Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 07:14 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,006,534 times
I am starting a new job soon, and I would like some advice on how to keep an expressionless face when someone is talking to me. My face gives away my thoughts, and that phenomenon is not a useful trait when one is working, especially if one does not agree with what is being said. Also, how does a person respond neutrally if they think they are hearing BS? I have difficulty doing that too. I normally say nothing, but then the person feels I am not listening (I am) or my face instantly gives my thoughts away. I get along well with coworkers; I am just as transparent as newly cleaned glass. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 07:21 AM

35,168 posts, read 31,475,700 times
I'm not that type that flies off the handle or gets emotional. It's easy for me to do.

I tell people what I think they want to hear, and what smooths over the situation at the time.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:27 AM

765 posts, read 475,862 times
well, being new at a job is rife with all kinds of problems, you don't know who to trust, you don't want to offend ANYONE and you'll probably be walking on tiptoes around the office until you get the lay of the land and a handle on the climate.

just keep busy busy busy so no one can corner you in the coffee break room until you feel more at ease in your new surroundings.....

do you feel socially awkward? if you do, then join a few meetup.com groups where you can hone your interactions with people you don't see all that often, so any faux pas committed won't be life or death....

also: The basic principles of social interactions can be learned from books, or even a socially savvy friend or relative. Don't be shy about asking for help from those who know you best.

There are courses everywhere in effective communication techniques... why not try just a basic course in public speaking where your teacher and classmates can help you develop a more polished and relaxed manner?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:29 AM

6,477 posts, read 7,827,325 times
How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Old 08-01-2018, 09:29 AM

88,792 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I am starting a new job soon, and I would like some advice on how to keep an expressionless face when someone is talking to me. My face gives away my thoughts, and that phenomenon is not a useful trait when one is working, especially if one does not agree with what is being said. Also, how does a person respond neutrally if they think they are hearing BS? I have difficulty doing that too. I normally say nothing, but then the person feels I am not listening (I am) or my face instantly gives my thoughts away. I get along well with coworkers; I am just as transparent as newly cleaned glass. Any advice would be appreciated.
That's a tough one. I am the opposite. My face doesn't give anything away. I learned early to keep a neutral face. Maybe from being one of seven kids lying about who took the last cookie.

Perhaps when you hear something you know is BS, train your mind to automatically think of something else that could render your face expressionless. Like doing dishes or something.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:22 AM

9,473 posts, read 8,452,532 times
Look down at the floor as if in thought, then they can't see your expressions.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,006,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a tough one. I am the opposite. My face doesn't give anything away. I learned early to keep a neutral face. Maybe from being one of seven kids lying about who took the last cookie.

Perhaps when you hear something you know is BS, train your mind to automatically think of something else that could render your face expressionless. Like doing dishes or something.
Good idea. That reminds me of some sage advice my ex-boyfriend received from his doctor. He was one of those guys who reacted prematurely if you catch my drift, and it was a real problem for him in his relationships. His doctor said, "First, let's try a solution without using medication. Whenever you feel it happening too fast, think about something really boring like mowing the grass rather than sex." Although it didn't completely solve the problem, it helped a lot. It's a prime example of the power of mind over matter. So much of our reality is shaped by our thinking and perception of it.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:28 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,926,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Agreed. Practice remaining calm throughout your workday conversations...find your center, don't let anyone sway you too far with negative comments or with positive comments. Just be neutral.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:44 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,594,425 times
Honestly I don’t do the poker face even at new jobs. I can’t lie or hide my feelings no matter what I’ve tried so I don’t bother and usually people appreciate my honesty. It’s backfired a few times during meetings when I’ve been asked to comment on something that I would have preferred to remain silent on. Overall though I approach work and life in the same way: like it or leave it I am an open book.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:26 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,215,949 times
I am pretty emotionless and poker faced at work. However the downside to that is people think your a robot or boring. However if you don't really care what other people think , then it's a good way to stay out of any drama at work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment