so is fear of an EEO complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 07:10 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Thats a good start for sure. There is no shortage of great, educated, hard working employees in the private sector right now looking to get a federal job. Ive been trying for 2 years to no avail to even get an INTERVIEW . Countless performance awards/raises and applying for federal jobs in the field while Im sure many of those positions are stacked full with lazy federal lifers that should have been fired YEARS ago.

A lot of us are trying to get out of the private sector due to the continuous abuse and lack of job security and downsizing regardless of performance.

Get that DEADWOOD out of there!!!
So basically, you're jealous. How did all of those lazy, incompetent people get federal jobs yet you're so wonderful and you can't?

Old 05-27-2018, 10:18 AM

2,905 posts, read 2,148,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
So basically, you're jealous. How did all of those lazy, incompetent people get federal jobs yet you're so wonderful and you can't?
nepotism......of course

Old 05-27-2018, 10:44 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
you wonder vet preference is true?? LOL
I've only worked in the private sector where people actually, you know, contribute to GDP, far away from Federal employment centers, where the Federal government and its employees are unimportant at best, or a nuisance at worst. So pardon me if I don't spend any of my waking hours thinking about requirements to get on the public dole, er, payroll.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:02 AM

2,905 posts, read 2,148,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I've only worked in the private sector where people actually, you know, contribute to GDP, far away from Federal employment centers, where the Federal government and its employees are unimportant at best, or a nuisance at worst. So pardon me if I don't spend any of my waking hours thinking about requirements to get on the public dole, er, payroll.

alrighty

Old 05-27-2018, 12:57 PM

17,598 posts, read 13,378,017 times
Wonderful news..... Now, let's start on term limits!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2018, 01:03 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,999 times
Federal job seems like to involve with politic all the time, so thanks but no thanks.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:56 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post

Same reason why you have so many useless people at various levels of organization in the private sector that just can't ever seem to get fired because of connections.

You saying nepotism/politics/"good ole boys club" doesn't exist and we live in a meritocracy?

Old 05-27-2018, 02:58 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Someone told me that veterans get a preference for federal jobs (at least for some kinds of federal jobs). If you're not a veteran, you have little chance of getting the interview. I wonder if this is true. Are you a veteran?
Um, not quite. A hiring official has a vacancy to fill. They advertise the vacancy. Applicants, including veterans apply. The OPM staffing center personnel evaluate all of them and sends a list of "eligibles" to the hiring official to pick from. Veterans may or may not be on it (if they meet the very basic eligibility requirements; us citizen, no felonies, etc.), and they may rank out higher than non-veterans due to their type of service, but the hiring official is not FORCED to select them. They are REQUIRED to consider them and have to state why a veteran was not selected. If the veteran does not meet the job-specific requirements (specific experience or knowledge necessary to do the work without needing months of training, a specialized college degree or certification, etc.) they can be bypassed. Sometimes the eligibles list does not give the hiring official anyone they think could do the job, so the entire vacancy process starts all over again.

I've hired off these sorts of lists and had veterans on them. Sometimes there was one who could do the work with just a bit of orientation or training. If the job can handle that change in timeframe and the applicant seems well suited, great. I'm happy to hire them. I've also had veterans show up on the eligible list who weren't remotely educated or experienced enough to handle the work. If my job is a 6 month position and it would take me 6 months to train the veteran to do it, the work goes undone and I lose funding for it entirely because the funding has to be used in that fiscal year. Who does that help? No one.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-27-2018 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 03:04 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No problem at all with this. I have family who are friends and federal employees back in the DC area, and I know many of them are hard working, so this shouldn't affect them. However, if you are a lazy or poor performing federal worker, it shouldn't be any more difficult to fire you just because you are a fed. No problem at all with this.
And the other federal employees who are hardworking and dedicated probably agree with it too. Who wants to compensate for or work around a shirker every day? Not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment