Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 07:57 AM

349 posts, read 243,850 times

Advertisements

I used to work for the fed, and worked a compressed schedule. First week: Mon-Thur were 9-hour days, and Friday (which was payday for pay period before) I worked 8 hours. Second week: Monday off, Tues-Thur were 9-hour days.

I miss having a day off every other week. I’d be open to that, or even working 10 hours to get a day off every week, since I now WFH, and use that for appointments, etc. But at my current job I have a phone shift so it wouldn’t be feasible in my current position. But I love this job more than my fed job, so can’t complain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 08:50 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,766 times
I did a 9x4 (actually a 10x4 w/ 1 hr lunch), and it was okay. It's an acquired taste for sure. I was taking classes at the time, so it felt more daunting than it would have otherwise. There's nothing like being mentally tired and trying to study for a couple hours each night. As long as you have time to unwind in the evenings, it's A-OK with me. Having Fridays off were very nice.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:26 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azelk View Post
What would you choose:
8 hours x 5 days/week
6 hours x 6 days/week or
9 hours x 4 days/week?
Depends on the week.

I rarely work much on Fridays. Neither does anyone else. Worst case, we're done by noon.

I have some very slow days where I barely check email once in a while. I have some days where I start at 6AM, and some where I knock off at 2PM. During the summer, everyone knows I'm in the pool at 3PM and to only schedule a call that is actually important, as I won't show up otherwise.

Who needs a time clock ticking away? Why is it so important to sit down at this time and get up at that time? If you're on an assembly line, sure. But my vote is to work as much as and when I need to to get my job done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment