Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:09 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,901,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking2bHappy View Post
I have one count of stalking and one count of harassment on my criminal record. Both are misdemeanors and both occurred at the same time (single incident) back in 2016.

I discovered I cannot expunge these convictions, and I cannot seal them from employment background checks for at least 10 years.

What are the likely consequences regarding employment, and what are the best options?

My goal is to become self-employed.
The majority of background checks will go back 7 years; longer for upper management positions.

I've done the hiring at various companies and will tell you that policies vary depending on hiring people with prior convictions on their records. Since they are not felonies you have a little more breathing room but it will also depend upon the hiring manager's discretion. I hire for manufacturing (variety of roles) and if your qualifications met what we were looking for I would be open to hiring you since the conviction is several years old and wouldn't be related to your work.

I have hired people before with 'backgrounds' and it has worked out fine. Not all other HR people see it this way so you might have to take a bit more time on the job search.

You will want to be honest about it up front though and emphasize how you have changed your behavior; don't go into a long explanation about it and keep the discussion positive.

As others have mentioned contract to hire work also might be a good option to get your foot in the door at companies since you have some valuable skills in IT.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,657,027 times
Quote:
I have one count of stalking and one count of harassment on my criminal record. Both are misdemeanors and both occurred at the same time (single incident) back in 2016.

I discovered I cannot expunge these convictions, and I cannot seal them from employment background checks for at least 10 years.

What are the likely consequences regarding employment...
I think you'd have a difficult time getting past filters at a large company. I think you'd need to find a hiring manager who you could:
  • Convince the manager you are a viable - even ideal candidate, and
  • Explain the circumstances of your misdemeanors and somehow convince the manager you're not a threat to anyone anymore.

The hiring manager would need to go to bat for you. To do that, the hiring manager would need a REASON to go to bat for you. That's a long shot.

Given your programming skills, I'm wondering if you'd be a good fit as an IT contractor working on (relatively) shorter projects. There are several IT body shops around that might hire you. Some of them have negative reputations, so you'd have to do a bit of homework.

Regarding stalking and harassment, the hiring employer would be concerned about a hypothetical future fixation on another employee which, again hypothetically, result in that other employee feeling harassed & stalked. If the employer were sued by the other employee and it came to light the knowingly hired you - a convicted stalker & harasser - well, the jury might not look kindly on that.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:18 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,843 times
Quote:
I am a former EMT. I am skilled in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, and SQL.
Increase your network of contacts through user groups, Linkedin, etc. Have someone you get to know recommend you for work with their company or someone they know. The point is, you need to do this to by-pass the usual HR situation.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
What type of positions do you oversee?
Mostly Administrative work in leasing and utilities, but also have to be notaries, and have access to secure locations.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:16 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Quote:
Now that I am OLDER and looking back on it, yes I made a mistake. Although, back then, I was developmentally delayed in maturity, hence the reason why I have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

Although I made mistakes, I can also say I meant no harm to her or anyone. I know deep down inside I am not a terrible person.

I feel this matter should have been approached differently back then.
Well just judging by this response, seems like you have grown. I hope the best for you. Check Indeed.com for contractor opportunities.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:49 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,553 times
Quote:

What are the likely consequences regarding employment, and what are the best options?

My goal is to become self-employed.
If I were the employer Id toss your application in the garbage bin.

If you want to become self employed you shouldn't care what a manager would say.

If you apply for a job, I'd be forward and inform the manager about what happened and prove to him you have changed.

But honestly, nobody would want to have a coworker who harrases or stalks others in a work environmenet. You would be seen like someone who might l cause problems.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:09 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
If I may make a suggestion - forget about being an employee and consider being your own company / employer.
As to what service / business to enter, that is the question. See a need, fill a need. Companies don't need credentials, just happy customers.
If you hire employees, they'll be the ones going through the background checks.
- - - -
Any "Business for Dummies" book is a good starting point.

Business in a nutshell is accounting and a business plan. Luckily, computer software can do the finicky accounting for you. But the business plan is like a computer program, listing all the steps and items you need to run your business. That's what you show to prospective investors when you need capital.

From the customer's frame of reference, the business is a problem solver for something they cannot do for themselves.
Repair electronics - install a garage door - replace flooring - install an over-the-air antenna 30 ft up - run a LAN network - Pest control - provide lodgings and food service - write a web page - install and maintain a server - custom tailoring - and so on.

Also, if you can deal with bartering, you may find it a valuable way to trade goods and services with other businesses.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:07 PM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Based on your skills I would have said healthcare IT but I don’t think you’d pass the background check to qualify for the positions because they’re pretty stringent since you deal with PHI. I think it will be a significant barrier in any healthcare related field.
I don't think a misdemeanor carries as much weight though. Even for my state license (health care), it didn't require listing misdemeanors. I would try for all positions and just see what happens.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:07 PM

3,150 posts, read 1,606,175 times
Quote:
Now that I am OLDER and looking back on it, yes I made a mistake. Although, back then, I was developmentally delayed in maturity, hence the reason why I have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

Although I made mistakes, I can also say I meant no harm to her or anyone. I know deep down inside I am not a terrible person.

I feel this matter should have been approached differently back then.

Even if you meant no harm or were not violent, the girl's father does not know that and the truth of the matter is that stalking can escalate into violent behaviors. So the father is certainly not going to take any chances.

I mention this because if you have to discuss this issue with an employer, do not place any blame on the girl's father or your lawyer. It's best to simply accept responsibility; you were young and foolish about your first romantic relationship. It would be helpful if you could get references from former employers to show there has never been a problem.

You might need to go the temporary job route. Some companies are not as stringent in hiring temporary help and often if things go well the temp. may get a permanent job offer. You may need to submit to a background check but at that point you will have proven yourself.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:56 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,262,338 times
Speaking from the perspective of a former hiring manager of a very large company, you would never get past the background check in my company. Yes, we all make mistakes, especially when we are younger. That being said, mistakes often come with severe consequences. That is called LIFE.

You may be the best person on the block, but you have a “history” that cannot be overlooked in these times. No major employer will want to assume the risk that you might do something in the future. I know that’s hard to hear, but I don’t sugar coat things. You need to be told the truth and plan accordingly.

If I were in your shoes, I would do what it took to launch my own business. IT seems to be your forte, according to what you posted, but I would expand my capabilities if it were me. There is a reason why so many IT workers are unhappy.

I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment