Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:21 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,105,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
SO typical of today's litigation-obsessed society ...much ado about nothing. The waitress could simply have given the guy a piece of her mind and it would have been all over and done. But, no ...

Exactly. In addition, him being arrested is going to clog up the criminal justice system, cost tax payers money and will leave less resources to prosecute real criminals. Unless he already has a criminal record, he will not go to prison. This should be a civil violation with a fine.

I wonder if roles were reversed, would everyone say that woman who did this should be arrested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:32 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,622,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Exactly. In addition, him being arrested is going to clog up the criminal justice system, cost tax payers money and will leave less resources to prosecute real criminals. Unless he already has a criminal record, he will not go to prison. This should be a civil violation with a fine.

I wonder if roles were reversed, would everyone say that woman who did this should be arrested?
No men would have stood in line trying to arrange a date.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 7 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,235,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Helpful hint: touching other people in such a manner has NEVER been an acceptable practice.
Actually it has, society as a whole was tolerant of it as a 'boys will be boys' type of attitude, just as casting couches were 'accepted' and a whole host of other things were 'accepted' that are no longer tolerated. It doesn't mean people approved or thought it was right, or that every single person felt the same way about it. It doesn't mean it was practiced everywhere by everyone. It means that it was a part of the landscape, it happened and people turned a blind eye to it. Nobody complained to the cops, or pressed charges, or reported it to HR and a lot of us were told that we should expect it as a part of our jobs and to handle it as professionally as we could. If that doesn't mean that we accepted it as a society I don't don't know what would.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:28 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,076,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Let me guess. You are male, and a white one at that.
Let me guess. You're a woman who sees toxic masculinity, patriarchy and misogyny everywhere you look?

Old 05-30-2018, 12:34 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,620,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Actually it has, society as a whole was tolerant of it as a 'boys will be boys' type of attitude, just as casting couches were 'accepted' and a whole host of other things were 'accepted' that are no longer tolerated. It doesn't mean people approved or thought it was right, or that every single person felt the same way about it. It doesn't mean it was practiced everywhere by everyone. It means that it was a part of the landscape, it happened and people turned a blind eye to it. Nobody complained to the cops, or pressed charges, or reported it to HR and a lot of us were told that we should expect it as a part of our jobs and to handle it as professionally as we could. If that doesn't mean that we accepted it as a society I don't don't know what would.

Those practices were never accepted in general. It was accepted that some people were too weak or black or poor to fight back. Nobody ever groped the boss's wife and, if somebody did, nobody turned a blind eye. Charges were very often pressed (or worse) if somebody poor or black did something to somebody rich and/or white.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:47 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,076,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I would opt for a hefty fine + community service instead of jail time in cases like this.
I'm curious as to this assumption you, and majority here apparently make, and that is, the only proper response is some sort of state sanction.

Is it possible scenarios A, B, C ....... X, Y, Z are all undesirable outcomes, but only scenarios X, Y and Z warrant state intervention?

Old 05-30-2018, 01:56 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,093,193 times
Probably been doing things like this for years but nobody ever said anything and no consequences. Plus no videos years ago.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:59 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,411,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Actually it has, society as a whole was tolerant of it as a 'boys will be boys' type of attitude,
No, no, no--tolerant is not the word. It has always made most of us sick to our stomachs. The game is over now. We are done with it. One of my Supervisors told me a couple of years ago that I had nice legs. I was speechless at the time. Found it inappropriate. He said something worse to me over five years ago. It is over now---I won't be speechless anymore. I will report it.

Fortunately I work for a Company that those things are taken seriously.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:12 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,430,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Let me guess. You're a woman who sees toxic masculinity, patriarchy and misogyny everywhere you look?
I was right, wasn't I?

Old 05-30-2018, 04:13 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,430,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
No, no, no--tolerant is not the word. It has always made most of us sick to our stomachs. The game is over now. We are done with it..
Yep - being powerless is not the same thing as being tolerant. Men, clue in. Time is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment