Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 03:13 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,294,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS776 View Post
Hello.
I am 24 and have started working as a teller at a credit union almost two months ago. A position at my workplace has opened up for a financial services representative. All internal employees can try for this job. We were also told everyone who applies will be given an interview. I'm not sure what to do. I kind of want to try for it but I don't know if I stand a chance.

One thing I think might help me is that a two year degree is preferred. I will earn my two year degree in business in May. I just think of how it pays more, and is something different. I think there's a possibility I would like this job better.

There is no doubt going to be competition for this position. I just worry I will look silly trying due to being fairly new.

I'm just stuck with the idea really. I want to try, but I don't want it to look bad. But then I see this opportunity and I feel I could do it, and do the job very well.

Should I just forget about it and move on?
Of course you have a chance! Put yourself out there and go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:08 PM

6,865 posts, read 11,667,315 times
Here’s my story. I worked for a government agency and usually with a “step up” position the bigwigs already knew who they were going to pick. So when a XYZ, Senior position came up, I knew that the XYZ, Jr. was going to get it. I was in a different part of the agency, but I applied anyway. I had an interview, but as expected the XYZ Jr. got it. BUT apparently I made a good enough impression that when the now vacated Junior position came up, they dispensed with the formality of interviews and just offered me the job, “based on your previous interview.” Exact words I still remember 34 years later!

Never a bad idea to get yourself out in front of decision makers and show you’re interested in upward mobility. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2019, 04:32 AM

12,130 posts, read 23,439,894 times
No reason not to apply.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:37 AM

914 posts, read 650,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Here’s my story. I worked for a government agency and usually with a “step up” position the bigwigs already knew who they were going to pick. So when a XYZ, Senior position came up, I knew that the XYZ, Jr. was going to get it. I was in a different part of the agency, but I applied anyway. I had an interview, but as expected the XYZ Jr. got it. BUT apparently I made a good enough impression that when the now vacated Junior position came up, they dispensed with the formality of interviews and just offered me the job, “based on your previous interview.” Exact words I still remember 34 years later!

Never a bad idea to get yourself out in front of decision makers and show you’re interested in upward mobility. Good luck!
hah! that's a great story! That's similar to how I got the job I'm in now, but at the time I was external of the org and had an interview. They remembered me and called me back for the subsequent opening. Felt good at the time.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:15 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,844,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS776 View Post
Hello.
I am 24 and have started working as a teller at a credit union almost two months ago. A position at my workplace has opened up for a financial services representative. All internal employees can try for this job. We were also told everyone who applies will be given an interview. I'm not sure what to do. I kind of want to try for it but I don't know if I stand a chance.

One thing I think might help me is that a two year degree is preferred. I will earn my two year degree in business in May. I just think of how it pays more, and is something different. I think there's a possibility I would like this job better.

There is no doubt going to be competition for this position. I just worry I will look silly trying due to being fairly new.

I'm just stuck with the idea really. I want to try, but I don't want it to look bad. But then I see this opportunity and I feel I could do it, and do the job very well.

Should I just forget about it and move on?
It never hurts to apply, it DOES hurt to not apply (Financially) or even emotionally...Because if you don't, you never know if you could have gotten it.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:25 AM

35,286 posts, read 31,665,397 times
Keep in mind that is largely a sales role, with all that comes with that.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:56 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,265,758 times
Are you good at sales? Do you have a sales background or previous employment as a salesperson?

If not, game over. Don't go for this job.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:35 PM

3,401 posts, read 3,604,756 times
Don’t give up without trying. If you are not selected, at least you tried. There might be others with more experience, but sometime attitude and personality actually mean more. So, if it comes to a point where they ask you why they should consider you as the candidate, simply let them know that you are new and you are always ready and willing to learn new stuffs. In addition, if needed, you can stay late. This is under the assumption that you are on the same page with me of what I just said.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:40 PM

22,174 posts, read 9,744,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Keep in mind that is largely a sales role, with all that comes with that.
This is what I was thinking, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment