Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHitsAWall View Post
I grew up in NYC. Got my Bachelor's and moved back in with my parents and was unemployed for close to 3 years, minus a temp job I did for 6-8 weeks and a stipend I received last summer for an otherwise unpaid internship. Felt depressed and trapped for most of that time.

It's one of many reasons I left NYC. Bachelor's are often considered worthless but beyond that- just for comparison - I started taking grad courses for a certificate program in spring 2017. Got a PT min wage job in fall of 2017 (to give a rough timeline, I finished undergrad end of 2014 which is where my 3 year estimate comes in). I still would get rejected even for things like sales associate or other basic entry level jobs while taking grad courses and having a more specialized background (not to mention another unpaid internship I'd been doing for almost 4 years...). Apparently, you need to have years of experience in even those types entry level, retail types of jobs to qualify.

My min wage job was at a poorly run little company that no one wanted to be at but we needed the money, most of us because we were apparently worthless to society college grads. And where i do have experience they typically look for a Master's so I really dug myself into a hole by pursuing my interests in a sense.

Relocated to finish out a Master's. I've been here about 5 weeks now, school's been going on for 4 (when more opportunities started coming up) and received a job offer on campus last week. I don't know how much of it has to do with moving and how much with just being enrolled in a grad program on paper. But I will say I found a job that pays higher than NYC's min wage (which is also higher than min wage here due to lower COL), in a matter of weeks. Whereas the closest I got pay-wise in NYC was that temp job and it wasn't very relevant to what I wanted to be doing. It involved knocking on doors in the projects and asking people if they wanted to take a survey... and I think you can see where I'm going.

So I do sympathize with OP. I do believe NYC can be form over function when it comes to employment (among other things), which makes it challenging for those who have a more meritocratic as opposed to image-based (e.g., "how do I look the part and say all the right things to impress the interviewer and show how unique I am?") orientation.

ETA: BTW, people do "gay for pay" (as in, they're not actually gay), but I get where you're coming from, OP, I can't get my head around how people do it myself.
Now we're talking. This is the c*** that people who are intelligent but don't quite fit the Barbie/Ken mold go through. My nephew lived with my mother during college breaks and after graduation. He worked for Best Buy and as a security guard. He didn't fare much better after grad school when he lived with me. He didn't land a solid job in Philly or NYC. He got a job in the Middle East--where he was abducted and held hostage-- for a couple of weeks. It was a case of mistaken identity. The next job was for an international organization based in Switzerland which was trying to stop torture in third word countries. Yeah, right. He and his co-worker managed to steal a car and get across the border before the roads closed.

He's now in his 30s, happily married, lives in Barcelona, and has a great office job. That's much nicer than getting a text telling me to call his mother and tell her that A: he was going to be dead, or B: he was my favorite nephew.

He has a fabulous sense of humor and he is my favorite nephew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 08:37 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeadviser View Post
Guys, I Cant get a job for nothing in the world.I've had interviews but each time they say the're going to call me back, they never do. What gives? There is no reason to go on in life if you are poor. Its times like these to were I wish I was a female so I can make adult vids.
Work in a Call Center. Stressful, but always guaranteed a job with the high turnover rate in many of them

Old 09-21-2018, 11:31 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,043 times
What skills do you bring to the table?
Employers aren't looking to train anymore.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:11 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,881,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Now we're talking. This is the c*** that people who are intelligent but don't quite fit the Barbie/Ken mold go through. My nephew lived with my mother during college breaks and after graduation. He worked for Best Buy and as a security guard. He didn't fare much better after grad school when he lived with me. He didn't land a solid job in Philly or NYC. He got a job in the Middle East--where he was abducted and held hostage-- for a couple of weeks. It was a case of mistaken identity. The next job was for an international organization based in Switzerland which was trying to stop torture in third word countries. Yeah, right. He and his co-worker managed to steal a car and get across the border before the roads closed.

He's now in his 30s, happily married, lives in Barcelona, and has a great office job. That's much nicer than getting a text telling me to call his mother and tell her that A: he was going to be dead, or B: he was my favorite nephew.

He has a fabulous sense of humor and he is my favorite nephew.
More and more American Men will need to expatriate in my opinion. For both love and work.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:12 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,881,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Work in a Call Center. Stressful, but always guaranteed a job with the high turnover rate in many of them
You would think so.

But they fire quick as well. They also blacklist former employees. They want fresh meat only

Old 09-21-2018, 11:16 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Yes, it is tough. What type of feedback are you getting back during the interview? It is seasonal employment time. Something is better than nothing. Keep looking while working a flexible shift.

It is not a great time to be looking. They usually hire in September. I read January is the #1 time to hire. September is second.

I learned during my search employers are not interested in training.

Good luck!
Its almost impossible to receive True feedback. Usually if you are able to get feedback the feedback is something generic like "they filled the role with another candidate" or a canned reason like "position "cancelled" or "put on hold".;. You will hardly ever get the "real reason" why you were called for the interview, the interview seemed to go well but for "some reason", some strange reason the hiring manager decided not to hire you.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Do Uber and UPS warehouse. Then make a plan for something better.
1) Uber you need your own vehicle 3 years or newer and I can't even imagine the amount for auto insurance each month

2) UPS starts you off at part time meaning around 20 hours a week at the starting wage of around $15 per hour.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
I am in the same boat as you, I was in a Customer Service position which took a severe toll on my mental health.
After taking a LOA for a few weeks i stupidly enough decided to resign, Now for the past three-months i've been in debt applying for hundreds of jobs and going to interviews only to have my time wasted.

If one feels there "mental health" is taking a toll, I would suggest getting a prescription for a general SSRI like Prozac (fluoxetine) and /or an anti anxiety medication that isn't a true opioid like Neurontin (Gabapentin)… Most primary care doctors will even prescribe since these aren't controlled substances

Old 09-22-2018, 12:26 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
1) Uber you need your own vehicle 3 years or newer and I can't even imagine the amount for auto insurance each month

2) UPS starts you off at part time meaning around 20 hours a week at the starting wage of around $15 per hour.
Both will hire immediately and as far as I know will literally hire anyone (including former felons), which was why I suggested these two things. Did not mean he should do these jobs indefinitely. He said he only had $10 and needed a job ASAP, so it was an immediate but temporary suggestion.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:30 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Employers aren't looking to train anymore.
What do you base that on? My employer, and every one of our partners and competitors, is all about training. We cannot survive without it.

Now, if you mean, "I should be able to walk in the door with no education, no skills, no experience; and they'll train me up and stick me in a six-figure job", you're right... nobody is willing to do that. Except the military!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment