Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 05:02 PM

174 posts, read 204,092 times

Advertisements

I need to give my employer 2 weeks notice. I drive school bus for a private company at a school district.
I notified my employer I'm sensitive to strong fragrances that triggers asthma (dr note). Have a student using excessive amounts of body spray which is new, bothering my breathing. Student also has behavioral issues and is required to sit behind me lol.I tried moving him to back of bus which was ok by my manager but school said I can't isolate him.

Anyway the school district has a dress code policy of no strong scents but they choose not to enforce it in my case.
So I need a letter stating the above is why I'm quitting.
Suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 05:06 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Axe should be banned, or at least sold only to those 21 and older... who probably woudn't buy it.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Axe should be banned, or at least sold only to those 21 and older... who probably woudn't buy it.
Yes that's what the kid is using, 5th grader

Old 05-17-2019, 06:33 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessyankee View Post
I need to give my employer 2 weeks notice. I drive school bus for a private company at a school district.
I notified my employer I'm sensitive to strong fragrances that triggers asthma (dr note). Have a student using excessive amounts of body spray which is new, bothering my breathing. Student also has behavioral issues and is required to sit behind me lol.I tried moving him to back of bus which was ok by my manager but school said I can't isolate him.

Anyway the school district has a dress code policy of no strong scents but they choose not to enforce it in my case.
Suggestions please.
You don't need to state the reason why you are quitting. Just state that you are resigning and provide an effective date. You can add a line thanking them for the opportunity, etc. That's pretty much it. And I would actually avoid including a reason. Simply because it is not necessary.

What you can do is explain in person the reasonings, etc. Especially if the work environment was pretty good outside of the issue with the kid's perfumes.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:51 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
OP, can't the bus co. switch you to a different route ?

If not, then what Macroy said is good.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:18 AM

748 posts, read 820,569 times
You don't need a letter, just tell your boss you're quitting and would like to put in your 2 weeks effectively immediately. No explanation required.

I know they have a real tough time finding school bus drivers. Nobody wants to do it. It's part time. I guess the pay isn't that great either.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:37 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,788 times
Is there any way to patch things up? Could you ask if a sign could be put up for your own health or wear a mask specifically for asthma? Can you work another shift or route? If the student has behavioral problems, do you expect them to be even there much longer?

If you're decided and they've already been made aware of your problem, then you'd just be repeating yourself if you gave that as a reason, and you don't have to say anything other than I Quit. If you write a screaming raging letter, then you'd only be making yourself look foolish.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:30 AM

OK thanks. I'll keep it simple then.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:24 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessyankee View Post

Suggestions please.
If you want to apply for unemployment, you might want to mention the asthma issue. However, you first need to give your employer an opportunity to correct the situation. So, I would reference when you brought it to their attention with the drs note. Laws vary by state but you may be able to collect if your voluntary quit was necessitated by a health issue.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:45 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I would ask to be reassigned before I quit. Unless you can afford to live without your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment