Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 01:13 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,410,062 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for a job in a Mormon owned company and it was very similar. I did dodge that bullet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 01:52 PM

13,158 posts, read 21,171,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
What do you think and how would you proceed? I'm not one of those people who talks about suing and getting lawyers, etc., but this behavior was really beyond anything I've ever experienced before in an interview! I'm really bummed about it too because it paid extremely well.
It is accepted practice only for certain religious organizations to use faith based criteria in hiring. All other private companies can not use religion as a hiring criteria.

Since July 1965, asking questions about a person protected class status has been legal, but there is an automatic presumption that it was used as a basis for hiring otherwise Why Was It Asked? This has long been used to shift the burden of primary proof from the individual to prove discrimination to the company to prove it was not.

Unfortunately so many average workers think that they have to prove discrimination even when a presumption applies. So, employers have gotten away with such practices because workers are just to ignorant or wimpy to complain. Odds are others before you also were asked this question and did nothing so it continued to you. The question is, will you continue to enable them to get away with it or are you going to be the one to stand up and put your foot down.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,575,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Again, I'm more than qualified for this position. I found it strange how it all happened and I'm sure my interview was cut short due to my answers from his religious type questions. I feel if I don't get this position that I was discriminated some how. I am in my mid 40's, but don't look like it, more like mid 30's and Caucasian, blond and fair skinned.
Just because YOU think you're qualified for the position doesn't mean you were the most qualified person who applied. How do you know that there weren't more qualified candidates that were interviewed? Maybe that's why you may not get the job?

If you feel strongly enough, contact the EEOC and lodge a general complaint. When they contact the employer, that may stop them from asking these questions in the future. None of this will help you in your job search.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,113,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Since July 1965, asking questions about a person protected class status has been legal, but there is an automatic presumption that it was used as a basis for hiring otherwise Why Was It Asked? This has long been used to shift the burden of primary proof from the individual to prove discrimination to the company to prove it was not.
Interesting. Do you have a citation for statutory or case law that we can refer to?

Old 08-04-2018, 02:58 PM

34,210 posts, read 17,295,386 times
GLASSDOOR.

Post a detailed review.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:12 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,784,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Just because YOU think you're qualified for the position doesn't mean you were the most qualified person who applied. How do you know that there weren't more qualified candidates that were interviewed? Maybe that's why you may not get the job?

If you feel strongly enough, contact the EEOC and lodge a general complaint. When they contact the employer, that may stop them from asking these questions in the future. None of this will help you in your job search.
I suppose there could have been better candidates; however, I have almost 20 years in the business. The fact that several questions were asked of me that should not have been asked during the interview process is disturbing. I don’t know if they hired someone else or not or if they even made a decision yet. I just had the interview on Thursday, but it had bothered me ever since. Do I want to work there now? Probably not, but it was a good paying job and it’s too bad.

I was asking if they could get away with what they are doing and if it is in fact discrimination if I’m not offered the job? I feel it very well could be. Like I said earlier, even the office managers eyes got big when he started asking these questions of me!

Old 08-04-2018, 04:16 PM

13,158 posts, read 21,171,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Interesting. Do you have a citation for statutory or case law that we can refer to?
It's based on the "McDonnell-Douglass Test". The essence is, if the employer asked you a question concerning a protected class issue, it is reasonable to assume the basis was to use it for a hiring decision.

As employers, we are constantly warned that although the act of asking is not a violation of law, there is seldom any non discriminatory reason to be asking, so what remains is it was a basis used to influence the hiring decision.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:39 PM

2,128 posts, read 1,788,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Are you married? Well, yes and no. I keep a harem. Would you like to see some pitchers?

Husband's profession? Hit man for mob, military sniper, bar bouncer, street fighter, kung fu master, alcoholic bar brawler...
"I COULD tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

LOLOLOLOLOL!

Old 08-04-2018, 05:44 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,591,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
It's based on the "McDonnell-Douglass Test". The essence is, if the employer asked you a question concerning a protected class issue, it is reasonable to assume the basis was to use it for a hiring decision.

As employers, we are constantly warned that although the act of asking is not a violation of law, there is seldom any non discriminatory reason to be asking, so what remains is it was a basis used to influence the hiring decision.
Nobody ever said it was smart.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,449,708 times
Unfortunately it's not illegal to ask the question. It's only illegal to not hire on the basis of the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment