Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 12:59 PM

7,641 posts, read 5,157,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Says the good people of CD forum.

Stick around awhile and see how many people post in threads about leaving a job for no other reason than the slightest pay bump. How job hopping earns you more $. About getting their market worth.

Granted, nobody knows the greed of corporate management better than I do. They'll try and squeeze every ounce our of their employees.

But there's no need to show loyalty to employees who will leave at a moment's notice.
But there is an inherent leverage gap between employer and employee. The consequences to MOST employers in most cases if an employee job hops is minimal. The consequences to an employee if they are untimely laid off can be devestatiing.

So these are not the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 01:21 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,192,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
But there is an inherent leverage gap between employer and employee. The consequences to MOST employers in most cases if an employee job hops is minimal. The consequences to an employee if they are untimely laid off can be devestatiing.

So these are not the same thing
It's the fault of conservatives and corporate greed in general that we don't have things like universal healthcare. So, let's get that out of the way first...

Everything is cause and effect. Don't think that employees having zero loyalty these days has no bearing on companies also showing little loyalty.

Also, if you have a job where you perform a necessary function, it's that much harder to lay you off.

When jobs become just a 'mechanism' to pay your rent, and healthcare premium, it's a problem. If people focused on finding meaningful jobs, instead of 'making as much as possible before retirement' then it'd be a completely different system.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:08 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,610,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Sports Illustrated laid off 35-40% of its workforce today; so I'm wondering if that's the case you speak of.
That's terrible news. Love S.I., but it likely won't be the same. Last year they went from a weekly print to a bi-monthly printing, all for the same subscription price. I likely won't renew, after many years.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:40 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,492,242 times
Quote:
And everyone is agast that socailism is taking root. So many republicans confused and dismayed lol.

People should be happy to be constantly laid off, looking for work and working mcjobs inbetween for long stints. I mean its the american way right LOL!

You mean we cant treat people like used up cardboard and not expect political blow back? LOL

Dawning the paper hat and allowing yourself to be metaphoricly spit on by society builds charachter right lol.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:42 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,492,242 times
Quote:
It's the fault of conservatives and corporate greed in general that we don't have things like universal healthcare. So, let's get that out of the way first...

Everything is cause and effect. Don't think that employees having zero loyalty these days has no bearing on companies also showing little loyalty.

Also, if you have a job where you perform a necessary function, it's that much harder to lay you off.

When jobs become just a 'mechanism' to pay your rent, and healthcare premium, it's a problem. If people focused on finding meaningful jobs, instead of 'making as much as possible before retirement' then it'd be a completely different system.

^^^^
Ummmm….Whey can't we have both?

Old 10-04-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Sports Illustrated laid off 35-40% of its workforce today; so I'm wondering if that's the case you speak of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
^^^^
Ummmm….Whey can't we have both?
You can have both, but if you get laid off, it may be difficult to find a job that pays as high.

Let's put it into perspective with the story from above.

So, let's say you're a 55 year old senior editor at Sports Illustrated and you make $125,000 a year. And you got laid off this week. Well, obviously, your first thought is "I need to find a job that makes $125,000 because that's what I've built my life around and that's what I deserve."

Probably gonna be pretty hard for someone like that to find a job in that field at that level.

If people focused instead on filling needs instead of chasing salary brackets, then there'd be much less meaningful unemployment.

Maybe that senior editor could re-train to become a nurse or a civil engineer. That would be extremely awkward ... but it shouldn't be. So, why is it?

No ****** wants to go back to making 60K a year when they were making 125K. If people were open to that possibility, then work distribution would be much more even and people who got laid off could find jobs much easier. Jobs would be more productive, and there'd be much less people making very high salaries for doing ... not a lot.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Companies did it first out of greed, employees were forced to react out of survival. The vast number of jobs created were McJobs so it becomes a big game of survival and avoiding degrading low pay crappy schedule jobs. Barriers to entry to starting a meaningful business are higher than ever. I could start 2 businesses right now but between insurance and regulation I’m cooked before I even start, it does not require a spread sheet to calculate burdensome faa and insurance requirements.

In fact so many people are treading water at the bottom of maslows pyramid they have no interest in taking on a bunch of risk and debt when their own labor can’t bail them out if things go south.

Paying out of pocket to start a business is nearly impossible unless all your clients are over seas and thus you don’t have legal liability inside the USA. And even then you have to still pay for the real estate and basic living expenses. It’s impossible to save up 2-3 years of income from a mcjob in order to really start a business.

People are trying to do it through degrees and are finding the debt levels and pay out are not so great and the university is not required by law to share the risk.

Ex. It takes 120k in the market to generate $500 a month in passive income. To start a business or go to school without massive debt would require passive income not active income. Can you save 120k in a few years on a mcjob?

Our debt based system is shameful, cold and vile because if things go south there is no out, especially with student loans.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 10-04-2019 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-04-2019, 03:05 PM

By the way, did you guys see the thread I posted on how many ACTUAL hours people work in a day?

Over a third of people work 4 actual hours or less in a day ... yet you're laid off and cannot find a job.

Chew on that for a sec...

And don't blame your employer.

Blame the freakin' government worker I had to call literally 15 times this month to get him to schedule me for construction work (something that takes him 5 minutes) and whom probably makes $115,000 a year.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Companies did it first out of greed, employees were forced to react out of survival. The vast number of jobs created were McJobs so it becomes a big game of survival and avoiding degrading low pay crappy schedule jobs. Barriers to entry to starting a meaningful business are higher than ever. I could start 2 businesses right now but between insurance and regulation I’m cooked before I even start, it does not require a spread sheet to calculate burdensome faa and insurance requirements.

In fact so many people are treading water at the bottom of maslows pyramid they have no interest in taking on a bunch of risk and debt when their own labor can’t bail them out if things go south.

Paying out of pocket to start a business is nearly impossible unless all your clients are over seas and thus you don’t have legal liability inside the USA. And even then you have to still pay for the real estate and basic living expenses. It’s impossible to save up 2-3 years of income from a mcjob in order to really start a business.

People are trying to do it through degrees and are finding the debt levels and pay out are not so great and the university is not required by law to share the risk.

Ex. It takes 120k in the market to generate $500 a month in passive income. To start a business or go to school without massive debt would require passive income not active income. Can you save 120k in a few years on a mcjob?

Our debt based system is shameful, cold and vile because if things go south there is no out, especially with student loans.
Mostly true, though I do think there are more meaningful jobs/careers out there than people think. It just takes some restructuring to make them so.

Companies do not look at you as a person who performs a task.

They look at you as a conduit to make them $ for clients. And if that's how it is, why should anyone be surprised if you get laid off if the company is losing $.

As far as opening businesses, I know lots of people who failed with businesses and were able to absorb the losses through a bankruptcy. It's probably one of the great things about being in the US. Totally different tangent though.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Mostly true, though I do think there are more meaningful jobs/careers out there than people think. It just takes some restructuring to make them so.

Companies do not look at you as a person who performs a task.

They look at you as a conduit to make them $ for clients. And if that's how it is, why should anyone be surprised if you get laid off if the company is losing $.

As far as opening businesses, I know lots of people who failed with businesses and were able to absorb the losses through a bankruptcy. It's probably one of the great things about being in the US. Totally different tangent though.
I looked into bankruptcy laws and cases and from what I read it was not so cut and dry when the rubber met the road. Typically the bankruptcy would destitute you so you had nothing left or very little and thus no seed money to start again in a realistic time frame. This then forced your hand to dawn the paper hat ... maybe I’m wrong and I hope I am but realistically I don’t think it’s as easy as you make it sound.

Also if you have a few hundred k that is generating you 1k a month to cover living expenses and avoid dawning the paper hat is that principal at risk in a bankruptcy?

Because our society allows degrees professionals to fall to the bottom of maslows pyramid and dawn the paper hat you will see much less risk taking.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 10-04-2019 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment