Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 05:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I suppose there could have been better candidates; however, I have almost 20 years in the business. The fact that several questions were asked of me that should not have been asked during the interview process is disturbing. I don’t know if they hired someone else or not or if they even made a decision yet. I just had the interview on Thursday, but it had bothered me ever since. Do I want to work there now? Probably not, but it was a good paying job and it’s too bad.

I was asking if they could get away with what they are doing and if it is in fact discrimination if I’m not offered the job? I feel it very well could be. Like I said earlier, even the office managers eyes got big when he started asking these questions of me!
Having 20 years in the business doesn't mean you are a guaranteed fit for this particular job. I know candidates have a hard time believing that they aren't perfect for every job they apply to.

It's not discrimination to ask the question. It's illegal to base a hiring decision off any answers received. How are you going to prove discrimination when they can show the qualifications of the person hired (if not you) next to yours?

Again, feel free to lodge a general complaint but I think calling this discrimination is a bit premature.

In the future, when faced with these questions, just answer, "I'd rather not discuss that but I would like to share the time I ran the marketing campaign for..." Redirect back to safe territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 05:56 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
OMG. Report that idiot.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:06 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Having 20 years in the business doesn't mean you are a guaranteed fit for this particular job. I know candidates have a hard time believing that they aren't perfect for every job they apply to.

It's not discrimination to ask the question. It's illegal to base a hiring decision off any answers received. How are you going to prove discrimination when they can show the qualifications of the person hired (if not you) next to yours?

Again, feel free to lodge a general complaint but I think calling this discrimination is a bit premature.

In the future, when faced with these questions, just answer, "I'd rather not discuss that but I would like to share the time I ran the marketing campaign for..." Redirect back to safe territory.
But wouldn't someone with 20 years 'in the business' be (at least ) in their 40s?? These days (especially in the past few years) employers are tripping over themselves to hire fresh faced attractive 'recent college grads' and then 'promote them' to senior level or even some VP/AVP title by the time they are in their 30s'.. Most who were unemployed especially long term unemployed past 2011 were in their 40s or older while millenials just out of school even with no experience were getting multitudes of job offers

Maybe it is anecdotal but anyone who works in NYC or Boston would probably agree... Of course it is only safe to tell someone who is NOT a minority that is isn't a fit or the 'personalities don't match'..

I would launch a complain just to see the reaction of the employer, and don't forget if the employer starts to bad mouth the person who complained that is grounds for a defamation & slander lawsuit

Old 08-04-2018, 06:09 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
I agree w/most everyone who replied here. I believe the questions asked, and the comment made about asking your husband about working, were completely inappropriate. But they were red flags and if you are not hired, count your blessings. That said, I would very likely report this to the appropriate entity, maybe even to the CEO of the company, so someone is aware of this situation. It could be a liability for the company and it probably should stop.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:16 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:

Whether someone is a guaranteed fit for any job is up for debate, but employers often use this excuse for asking discriminatory questions. In this case, the line of questioning was completely out of line. There is no legitimate business-related reason to ask someone if they go to church, whether she is married, and whether her husband would approve of her working.

The OP should definitely report this to corporate HQ and possibly to other entities.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
But wouldn't someone with 20 years 'in the business' be (at least ) in their 40s?? These days (especially in the past few years) employers are tripping over themselves to hire fresh faced attractive 'recent college grads' and then 'promote them' to senior level or even some VP/AVP title by the time they are in their 30s'.. Most who were unemployed especially long term unemployed past 2011 were in their 40s or older while millenials just out of school even with no experience were getting multitudes of job offers

Maybe it is anecdotal but anyone who works in NYC or Boston would probably agree... Of course it is only safe to tell someone who is NOT a minority that is isn't a fit or the 'personalities don't match'..

I would launch a complain just to see the reaction of the employer, and don't forget if the employer starts to bad mouth the person who complained that is grounds for a defamation & slander lawsuit
Huh? I'm in my late 40s. I was unemployed in 2011-2013. I've been through it all. Even with all my experience, I am realistic to know that I AM NOT A FIT FOR EVERY OPEN JOB IN MY FIELD. Even having 20 years in the business doesn't automatically make everyone qualified for everything.

In the OPs case, what if there was a candidate that has fewer years of experience, but that experience was in the exact, specific specialty as the employer?

I've already told the OP to submit an official complaint to the EEOC. How would the OP be able to prove discrimination? Even if the OP was a "minority," one interview isn't proof of discrimination. Last time I checked, all types of people go on interviews and don't get hired.

I'm using my rational brain based off of what the OP wrote. Most discrimination cases are based on a long term documented pattern of behavior. One interview does not a discrimination case make. Seriously, don't people know how these things work?

Old 08-04-2018, 07:39 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Quote:
Huh? I'm in my late 40s. I was unemployed in 2011-2013. I've been through it all. Even with all my experience, I am realistic to know that I AM NOT A FIT FOR EVERY OPEN JOB IN MY FIELD. Even having 20 years in the business doesn't automatically make everyone qualified for everything.

In the OPs case, what if there was a candidate that has fewer years of experience, but that experience was in the exact, specific specialty as the employer?

I've already told the OP to submit an official complaint to the EEOC. How would the OP be able to prove discrimination? Even if the OP was a "minority," one interview isn't proof of discrimination. Last time I checked, all types of people go on interviews and don't get hired.

I'm using my rational brain based off of what the OP wrote. Most discrimination cases are based on a long term documented pattern of behavior. One interview does not a discrimination case make. Seriously, don't people know how these things work?
Agreed. Usually discrimination is a pattern and maybe this employer has been reported before. I don’t know. I never said I was the most qualified, but I am qualified and they did seem very interested, but I also never encountered behavior like that before during an interview and needed some advice on how to handle it. I do feel if I don’t get the job (which at this point I’d decline anyway) it would be based on my answers to the religion questions. Also I don’t think he liked my reply when he asked me if my DH would mind me working and I should ask him. I told him that my husband trusts my judgment in the positions I accept.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:47 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
Quote:
I live in NW Indiana and had an interview this week for a Marketing Rep position for a very large medical lab facility in Illinois. I met with the owner of the facility (some are franchised owned and some are corporate owned) and the Office Manager. During the interview, out of no where the owner asks me if I'm religious? I was taken back by the question as I know you're not supposed to ask that. I look over at the Office Manager and you can tell she was shocked too. I said, "Well aren't most people to some degree"? And he said "No" and then proceeded to ask about my skills, etc. About 10 minutes later he asks "Did you go to church this past Sunday?" And I said "No", because I actually did not. It's then that I notice he had a cross on the wall in his office as well. Soon after he says I should ask my husband how he feels about me working there. I asked "Why"? and he said "Well you're married right? Do you also have kids? Your husband might need to approve you working". I'm sure after that I had a shocked looked on my face! He then says they'll call me when they are done with interviews if I qualify for a second interview.

Again, I'm more than qualified for this position. I found it strange how it all happened and I'm sure my interview was cut short due to my answers from his religious type questions. I feel if I don't get this position that I was discriminated some how. I am in my mid 40's, but don't look like it, more like mid 30's and Caucasian, blond and fair skinned.

What do you think and how would you proceed? I'm not one of those people who talks about suing and getting lawyers, etc., but this behavior was really beyond anything I've ever experienced before in an interview! I'm really bummed about it too because it paid extremely well.
I would forget about the job... it is not going to happen, and if it did, you wouldn't want it. Then I would report the owner/interviewer to the EEOC. Whether or not they take your "word" for it, at least you will have gone on the record.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:49 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
I live in NW Indiana and had an interview this week for a Marketing Rep position for a very large medical lab facility in Illinois. I met with the owner of the facility (some are franchised owned and some are corporate owned) and the Office Manager. During the interview, out of no where the owner asks me if I'm religious? I was taken back by the question as I know you're not supposed to ask that. I look over at the Office Manager and you can tell she was shocked too. I said, "Well aren't most people to some degree"? And he said "No" and then proceeded to ask about my skills, etc. About 10 minutes later he asks "Did you go to church this past Sunday?" And I said "No", because I actually did not. It's then that I notice he had a cross on the wall in his office as well. Soon after he says I should ask my husband how he feels about me working there. I asked "Why"? and he said "Well you're married right? Do you also have kids? Your husband might need to approve you working". I'm sure after that I had a shocked looked on my face! He then says they'll call me when they are done with interviews if I qualify for a second interview.

Again, I'm more than qualified for this position. I found it strange how it all happened and I'm sure my interview was cut short due to my answers from his religious type questions. I feel if I don't get this position that I was discriminated some how. I am in my mid 40's, but don't look like it, more like mid 30's and Caucasian, blond and fair skinned.

What do you think and how would you proceed? I'm not one of those people who talks about suing and getting lawyers, etc., but this behavior was really beyond anything I've ever experienced before in an interview! I'm really bummed about it too because it paid extremely well.
I guess you need the job, but I wouldn't want to work there. That's when he's on his best behavior. He would be worse, once you worked there. Constant put-downs, condescending, insisting on speaking with your husband about your work schedule, lower raises than the men (that is still legal).

I would consider making a complaint to the EEOC...if you don't want the job.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Usually discrimination is a pattern and maybe this employer has been reported before. I don’t know. I never said I was the most qualified, but I am qualified and they did seem very interested, but I also never encountered behavior like that before during an interview and needed some advice on how to handle it. I do feel if I don’t get the job (which at this point I’d decline anyway) it would be based on my answers to the religion questions. Also I don’t think he liked my reply when he asked me if my DH would mind me working and I should ask him. I told him that my husband trusts my judgment in the positions I accept.
Feelings are not evidence of truth. But, like I've said multiple times, look into filing a complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment