Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:33 AM

1,037 posts, read 435,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
So, is it legal not to claim it, and are the tax refunds I get back from the write-offs going to amount to more than the income tax? If the benefits are small to claiming it, I'd rather avoid hassle and not claim it
The FED's have done away with the Personal Exemption, the Standard Deduction is now 12,000.00 for single filing status. To claim such work expenses as you outline, you must Itemize, if you don't, you can't claim any.

If your Itemized deductions are not more than the SD, forget it.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc501

Itemized State returns I imagine are the same? Your Federal Gross is always your State gross also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 05:09 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
My first partner, back in the 70's, worth over $10 million, used to brag that he never paid taxes, his biggest expenditure was tax consultants, like most rich people.

I'm gathering that the income is not sizeable enough to hire a tax consultant, so to be safe, I'd report it.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Yes you have to claim it.

You would file a Schedule C which allows you to take off mileage related to this work and that would reduce your net income from the 1099.

If you earn over $400, you'll also need to pay Social Security on this income.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:59 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
The FED's have done away with the Personal Exemption, the Standard Deduction is now 12,000.00 for single filing status. To claim such work expenses as you outline, you must Itemize, if you don't, you can't claim any.

If your Itemized deductions are not more than the SD, forget it.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc501
NOT CORRECT!! You are confusing deductions that people take for health care costs, mortgage interest, misc. "regular" job expenses, etc. (that's what your link is about), with deductions that independent contractors can take on Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business. The Schedule C expenses would be things like mileage, which could add up since the OP is doing a paper route.

OP, report it, and report all your expenses, which will reduce the taxable income from that job.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:30 AM

206 posts, read 170,992 times
In the OP's description it sound like they're not saying you don't have to file. They're saying it's none of our business.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:44 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Will they file a 1099?

If yes, then you MUST report it.
If no, then they're telling you the truth.

So, are you going to make more than $600 this year?

Old 05-07-2019, 02:10 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Of course the company the OP is working for will file a 1099. If the guy is delivering newspapers the publisher is showing the delivery company as an expense for them therefore the delivery company will be showing the OP and his counterparts as business expenses for them and documenting it with the 1099.

The OP needs to document all his miles and all his car expenses to include fuel, repairs and insurance because he will need this information in filing his Schedule C. The company he works for may not care if he shows the income and expenses on his taxes but be assured they'll be showing theirs.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:22 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
If you fail to report income there are penalties if caught, if you dont get caught your income will be lower and it may affect Social Security benefits.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I just got hired for an early morning paper route and was told that as such, I am considered an independent contractor. They further said that whether I claim the income or not is up to me.
Is it true that I dont have to claim the income? They said if I did, the benefit would be I could write-off my car, fuel, supplies, and a few other things. Obviously, if I dont claim it, I don't pay tax on it.

So, is it legal not to claim it, and are the tax refunds I get back from the write-offs going to amount to more than the income tax? If the benefits are small to claiming it, I'd rather avoid hassle and not claim it

Someone pls advise which is the better option.
It's up to you whether you want to commit tax fraud. I mean, you can double check with the contractor who you're contracting with. It sounds like what he's saying is he's fine committing tax fraud and won't file a 1099 as required if your earnings are over $600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment