Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 08:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

As an IT Security DevOps consultant for almost 20 years. I had a small chat with a stranger at a Starbucks and led to a longer conservation about future jobs.

I started the conversation by telling the stranger his son is just like mine. He said he's worried that he can't take care of himself in school..

Eventually I said I worry about their future, as it looks very bleak from my perspective. The stranger said "How so?"

I said, the last few years I've worked at some big companies that does heavy automation in the cloud and all they do is onboard other companies and they shed their old contracts with traditional service providers and they get to take over their clients entire ecosystem and business.

The stranger said "that sounds fascinating.. something I could write a script out of."

He claims he works for many film companies as a script writer and he doesn't see technology replacing his work ever. His work has gotten even more the last few years and he only takes a few proposals a year and he's done. He doesn't have to work a 9-5 job and vacation whenever he finds the time in between.

He said, get your kids into theater and script writing. Computers can't write stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 08:38 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Maybe compromise and do shell script.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:08 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Actually computers will be able to write stories. There is already experimentation going on with that.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:26 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Theater? Professional schools at the university level are graduating them by the 100s only to fight for the few living wage gigs available. Scriptwriting, maybe.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Maybe compromise and do shell script.

Ansible playbooks?

Old 07-02-2019, 09:15 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

His work has gotten even more the last few years and he only takes a few proposals a year and he's done. He doesn't have to work a 9-5 job and vacation whenever he finds the time in between.

He said, get your kids into theater and script writing. Computers can't write stories.
Then the barista handed the guy a script he's been trying to market for years.

It's cool that you happened to come across someone who's been so successful at it. As a writer myself I agree that it's a VERY valuable skill that is needed in all fields, but it's not valued in all fields and it's traditionally not well paid.

I would never encourage my kids to set their entire future on "theater and script writing." If they want to "get into it" on the side, great.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:40 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:

https://www.scriptmag.com/features/c...ces-of-success

So, to get a handle on the real size of the competition, let’s divide all scripts into the following five categories:
1. Really good to great
2. Good
3. Decent
4. Bad
5. Truly terrible

What percentage of scripts submitted to the industry fall into each of these categories? This is a question I’m fairly confident I know the answer to, since I’ve asked dozens of agents, managers and producers, and always get the same responses.

One percent (or less than one percent) of all scripts fall into the really good-to-great category.
About four percent fall into the good category.
And 95 percent or so are in the decent-to-truly terrible categories.

Given these estimates, there are approximately 2,000 writers (one percent of 200,000) able to write really good-to-great scripts, and another 8,000 writers (four percent of 200,000) who put out good scripts.

And since agents and managers will tell you that, in order to have any real shot at a career, you need to be writing scripts that are at least in the good category, we can safely ignore the 190,000 writers cranking out decent-to-truly terrible scripts.

Therefore, the real competition is the approximately 10,000 writers who are able to consistently write good-to-great scripts. How many of these writers are working?

The WGA reported that 4,760 of their members earned money last year writing for TV or feature films. This number obviously doesn’t include anyone paid under the table for non-union gigs, but let’s ignore them and stick to the WGA numbers.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:57 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
As a writer myself I agree that it's a VERY valuable skill that is needed in all fields, but it's not valued in all fields and it's traditionally not well paid.
As a writer, myself, I can certainly second that.
Even in fields where they say that skill is valued, they still don't necessarily want to pay you well for it.

Sort of like job ads (in whatever field) that say they want a certain level of experience -- more than the job might actually need -- but they still want to pay an entry level wage.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:00 PM

134 posts, read 472,136 times
Quote:
As an IT Security DevOps consultant for almost 20 years. I had a small chat with a stranger at a Starbucks and led to a longer conservation about future jobs.

I started the conversation by telling the stranger his son is just like mine. He said he's worried that he can't take care of himself in school..

Eventually I said I worry about their future, as it looks very bleak from my perspective. The stranger said "How so?"

I said, the last few years I've worked at some big companies that does heavy automation in the cloud and all they do is onboard other companies and they shed their old contracts with traditional service providers and they get to take over their clients entire ecosystem and business.

The stranger said "that sounds fascinating.. something I could write a script out of."

He claims he works for many film companies as a script writer and he doesn't see technology replacing his work ever. His work has gotten even more the last few years and he only takes a few proposals a year and he's done. He doesn't have to work a 9-5 job and vacation whenever he finds the time in between.

Jobs weren't eliminated, jobs were shifted from your traditional service provider to cloud. There are engineers building cloud platform, help desk for cloud and management for cloud. IaaS has been on the radar for a long time, I would think that anyone in traditional infrastructure who is worth their salt started transitioning to cloud a long time ago. I know someone who's studying to leave the network admin role because he's been seeing the trend that you are talking about.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:40 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Entertainment quality has decreased and become more about quantity than quality.

I wish they valued screenwriters more but have you seen the latest shows? Only 1 out of 20 is even worth going beyond episode 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment