Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:55 AM

943 posts, read 4,258,459 times

Advertisements

When I was in college I had a pretty decent job. I was making $10.00 an hour (plus thousands in tips Christmas time) working in a Trump Building (wealthy, wealthy residents) as a Security Officer. It was contract security so I never actually worked for Trump, but unofficial policy at their site was employees must be clean shaved with no braids/locks or exotic hair colors (although you were allowed to have a thick mustache that did not extend far beyond your lip). One of Trumps top officials who i'll spare naming visited the site and saw my braids and told my supervisor that I couldn't work there with the braids. My supervisor told me they would remove me from the site if I didn't cut them. I was making good money and as a 20 year old I sold my soul. I don't have braids today, but there is no money in this world that can get you to change any of my present features that I keep in a "groomed manner". This means I have a neatly trimmed beard and mustache/goatee and you better not dare say anything to me about it. I just wanted to know what the general public opinion is on hair in the workplace (office jobs in particular)? What experiences have you had with this? If you were a CEO what would be your policy? Please explain your logic behind your policy.

Last edited by ogplife; 04-13-2008 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 06:51 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,380 times
In my company you can have any hair even dreads as long as you arent dealing with the public.

For me it would depend what you're doing and who you're dealing with and not so long that it would become a safety hazard.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
In my company you can have any hair even dreads as long as you arent dealing with the public.

For me it would depend what you're doing and who you're dealing with and not so long that it would become a safety hazard.
Explain more please. Why would that be your policy? Which clients would you regulate hair with and why? What safety hazards are you talking about?

Last edited by ogplife; 04-13-2008 at 07:17 AM..

Old 04-13-2008, 08:33 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,952 times
I used to hire sales reps for a company that sold stuff to banks. If you wanted to work for us you had to look like a banker, so no tattoos, weird facial hair, and a normal looking hair cut. But if you had an CSR position where the public never saw you, as long as you were nice on the phone and could get your work done, we did not care what you looked like.

When I was in college in the early 90's I was the poster child for the grunge/slacker look. I had long hair, pierced ears, weird goatee and worked in a bike shop. Within a year of graduation I was sporting short hair, a clean face and wearing a suit to work at a Fortune 500 company. If you want to get a professional job you have to look the part.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:26 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
In many professions, facial hair and hair length can be a safety issue. These include many medical/medical research, police, firefighting, chemical plant (even management), environmental, etc. Persons in these professions often cannot wear the required safety gear, may be subject to unsanitary situations, or may be at harm in some other way from facial hair and/or long locks. In some cases, you may be required to just bind your hair up in others, to cut it depending on the situation. For example: firefighters and other types of emergency responders must wear respirators. A proper seal cannot be obtained on a respirator if you have facial hair. An improper seal could mean your life.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Explain more please. Why would that be your policy? Which clients would you regulate hair with and why? What safety hazards are you talking about?
From my experience wealthy clients frown upon these kind of things. So if you're in professional sales with wealthy clients it could interfere. But if it's something like construction work it's different.

Long hair can get caught in machinery and cause safety hazards.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
In many professions, facial hair and hair length can be a safety issue. These include many medical/medical research, police, firefighting, chemical plant (even management), environmental, etc. Persons in these professions often cannot wear the required safety gear, may be subject to unsanitary situations, or may be at harm in some other way from facial hair and/or long locks. In some cases, you may be required to just bind your hair up in others, to cut it depending on the situation. For example: firefighters and other types of emergency responders must wear respirators. A proper seal cannot be obtained on a respirator if you have facial hair. An improper seal could mean your life.
I was only referring to office jobs for the purpose of this thread. I can see the danger in other work environments.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I was only referring to office jobs for the purpose of this thread. I can see the danger in other work environments.
I dont see any problem then.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
If you meet the public, no facial har, no visible tattoos, no dreads, no corn rows and no hair longer than collar length for men. If you are not meeting the public, I don't care what you want to do with your hair.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If you meet the public, no facial har, no visible tattoos, no dreads, no corn rows and no hair longer than collar length for men. If you are not meeting the public, I don't care what you want to do with your hair.
You didn't explain your reasoning for having those policies when dealing with that public?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment