Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 12:42 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

I got my job through a temp agency. Like many they don't accept THC users. But when I look on their FB page, I see several people asking "What is your attitude towards THC users?" I can tell you it's "NO WAY YOU'LL WORK FOR US" It's better to assume that this is the attitude of EVERY agency.

Quit asking because they'll then have your name tagged as "Suspicious" and even if you do pass their test, they may tell the client to retest at various times and thus getting you fired.

I worked for Walmart. They tested at first then never again, unless you got hurt in an accident. I knew several who quit for 45 days then after they passed the UA, went back to using it. One even told me that if he was ever to be tested after an accident, he'd just quit instead of getting fired.

But really, asking their policy is similar to waving a red flag at them.....Just believe they WILL test and so you won't "Expose" yourself and your private usage of marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 01:08 PM

11,092 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Other people are exercising their right and freedom to ask about and talk about these things. It's bizarre that you are letting it bother you. Nothing you said above is going to change anyone's approach to matters. Better for you to relax and have a tasty drink outside than to poison yourself with irritation and aggravation. You're only hurting yourself.

Based on your words, your screen name, and status, it sounds like your life is run on emotion rather than thought/intellect.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:56 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Good points, OP. Employers do read facebook pages of applicants and employees, or may be told of comments by colleagues.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:15 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
I personally don't care what people do on their days off but my company won't hire anyone who tests positive for THC or any other type of cannaboids.

The best one that I had was in a thank you note from a candidate who had came in for an in-person interview. The thank you email was pretty standard except for the last paragraph. In the last couple of sentences, the candidate came right out and asked if our "great" company tested for "casual marijuana use".

Old 05-28-2018, 05:50 PM

482 posts, read 242,304 times
I have no problem with those that wish to get high on their days off or after work, but in my experience, a very large percentage of marijuana users tend to get high 24/7 and form alliances with other heavy users in the workplace. That is probably the biggest problem I have encountered with marijuana users in the workplace. Rarely do you get one that get's too stoned to do their job. It's more that heavy marijuana use tends to make people high maintenance after a while. Working with someone that turns into a moody irritable nightmare every time the weed stats to wear off is awful. It is for that reason that I'm ok with punishing the 1 out of 3 stoners that isn't like that in the form of not employing them. My company doesn't test for marijuana, but as a former pothead, I can spot a stoner a mile away. I won't hire them unless they really impress me or have something above and beyond to offer my company.

I realize that when you attack marijuana use, the first response will always be......but...but...alcohol is worse. Yes, alcohol is worse if you abuse it, but drunks are also much easier to catch and get rid of, which is why I have no problem hiring someone that says the drink until they hint at having a problem. DUI is a big one for me. I won't hire someone that has had a DUI in the last 5 years. I need to know that they have changed their ways.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:53 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
The company should have the rights to exclude marijuana users. With that said, beggars can't be choosers in a tight labor market.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:43 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Most employers are not 420 friendly. Unless you're working for a dispensary.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I don't smoke pot and never have, but I honestly don't care if my coworkers smoke pot in their off hours. I don't see it as being any worse than drinking. Then again, I don't make the rules.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:54 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't smoke pot and never have, but I honestly don't care if my coworkers smoke pot in their off hours. I don't see it as being any worse than drinking. Then again, I don't make the rules.
Same here. I don't smoke weed at all, don't do any drugs, but I do believe weed should be legalized like alcohol.

Actually, legal weed is probably one of the few political issues right now where a large majority of the people in the country believe in the same thing. Most everything else is pretty much a 50-50 split, but about 70% of the population believe weed should be legalized.

Only a matter of time before it is legal and only a matter of time before employers won't have much choice, but to treat it like alcohol if they want to be able to hire anyone. It is already trending in that direction and picking up speed.

At least we can come together on one issue in this country.......

Old 05-29-2018, 11:00 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

Quit asking because they'll then have your name tagged as "Suspicious" and even if you do pass their test, they may tell the client to retest at various times and thus getting you fired.
Why would they do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment