Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 11:58 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,111,903 times
If someone is talking to me for more than 10 seconds I'll just grab my phone and start talking as if someone just called and then hurry away while muttering that the report was rejected due to compliance issues and hide in a bathroom stall for awhile. No one wants to deal with compliance issues and I'm generally avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 12:02 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,803,165 times
Just think about how much better you'll feel going home...

Old 08-01-2018, 12:16 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,988,583 times
I like the idea about thinking about boring things. However, at times I have to listen to what the people are saying. This is especially important for newbies, who are theoretically eagerly awaiting instructions from the Head Boss. In that case I can act like an eager vessel, paste on the ever useful fake smile (which actually improves one's attitude even when it's insincere,) and take notes, a strategy that scores points with most bosses.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:24 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,013,845 times
you want instructions how to not move your facial muscles?

Regarding responding to BS, just say "interesting... " or "really?" "hmmm" and then change the topic.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:13 PM

255 posts, read 184,602 times
Practice in front if a mirror with a friend

Old 08-01-2018, 01:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,924,999 times
It's a skill, like anything else. Improving will just take practice.

Even if you don't agree with what's being said, most of the time the other person does believe what they are saying. Most people are not trying to intentionally mislead you. Try to understand their perspective, and why they think what they're saying is true while listening. IMO focusing on understanding them is more valuable than keeping a blank face.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:25 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,988,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you want instructions how to not move your facial muscles?

Regarding responding to BS, just say "interesting... " or "really?" "hmmm" and then change the topic.
Well, there are millions of videos and books on how to move your muscles through exercise. Why not get a few tips on how not to?

Old 08-01-2018, 05:27 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,294,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I am starting a new job soon, and I would like some advice on how to keep an expressionless face when someone is talking to me. My face gives away my thoughts, and that phenomenon is not a useful trait when one is working, especially if one does not agree with what is being said. Also, how does a person respond neutrally if they think they are hearing BS? I have difficulty doing that too. I normally say nothing, but then the person feels I am not listening (I am) or my face instantly gives my thoughts away. I get along well with coworkers; I am just as transparent as newly cleaned glass. Any advice would be appreciated.
You have an attitude problem to begin with and need to address that. You are going to be working there 40 hours a week for years, you can't expect to have a stone face the entire time. Even accomplishing that isn't going to help you, because people expect normal facial and body language when you are engaged in the conversation even if you are simply passively listening in a group meeting. You need to address the actual problem you have and it isn't by turning yourself to stone.

Maybe if you gave us examples of conversations which fit your criteria for BS. I'm asking, because I suspect it will reveal the source of your attitude problem.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:12 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,961,331 times
I understand the OP's dilemma, since I have the same problem.....my face gives away my thoughts and I don't even realize I'm doing it. I think I missed my calling, since people with this ability usually make great actors and actresses.

And no, I have never found a solution to maintaining a poker face.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:34 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,906,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
It's a skill, like anything else. Improving will just take practice.

Even if you don't agree with what's being said, most of the time the other person does believe what they are saying. Most people are not trying to intentionally mislead you. Try to understand their perspective, and why they think what they're saying is true while listening. IMO focusing on understanding them is more valuable than keeping a blank face.
^^^ This It is a skill and can be improved upon. Some people naturally seem to be able to keep a poker face but even for those who don't, it can be learned. It might be more difficult or take longer but it is not impossible.

This is the truth--focus on understanding them and active listening rather than deciding if it is BS or not while you are listening to them. After they are done talking, review a couple of their main points back to them to show them you understand. The analyze if it was BS or not is AFTER they have left the area. Also, it may seem like BS to you but it may be something that works for them so keep that in mind. It's fine to periodically nod or say, "okay" & engage in give-take discussion rather than forcing yourself to stand there like a statue.

I've had 2 career paths that require a straight face but HR for certain requires a straight face. Employees have come to me saying they need to go home because they have pooped their pants. I can't count how many times over the years I've had to address issues with hygiene in the workplace by talking with people about bad breath, body odor, feminine odor, and smelly feet. I've also had the 'pleasure' of being the one to address other issues such as an employee who had a chronic issue with half his arse crack showing, employees who picked their noses, and so on. Oh, and HR gets the job of telling people they are fired which is absolutely NEVER a pleasant one.

I do feel embarrassed in the situations where I have to talk with people about hygiene and feel sympathy for the ones I have to let go. I've felt outright upset about quite a few people I've had to let go.

I learned to keep a straight face by focusing on the task/issue rather than how I feel, giving myself permission to later express the feelings, and thinking about the other person. When I say thinking about the other person I mean thinking about the impact it would have on them if I did not keep a straight face. If I acted embarrassed and uncomfortable addressing a hygiene issue, it would make it just that much more uncomfortable for the affected person. If I started getting outwardly upset while letting someone go, it would stir up additional stress in the person--which they don't need!

You can practice by having a friend try to make you have a reaction and work on resisting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment