Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 09:23 AM

62,323 posts, read 88,272,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
keep your resume fresh and start looking. that's a huge warning sign.
^^^ Companies that do that at 6am Friday morning without any warning - they don't earn any respect. I would look for another job ASAP.

American "work at will" model always made me feel wary and uneasy.
They expect you to give them notice, heck even train your replacement, but they wouldn't even blink when they fire or lay off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 10:41 AM

332 posts, read 246,770 times
As we all know, layoffs happen for many reasons.

I've seen companies hold onto employees as long as they can... go the extra mile for their employees and you can tell how bad it pains them to have to finally let people go...

I've also seen companies lay people off just to make the books look better for share holders... spending millions of dollars on new offices, executive bonuses and perks with one hand and with the other pushing hard working people out the door.

I've seen the mixture of both at times. Its just the way of the world right now.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:06 AM

23,411 posts, read 29,308,237 times
Back in the mid 80's I was working for a computer company called Control Data in Minneapolis, and they announced 20% of the 60,000 employees would be laid off. I survived. The next year they announced another 20% reduction. I survived yet again. And then, I began to raise my hand for the next layoffs. "Take me, there's others more valuable to the company than me!" That was because they were flirting with eliminating the severance package and I wasn't about to leave there without it. There was so much fat in that company, that I took over the jobs of 5 other people and I still had too much time on my hands. Eager to get out of there, I came to work 1-2 hours late and left work 1-2 hours early, hoping it would accelerate my departure. It worked!

Old 10-04-2019, 11:10 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,192,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm just crushed. Barely knew these people four months, and I rarely saw them as I work remotely, but still sad. All good people, most in their 40s, with families, just trying to provide for their families. Just crushed.
Whatever.

No employees have any loyalty. 90% of people will leave for the next bigger paycheck, and 50% of people will roll over anybody they need to at work to earn a bigger paycheck.

When companies do ECONOMIC based cuts, I never have a problem with it.

They'll be able to find another job ... doing corporate BS, wasting taxpayers $, throwing other people under the bus so they can send their kids to private school...

Old 10-04-2019, 11:26 AM

285 posts, read 206,251 times
I'm so sorry, OP. Best to look for a position asap.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:35 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,292,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Whatever.

No employees have any loyalty.

Says you.

I was a company man when I started my career, as I was treated well by my employer.

My very first "real" job I was working as an analyst at an insurance carrier. They ended up closing the office where I worked, so employees were given a choice of moving to our KC office, or being offered a severance package.

I had a home, and I didn't want to move to KC as I'd already lived there before. So I accepted the severance package, and it was very generous. Not to mention, on our last day, the HR department heads told us that all of our 401k matching was fully vested, even for employees who had worked there for just a year or so. That was about a 9k increase to me at the time, not a small chunk of change for a 23 yr old in his retirement account.

My last corporate job, I was a company man until I was laid off. They did it with no warning, on the day you were told, that was your last day, and it felt in my case they timed it precisely so my 401k balance would not become fully vested... and they sure didn't waive that requirement like my previous employer had.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:03 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,192,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Says you.
Says the good people of CD forum.

Stick around awhile and see how many people post in threads about leaving a job for no other reason than the slightest pay bump. How job hopping earns you more $. About getting their market worth.

Granted, nobody knows the greed of corporate management better than I do. They'll try and squeeze every ounce our of their employees.

But there's no need to show loyalty to employees who will leave at a moment's notice.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,747,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
For sure. End of the day it’s about money. I assume my time will come in three months so I am starting to look just in case
Start looking right now, you have the perfect reason if anyone questions why you're looking after less than a year, be blunt and tell them what just happened.

Best of luck.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:14 PM

332 posts, read 246,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Says you.

I was a company man when I started my career, as I was treated well by my employer.

I was also a company man once. Worked at a company in a role I loved. Wanted to spend my career and retire there. I believed that if I showed loyalty that I would receive it in return. Went as far as to be foolish enough to allow myself to be pigeon holed into a niche position bc I knew the company needed it...

In the end i was laid off for reason number two in my post above. Some execs and a few people made a larger bonus and a few extra bucks an hour at the expense of my (and others) career. Didn't even bat an eye doing it.

I'm not bitter, well.. not anymore... I just have my eyes wide open now and just like to pass on what I have learned.

So now when I see an employee jump for a bigger paycheck.. I don't judge.. at least when an employee gets a better paying job.. its usually doesn't mean someone else is loosing their job...

Old 10-04-2019, 12:22 PM

390 posts, read 382,513 times
I'm sorry OP. I would definitely polish up that resume just in case.

I was laid off during the crisis of '08/ '09. I was out of work a year. I live in Vegas and it was one of- if not the- hardest places in the country. I was hired after a year by another company here in the hospitality industry. In 2011, with less than 2 years in, they had a minor layoff. I was told basically it was to get rid of "dead weight". I was not laid off. Skip forward to the end of 2014. We were all called to the conference room and online with our office in Chicago, probably 25% of the company was laid off- that day. I was told I had 6 weeks. My husband was battling cancer at the time and all I could think of was- without insurance this is a death sentence. They restructured and kept me and I am still here. Hubby passed in 2015 and they were very supportive.

I don't know who you work for but it doesn't always turn out bad. Keep your head up and listen and see what the atmosphere is like next week. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment