Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 07:44 AM

518 posts, read 1,053,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on this as plenty of places that have opinions on this seem unreliable. Like one website I saw listed financial analyst as one possibility. However, with that job you’re actually talking with a ton of people.
INTP here. Still figuring out what I want to do. I should have done engineering/science/psychology, but that's a long story.

Dog Walker (if you like dogs)
Day Trader
Any sort of trade: carpenter, plumber, electrician, floor installer etc

But if you seriously want help, you should share more of your background/education/interests and salary requirements. Geography etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 08:15 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I didn't say "labor only" I simply suggested ONE SINGLE line of work. Do you really think we're supposed to create an all inclusive list for the OP with every single job imaginable for an introvert?

You're a very typical City Data regular, you really add no value to the discussion, you simply try and come on and argue and pick apart what people say. Add value or leave.
You did not say “labor only” and you simply suggested ONE SINGLE line of work, but look at your post (#15) again. You sounded very degrading the introverts. In that post you said: “That might be a good job for an introvert. Keep your head down and dig, dig, dig all day, every day.” That sounds very insulting. Ask all the introverts here to translate what you meant with that. You don’t have to create a list of jobs for the OP, but what you suggested was very bad, sounded very mean, worse than useless; you sounded stupid.

As for you said “you simply try and come on and argue and pick apart what people say. Add value or leave”, that’s your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion; I don’t have to agree with yours. Everybody perceives everything differently. For an instance, you may think I participate to the discussions on here as to like to argue, you are wrong. In any argument, it takes two or more to participate. If you don’t want to argue with someone, who would argue with you? That means you like to argue pretty much, and you want to shut somebody up. You think only you can talk, speak up your opinion, and somebody else can’t. You are like a bully. You just want to think what you say is right, and what someone else says that’s not in the agreement with you is wrong.

You have no right to say who add value on here or should leave, as you would not want someone to say that to you. You are not the Moderator.

I added a lot of value on here that’s why I got lots of reputation points. I even got reputation points for my post (#18) in this thread. I don’t care if you got more than I, but you’ve been here longer. And I believe during so many years, you must have said many stupid and mean things such as the post #15. You just get upset because I don’t agree with you.

City Data is good for people to come to express their opinions, to discus things in life, even to vent their feelings because they were bullied by somebody in schools, in the society and at work, to feel better a bit (so what?). Those who always want to show how superior they are, want to degrade others and want to shut somebody up when they see somebody’s opinions are not in agreements with them, are bullies. Bullies are bad for the City Data and everywhere.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 05-31-2019 at 08:24 AM..

Old 05-31-2019, 10:26 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Um, okay. Sheesh.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:44 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
INTP here. Still figuring out what I want to do. I should have done engineering/science/psychology, but that's a long story.

Dog Walker (if you like dogs)
Day Trader
Any sort of trade: carpenter, plumber, electrician, floor installer etc

But if you seriously want help, you should share more of your background/education/interests and salary requirements. Geography etc.
I’m in Massachusetts and work in mental health. I went to school for reporting and have a MS in that in addition to a double major BA in journalism and film. Those degrees don’t even make good toilet paper.

As for mental health I just applied to jobs that needed people then seven years went by. I am actually really good at my current job, but really dread going to work everyday and feel so drained at the end of the day. I have no interest in returning to journalism.

I’ve made into the $80,000-$90,000 range before, but I have to do a crazy amount of overtime to get that. I wouldn’t mind taking a salary cut to get on a better track, but can’t go back to making $30,000 a year or something.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:38 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Definitely NOT anywhere in corporate America. That’s all I can say. Unless you want to be laid off for not fitting in with the high school clique. You’re only option is landing a work from home gig

Being an introvert is the worst thing to be in the private sector. By far. You can be a crook, sociopath, psychopath, compulsive liar, backstabbing nut, someone who picks fights and bullies people, clueless imbecile who is a failure at all functions of your job. . These are all forgivable sins. Will even get you continuous promotions in many places. An introvert? Bye bye. At least in 95 percent of private sector workplaces

Being an introvert these days is the equivalent of being a leper. These days everyone needs to conform to being a happy go lucky extroverted, small talking BS Artist

Old 05-31-2019, 04:41 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on this as plenty of places that have opinions on this seem unreliable. Like one website I saw listed financial analyst as one possibility. However, with that job you’re actually talking with a ton of people.
Librarian. Someone working in an accounting dept. Data coder. Software design. Computer IT (but this is a fading field, I think).

BTW, a financial "analyst" may be someone who analyzes financial data and portfolios. I think you're thinking of "financial advisor," when you say they talk to tons of people.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:53 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Unless you run into Brock Lesnar

I’ve actually talked/am kind of friends with a former night manager of a morgue. I’ve been told that it is a good job for introverts, but I’d rather find something higher paying with more room for growth.
Research of any kind--legal, scientific, etc., any work that can be done remotely with a computer, medical coder, paralegal, financial analyst, insurance actuary...there are a lot of different careers if you would like to shoot a little higher than the morgue.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:05 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Definitely NOT anywhere in corporate America. That’s all I can say. Unless you want to be laid off for not fitting in with the high school clique. You’re only option is landing a work from home gig

Being an introvert is the worst thing to be in the private sector. By far. You can be a crook, sociopath, psychopath, compulsive liar, backstabbing nut, someone who picks fights and bullies people, clueless imbecile who is a failure at all functions of your job. . These are all forgivable sins. Will even get you continuous promotions in many places. An introvert? Bye bye. At least in 95 percent of private sector workplaces

Being an introvert these days is the equivalent of being a leper. These days everyone needs to conform to being a happy go lucky extroverted, small talking BS Artist
i agree with this on corporate jobs, if you stay introverted, senior mgmt takes notice of the ones who keep their heads down. you wont make the networking opportunities that will keep you on the radar as buddies with senior management. it keeps you employed when inevitable layoffs happen and they need to pick who stays or goes, nor will you get the promotions that keep you moving up. You can be introverted and stay in a loweer level non managerial role, but those positions are going the way of the dodo - either overseas to india or somewhere cheaper, or just outright eliminated.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:07 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Librarian. Someone working in an accounting dept. Data coder. Software design. Computer IT (but this is a fading field, I think).

BTW, a financial "analyst" may be someone who analyzes financial data and portfolios. I think you're thinking of "financial advisor," when you say they talk to tons of people.
Thank you for the reply. Financial analysts have to talk to a surprising amount of people too. They don’t just sit alone all day and dive into data. A big part of many of their jobs is breaking down all that analysis and explaining it to people. Or at least so I’m told by another friend who is an accountant who works with financial analysts and from what I’ve read researching the job.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:55 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I'm an introvert and the most suitable jobs for me have been drafting / mapping on a computer and as a driver / courier. Drafting job is so antisocial you email questions to people next to you. I dislike jobs where management is lax and people have too much time to talk and cause problems. My current job is 50/50 courier driver and office production (talkative environment).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment