Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were poor, but desired to become wealthy, where should you move to or live?
Liberal/left-leaning/blue state or region 45 51.72%
Conservative/right-leaning/red state or region 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:30 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,756 times

Advertisements

If you were a poor person, but you desire to become a wealthy person, then should you live in a:
  • Politically liberal, blue state or region (i.e. California, PNW, NYC metro, New England, greater DC, Chicagoland, etc.) or,
  • Politically conservative, red state or region (i.e. Texas, most regions in southern USA or Midwest, non-coastal western USA, etc.)
Let me know what is better no for the poor person who is satisfied staying poor, but a poor person with intelligence, education, work ethic, drive, interpersonal skills, good habits, etc. who desires to become $$$wealthy$$$ and move towards a more affluent social class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 02:40 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
There are so many factors that ensure most poor people will remain poor that it doesn't matter what state you live in. This is not a red team/blue team matter. It's a "money team" matter. Those people are red AND blue because they play both sides.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:42 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
Does. Not. Matter.

A person who is going to make it, will make it regardless of obstacle or assistance. Political affiliation of self or state will play no relevance.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:49 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,766,814 times
The political leaning of the state is irrelevant. What is most relevant is the state's job market and the skills of the individual.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:18 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
Another factor I would suggest is how will I build my wealth?
If I wanted to make my fortune in manufacturing and selling guns, I'd go red. If it was charging stations for hybrid and electric cars I'd probably start blue.

If my new wealth was built from financial investments I don't think it'd matter.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:18 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
The political leaning of the state is irrelevant. What is most relevant is the state's job market and the skills of the individual.
This.

It so happens that most of the hottest job markets have been and still are in blue states. I have no desire to engage in the why and hope this thread doesn't go that way (although it seems to be destined to).

IMO, if one is looking for wealth, it is more likely to happen in a wealthy State so my answer to the OP is Blue.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:24 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
This.

It so happens that most of the hottest job markets have been and still are in blue states. I have no desire to engage in the why and hope this thread doesn't go that way (although it seems to be destined to).

IMO, if one is looking for wealth, it is more likely to happen in a wealthy State so my answer to the OP is Blue.
I would agree with this. Look at the states you listed in your OP. The blue states/regions are generally rather affluent, the red states listed are generally economically challenged.

There are many other variables though.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:26 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,496 times
Is this a Work and Employment question?

For most, a job does not directly equate to wealth regardless of state. It’s what the individual does with their money as they make it. Blue states tend to have more urban areas and areas of higher income potential, but not necessarily where a person always has to go...

This is feeling more like Politics or Economics to me.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:26 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times
Hard to say. Liberal states tend to pay slightly more but their taxes and other things make it harder to get wealthy unless you brownnose the political establishment.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:28 PM

70 posts, read 59,549 times
Hopefully, this makes sense? To me, it depends on the kind of support they have. My original home state of New York has very high taxes and high incomes. Yet, the social programs there are far more generous than say Texas. If the poor person falls, he or she can apply for public welfare and get some help. Maybe not adequate, but some help.
The southern states in general are not as generous. SNAP benefits for a family of 3 would be way less in Texas vs a northern state. HOWEVER, let's say the poor person is able to find a supportive nonprofit and private organization that can assist. Or perhaps he or she meets people who are willing to give him a hand up. Now combine that with less oppressive taxes and the poor person could rise. I have examples of this in so-called red states before. There has to be a hustler attitude.
Geez I hope this make sense....support has to come from somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment