Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 12:12 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times

Advertisements

Any male boss who openly flirts in this present time is beyond dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 12:29 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
I don't plan on it. I was told the other week however that I will be held back because of this.
This can't be serious. No one ever would say that...

Old 10-08-2018, 12:32 PM

9,392 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
This can't be serious. No one ever would say that...
My thoughts exactly. Seems made up to create effect.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:00 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
I don't plan on it. I was told the other week however that I will be held back because of this.

Can you recall their exact language when adressing this with you? Because what you're describing is sounding like sexual harassment. Implying that you must flirt with the guys to keep your job...is classic sexual harassment on the job.

However, if your boss is saying that your unfriendliness and bad attitude are becoming an issue...that CAN be a different scenario.

I'm not implying you have a bad attitude...I guess I'm just kind of incredulous that in 2018, there's still a man in management who hasn't had a sexual harassment training course yet. LOL

Old 10-08-2018, 01:01 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
And if he really IS using words like "be more flirty"...I think you should take it up with the EEOC.

AND start documenting these conversations.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
I strongly doubt poster was directed to "flirt" more but can likely believe was asked to be more sociable.

This isn't grade school, being "held back" isn't a demotion or public reprimand, it's simply limiting future advancement if poster doesn't develop stronger social skills. Many positions expect and require employees to meet levels of social interaction.

If OP was in a highly skilled technical position it probably wouldn't matter.

I'm a very private person too but show a public face, engage in employee banter, converse in others personal interests and experiences.
OP, unless you share some additional detail please ignore the "Document!" and "Lawsuit!" blowhards.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:17 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Not outright hostile. Just a little backtalk. "Why can't you be like that?" "Well I would, but you guys ain't such a good catch to me." Then back to work as normal. Crazy that some people here are recommending that a woman should leave their job just because they're getting some unwanted attention. Men stop acting like that once you teach them not to!
If they stopped after being told once, even twice, there wouldn't be all the laws and men in jail now for harassment. Nobody recommended her walking off the job. Everyone said, start seeking a new job. An employee should never have to defend the fact they're doing their job. If management is not protective, and even conciliatory in their actions, that company's not gonna change, so the best option is to change employment places.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:28 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Being approachable is part of public service jobs.
Being in sales requires 'selling yourself' , this sometimes includes being complimentary (which some consider 'flirty'). I recall a comment from a sales guy saying 'you have a pleasant smile!' Was it the tone though that had an underlying flirtiness to it? Doubtful since it was at face value an opinion with a good observation

I tend to think in a work environment some civil and jovial banter can be had. It's human to be a part of life ...
Being friendly doesn't require being 'fresh'.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:50 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
If they stopped after being told once, even twice, there wouldn't be all the laws and men in jail now for harassment.
There doesn't need to be any laws. You tell someone to beat it. No law against that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Nobody recommended her walking off the job. Everyone said, start seeking a new job.
Is this how people think? I'm going to remember that one.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:57 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I strongly doubt poster was directed to "flirt" more but can likely believe was asked to be more sociable.

This isn't grade school, being "held back" isn't a demotion or public reprimand, it's simply limiting future advancement if poster doesn't develop stronger social skills. Many positions expect and require employees to meet levels of social interaction.

If OP was in a highly skilled technical position it probably wouldn't matter.

I'm a very private person too but show a public face, engage in employee banter, converse in others personal interests and experiences.
OP, unless you share some additional detail please ignore the "Document!" and "Lawsuit!" blowhards.
No, management does not specifically say to flirt but that is what all the girls in the office call it at this point.

There isn't anything about it that I would consider over-the-top but I don't find it professional either. I cannot imagine that "good morning sunshine" is an appropriate greeting between a manager and a subordinate. Not lawsuit material maybe but I won't be giggling at it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment