Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 7 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,235,803 times

Advertisements

OK, I get the feeling some people think I'm excusing this guy, or saying what he did is justifiable. I'm not, what he's done is not acceptable in this day and time. But I don't think that having a difficult time adapting to new mores is deserving of jail time when there are other effective punishments that would better reinforce a change in behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 05:43 PM

34,138 posts, read 17,206,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
OK, I get the feeling some people think I'm excusing this guy, or saying what he did is justifiable. I'm not, what he's done is not acceptable in this day and time. But I don't think that having a difficult time adapting to new mores is deserving of jail time when there are other effective punishments that would better reinforce a change in behavior.
jail is not going to happen, but I hope he fears it will.

Fine and community service will , and should, occur, plus some professional sensitivity training.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:44 PM

824 posts, read 708,860 times
Quote:
O... But I don't think that having a difficult time adapting to new mores is deserving of jail time...
would jail time be warranted if it was your family, your mother or sister, daughter?
or

if you really needed that job and he assaulted you just how would you feel?

Old 05-28-2018, 05:48 PM

34,138 posts, read 17,206,205 times
I would like to see all restaurants within an hour ban this perv and his family permanently. Keep a picture of him with all staff who wait on people.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
would jail time be warranted if it was your family, your mother or sister, daughter?
or

if you really needed that job and he assaulted you just how would you feel?
eh, it's been me, and no I don't think being stupid and behind the times should mean jail time

Old 05-28-2018, 07:30 PM

9,445 posts, read 6,602,839 times
Quote:
Us 'older' people aren't arguing that what the guy did was ok, but there does need to be some understanding that change can be difficult for some people to adapt to and that something that used to be tolerated is now a criminal offense might be incomprehensible to them. If thirty years from now something that is tacky but not criminal has becomes taboo (I dunno, maybe whistling at someone you think is sexy, or using the word 'gay', becomes a criminal offense) do you feel like you should go to jail for it?
Well since I'm one of the "older" ones (70), I'll most likely be dead in 30 years. But to your point, none of these societal changes are recent. For heavens sake, the guy is in his 60's so this behavior has been unacceptable for at least half his life. I would guess he knows this and would have a fit if some stranger walked up and swatted his wife's rear.

Then there's always the fact that "Ignorance of the law is no excuse", so the slow-adapters better get with it. Most of us mothers taught out daughters not to put up with that behavior and our son's not to engage in it. Maybe this guy and a few others need legal action, which will most likely speed their adaptive process along.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:43 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,411,326 times
Quote:
Ok, yes, it was considered classless, but it wasn't condemned and people weren't shocked and outraged by it the way they are now. The thought of it being considered assault would have been laughed to the moon and back.
And that is why the Me too movement is going on. Enough is enough. It has been going on too long.
I was a clerk in a store in the 70's. I remember a man passing me and gave me a pat. I was horrified and shocked he would do that. No, I didn't think then or now that it was acceptable.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:55 AM

And again, I'm simply telling how things were then, not saying that it was a good thing or that people should be accepting of it now.
But I think jail time is extreme for something of that nature, it's like putting people in jail for buying pot or a first offense for shoplifting a ten dollar item.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:24 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,087,051 times
Quote:
And again, I'm simply telling how things were then, not saying that it was a good thing or that people should be accepting of it now.
But I think jail time is extreme for something of that nature, it's like putting people in jail for buying pot or a first offense for shoplifting a ten dollar item.
You keep focusing on the jail time, but several people have pointed out that it won’t happen.

The penalty is up to a year in jail, or up to three years probation.

Read that again. UP TO... OR UP TO...

Nobody gets full penalty unless they are a multiple repeat offender. Even then, they are more likely to get probation, unless they are already on probation.

Essentially, unless this guy has been convicted of similar offenses 3-6 time previously, he is going to get time served (his booking time) and a stern talking to.

Do you find that more reasonable? Would you withdraw your objection if you knew the guy had been arrested and convicted several times previously?

Old 05-29-2018, 01:33 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,729,605 times
These fools would probably also have him castrated, go figure. And while I am not gonna condone this of course, these fools would still defend a mass rapist(over any kind) than this dude... Goes to show the disgusting double standards we have in this society...

Look at all the demonization going on, a slap to the butt really y'all? There are worse things to get upset over, this was just too hilariously stupid to see at the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment