Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 35,406 times

Advertisements

Can I get written up or fired for not taking my lunch EXACTLY after working 5 hours? My boss is really hung up right now on going to lunch no later than 5 hours of working. We all have our scheduled lunches and no one goes 6 or 7 hours after starting work. He's harping on going a little late to lunch or 5 1/2 hours. Can we get written up or fired for that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,164,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahappystamper View Post
Can I get written up or fired for not taking my lunch EXACTLY after working 5 hours? My boss is really hung up right now on going to lunch no later than 5 hours of working. We all have our scheduled lunches and no one goes 6 or 7 hours after starting work. He's harping on going a little late to lunch or 5 1/2 hours. Can we get written up or fired for that??
The reason he wants you to go to lunch is because after 5 hours employers have to pay you an hour's worth of meal time, this is on top of your regular hourly pay... but you can ask that it be waived if you work past 5 hours... best to get it straightened out and not rock the boat.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 34,657 times
I worked just over 5 hours before clocking out for lunch. A meal premium for 1 hours pay was auto added to my hours by our time tracking system. However, I noticed my manager altered the time I clocked out so that It showed I clocked out before 5 hours, thus eliminating the 1 hour they should have payed me. Is what he did illegal??

Old 03-25-2012, 06:51 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times
Actually it's illegal for them to hide th fact that you did not clock out before the five hours. It's a state law requiring you to take a lunch break before the fifth hour, unless your total hours worked for the days is no more than six hours. If the employee gets to choose the time they take a lunch, it's their responsibility to clock out within the five hours. Some companies will have employees sign a document proving you understand the five hour rule.

The company can be fined for the violation of the five hour rule. Employees do get written up for such violations.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahappystamper View Post
Yes. If you are not sticking to your assigned schedule, you can easily be written up or fired for insubordination, however silly it may seem to you.

In CA (and most of the rest of the US), labor laws are very strict and typically favor the employee. State law requires that your employer dismiss you for [at least] a 30 minute lunch break after working 5 hours. This is regardless of if the employee wants to or not.

Quote:
(A) No employer shall employ any person for a work period of more than five (5) hours without a meal period of not less than 30 minutes, except that when a work period of not more than six (6) hours will complete the day’s work the meal period may be waived by mutual consent of the employer and the employee. Unless the employee is relieved of all duty during a 30 minute meal period, the meal period shall be considered an "on duty" meal period and counted as time worked. An "on duty" meal period shall be permitted only when the nature of the work prevents an employee from being relieved of all duty and when by written agreement between the parties an on-the-job paid meal period is agreed to. The written agreement shall state that the employee may, in writing, revoke the agreement at any time.
California Code of Regulations, Title 8, Section 11040. Order Regulating Wages, Hours, and Working Conditions in Professional, Technical, Clerical, Mechanical, and Similar Occupations.

Your boss is protecting himself and the company. And the State law is protecting you. Best to follow your schedule.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink73 View Post
I worked just over 5 hours before clocking out for lunch. A meal premium for 1 hours pay was auto added to my hours by our time tracking system. However, I noticed my manager altered the time I clocked out so that It showed I clocked out before 5 hours, thus eliminating the 1 hour they should have payed me. Is what he did illegal??
Trying to sneak in OT will get you canned in a hurry and you won't have an excuse for UE in many cases.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Yes. If you are not sticking to your assigned schedule, you can easily be written up or fired for insubordination, however silly it may seem to you.

In CA (and most of the rest of the US), labor laws are very strict and typically favor the employee. State law requires that your employer dismiss you for [at least] a 30 minute lunch break after working 5 hours. This is regardless of if the employee wants to or not.

California Code of Regulations, Title 8, Section 11040. Order Regulating Wages, Hours, and Working Conditions in Professional, Technical, Clerical, Mechanical, and Similar Occupations.

Your boss is protecting himself and the company. And the State law is protecting you. Best to follow your schedule.
Explain to me how the state law is "protecting" someone who doesn't want a break? I would rather work straight through and clock out early than take a lunch break.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:35 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Explain to me how the state law is "protecting" someone who doesn't want a break? I would rather work straight through and clock out early than take a lunch break.
I, as an employer, would rather have you work 15 hours without a break, without pay - thus state employment laws.

State Law protects employees from being forced to work through a lunch period and allows employees to 'opt out' at the employer's discretion.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,364,403 times
Where I work we work straight through without a lunch break. Then when we input our time online, we add an extra 30 minutes to make it look like we took a lunch. So if we work from 5:00-12:00, we enter 12:30 as our clock out time, with a 30 minute unpaid lunch.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 PM

981 posts, read 1,621,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Where I work we work straight through without a lunch break. Then when we input our time online, we add an extra 30 minutes to make it look like we took a lunch. So if we work from 5:00-12:00, we enter 12:30 as our clock out time, with a 30 minute unpaid lunch.
Why would you do that? Why not take a break?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment