Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 02:43 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,794,986 times

Advertisements

Being in an office environment one is expected to react with their co-workers, and not shun them. If you are doing it with your co-workers you are also going to be doing it with customers, vendors, etc.

The office is a team, any workers are expected to react with one another. If they do not do so, they are seen as unfriendly and that the other workers are not worthy of their time. That is not what employers want, as it causes dissension in the office. Not acceptable in an office environment.

When you are told that you are not being advanced due to your attitude, it is a sign the company is starting to look at you as a liability that works against the firm and reactions between employees. In other words, you have just been told to shape up or ship out, as the Navy says. This means start getting along with your co-workers, or you you are soon going to be out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 11:50 AM

722 posts, read 1,110,811 times
Well, oddly enough I am still at this job. New management came in a few years back and ran out the old ones (apparently one had been doing some shady stuff). My area is now all women, including the supervisors, and everyone has been getting along great. Turns out another gal I had been working with got into something with one of the guys as well, before they had been fine, and she quit talking to him several months before he was gone. Not entirely sure what happened there but I believe he tried to get her into trouble for one of his messes after she pointed out to him it wasn't going right.

Old 09-18-2021, 01:59 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,331,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Bet that got your attention. Anyways...lately I have been feeling more pressure from up above about my "attitude". Apparently I don't engage well in the water-cooler talk department, especially with the boys. And I have some kind of stereo-typical macho managers. The ones that like to talk muscle cars, boats and how often they hit the gym. I don't participate much in this, I tend to not talk about a lot of personal things at work and just get my stuff done. Other women in the office are much better at this than I am. They smile, laugh and to a small degree...flirt, with the men there. Not in a bad way, it's very minor and doesn't mean anything. I just don't do it. And this is a problem I guess. I don't know why. The managers are trying to tell me that this means good customer service when we are friendly and I agree with that. But talking about what I did on the weekend with coworkers is not related to customer service. I can see that with an external customer but not as a casual office conversation because someone is bored and doesn't feel like doing their job. They are constantly talking to the other women I work with, getting their mild flirt on, and then commenting to me why I can't be like that.
I did not see this OP for almost three years. If I saw, I would have posted something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Well, oddly enough I am still at this job. New management came in a few years back and ran out the old ones (apparently one had been doing some shady stuff). My area is now all women, including the supervisors, and everyone has been getting along great. Turns out another gal I had been working with got into something with one of the guys as well, before they had been fine, and she quit talking to him several months before he was gone. Not entirely sure what happened there but I believe he tried to get her into trouble for one of his messes after she pointed out to him it wasn't going right.
Thanks for updating. Congratulations for you are still there (if that's what you like). I believe not all employers and/or managers want employees to chitchatting, interacting (not reacting) with or to each other. As long as you do your job well, you are okay with them, or they like you better that way. For those who always think everybody should socialize at work, to tell others about their weekends and personal things, that is because they are like that, and they think they are better than others that way. To me that is not right. Everybody is different. You don't have to be like others; and others don't have to be like you. If others insist you need to do things that you don't like or think it's wrong, you don't have to follow them.

I hate chitchatting too much about personal things at work. I just do my job, and I do it well. I try to do my eight and hit the gate. I have no problems with the management (except one time with this manager who did not like me for I was not social, but she's not here now). I know many people in the management like the way I work because I'm organize and get things done. I don't care to move up into the management. I'm happy with my job and my pay. I like to enjoy life when I'm off work.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:38 AM

722 posts, read 1,110,811 times
Yup, I am similar. Just like to get things done. The previous manager didn't want things done, he just wanted to look important but didn't like actually accomplishing things. So there was the rub. New management is now seeing the backlog so they need people who are "doers". Honestly you need a balance of both in the work place. It is important to know everyone is different. You're ahead of most people on that front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment