Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 09:53 AM

155 posts, read 136,443 times

Advertisements

I started this post to hopefully commiserate with others who are suffering extreme burn out. I had not really liked my work for about three years but stuck with it because I liked the people and I knew my boss was retiring. Well, I now realize I am about 18 months too late in making a move and I feel like I've sort of been ruined with regard to working. I just got a new job but it is within the same workplace. The plus is that I will get out of my toxic group (turns out the people were not what I thought), but I still have to come to the same building everyday, which I've dreaded every workday for 18 months. I have another job application outside that I am hoping to get. I am close to getting another job (second interview last week) but I might turn it down because I would have to commute an extra 1.5 hours a day.

I have a backup plan which is to quit my job in August and go to graduate school full time. This knowledge helps a bit but I am still looking at 8 months of work, when honestly, I need a break and I don't have any time in the bank.

What have been your experiences with burn-out and how did it resolve???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 10:43 AM

596 posts, read 253,196 times
if sum1 will give u a roof over ur head for 2 years quit n go to grad school

Old 01-05-2020, 11:55 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,325,176 times
In every company, there are some toxic co-workers or managers that cause you burnout more or less.

Yes, there are always some co-workers, everywhere you work, jealous with you, want to run you under the bus and get ahead of you. Yes, there are some managers who are controlling and insecure and want to get rid of the knowledgeable and competent employees, so they can feel they are the highest or the best in the company like the stepmother of the Snow White.

The solution is you have to know yourself. If you know you are good at what you do, work hard, don't call in sick so much, do things right by the book (follow policies), have more people (co-workers and managers/leaders) on your side than the ones who are against you, then you have nothing to worry about. You have to train yourself to be strong, assertive, brave, daring to speak up for what you see is right or wrong. Don't be too soft and nice - people will take advantage of you. Don't worry too much about to be liked; aim for respect (in this case, you have to be respectable first).

If you feel too much burnout that can ruin your health and have enough money (not necessary to be rich) to live a very simple and basic life for a while, quit your job, and go to grad school full-time in August. I assume that you have money of your own or student loan to pay for it.

It's not worth to get a new job and to work in eight months and have extra 1.5 hours a day for commute. Either driving or taking the bus for a long time each day to work and back gives you lots of stress. And you don't know how the new workplace is going to be like also.

In short, learn how to deal with this current workplace for eight more months. Be smart and patient. Or just quit if you have enough money to live without working for sometime and do whatever you like in the meantime.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 01-05-2020 at 12:50 PM..

Old 01-05-2020, 03:36 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Burnout is largely mental. Have you talked to a therapist or counselor? Yes, look for new jobs, but build better skills at coping with burnout/stress.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IForgotMyOldAccount View Post
if sum1 will give u a roof over ur head for 2 years quit n go to grad school
i am seriously considering this. I will see how my new job goes but I fear it won't be enough of a change. I'd love to go to school full time starting in Sept. Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-05-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Burnout is largely mental. Have you talked to a therapist or counselor? Yes, look for new jobs, but build better skills at coping with burnout/stress.
I agree and I realize that more exercise and health food will help, but it is hard to start something new when you feel like I do. No therapy but posting here and talking to trusted work friends helps.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:59 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,325,176 times
Toxic and mental co-workers and managers (who may look normal or nice on the outside) at the workplace can give you burnouts that affect your physical health like high blood pressure, headaches, stomach aches and vomiting, etc… and yes, they can cause you mental also. But as everyone knows that there are toxic and mental people at work and everywhere. You cannot avoid them totally. You just have to deal with them.

Seeing and talking to a counselor or therapist can help sometimes. If you have the company's insurance to pay for, go for it. Otherwise, you need to pay on your own, or nowadays you can find lots of useful advice in self-help books or on the internet. The important thing is after listening to the counselor or reading books, you have to apply the good pointers to your situation.

Sometimes, it's good to keep your job if you see there are more pros than cons, and if you have more people in the management on your side than the ones who are against you. Remember that no one can have everybody likes or dislike him/her; and no one can please or likes/dislikes everybody.

If you can find a job somewhere else easily, with a better pay and nicer people, of course, that's the way to go. But sometimes, people often think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, and they want to jump, and find out it is not greener, or it’s even worst. Or they learn that they have jumped from the frying pan to the hot burner.

However, you will never know if you don't try, right? It's to each his/her own.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 01-05-2020 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-06-2020, 04:59 AM

1,066 posts, read 767,560 times
Understand how you feel.

I enjoyed my work to the point that I nearly sacrificed my health over a really bad crew that was brought in for the last year or so. I was very disgusted and largely burned out by the time I finally got up and walked out. I was able to finish my MA close to the end of my time there (nobody but my direct supervisor even knew I was working on it) so that kept me distracted. Maybe too much so, as I had a lot on my plate.

I did not feel the need to use a therapist or counseling, I knew they wanted me (and the rest of our original group) out and there was nothing I would be able to do but complete a few financial goals while I was able. All of us had been pushed out in the time span of just over a year, following the hiring of a new, so-called “executive.”

You are headed to graduate school soon (congrats!). Is it possible that knowing that is coming up that you are simply ready to move onto that and you are seeing those feelings as burnout?

Old 01-06-2020, 09:12 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I don't hate my job, but I am burned out on the on-call rotation.

We are on-call one out of every four weeks, but we have certain systems that aren't reliable that we get paged after hours on. By after hours, I'm not talking 7 PM on a weeknight - it's always a 2 AM, 4 AM type of thing.

We had something go down at 4 AM on the Saturday morning of Thanksgiving weekend. Good luck trying to reach a vendor at that hour. The same thing went down this rotation at 9:45 Friday night then it went down again at 5:15 AM Saturday morning. I called the company owner at that hour, and while he did get on it, I told him that I'm disappointed in yet another outage at a bad time of the day.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
I stopped doing so much OT, and quit really worrying about my attendance bonus. Now I'm ready to start doing some OT, but will be limiting it to 2-3 days a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment