Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 03:53 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I'd bet half lost jobs are permanently gone.

Vacations with hotel stays, plane rides, not gonna occur for years. A family of 4, 2 small kids, not going to risk a confined plane ride or beds slept on by 100 others that year.

Corps will use remote meetings far, far more post covid than ever before.

Theatres are a petri dish, like mash transit, any cough will send the crowd running.

Bars-oh sure, we have the 6 inch rule at play. DOA.

Malls-online just quickened malls demise courtesy of covid.

Life has changed. Permanently in many regards.
The only viable indoor mall regionally opened this week. I went in today. With the exception of Dick’s, all the anchors were closed. Probably two-thirds of the other stores were closed. Many of these jobs aren’t coming ACC until people feel it is safe to come out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 04:04 PM

34,100 posts, read 17,163,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The only viable indoor mall regionally opened this week. I went in today. With the exception of Dick’s, all the anchors were closed. Probably two-thirds of the other stores were closed. Many of these jobs aren’t coming ACC until people feel it is safe to come out
In many cases, I suspect chains will open just a small % as due to massive cash flow issues the last 6-8 weeks, they are in no position to buy inventory.

Many locations will NEVER reopen. Those jobs are permanently lost.

Retail is dying, so new stores will not take their place, either, in the vast majority of cases.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:06 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,000,210 times
Most of the jobs are gone. People need to remember most of the Upper management only look at the bottom line. "Oh we are functioning without them, dont bring them back". They dont care about hindrances to their operations. Just their quarterly bonus check

Theres ALOT of management out there that despise the working class. They want them gone. To them, they are just an expense that affects their bonus. Even if it affects the company as a whole

Old 05-09-2020, 04:11 PM

204 posts, read 121,538 times
In their defense, there are a lot of working class who think companies can continue to pay them indefinitely without revenue and that's not the way the world works.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarctic View Post
In their defense, there are a lot of working class who think companies can continue to pay them indefinitely without revenue and that's not the way the world works.
True. Now they are realizing the error in their logic.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:25 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
The state of Hawaii is already at about 40% unemployment. I don't see the numbers dropping by much until a vaccine shows up. So, probably until sometime next year. We're too dependent on tourism, but what else can we do? We're too far from just about everything for anything manufactured. Well, the people will take care of each other, we will have to since the big money pay out for small businesses didn't seem to really reach here.

Currently, all folks flying into the state have a mandatory two week quarantine. No tourists can rent a car until they've been here for two weeks and they have to have a place (usually a hotel room) to quarantine. No going out for food, they have to order in. The governor wants the hotels to issue a room key which is only good for the first day. After that, they'd have to ask the front desk to open the door so if they break quarantine, they will be caught and prosecuted. Apparently it's a $5K fine or up to a year in jail. At the moment, Hawaii does NOT want tourists, but the airlines are trying to survive with low airfares so that's not helpful. Poor tourists show up anyway thinking the quarantine won't be for them. Ooops.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:31 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,157,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarctic View Post
I think this is true. The money will run out at some point. I lost my hotel job here in NYC, and got another one a month later. They got a grant to hire after they themselves closed, but its only enough to sustain until mid June. My coworkers tell me the company has enough to keep us going. I think the place will layoff in a few weeks at best though. Single digit occupancy currently here.

There is no money tree, and whats in the well runs dry quick.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

There is no money tree, and whats in the well runs dry quick.
Very true.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Single digit occupancy currently here.

I hope you change industries. Hotels are not coming back, to pre covid levels, at least for years.

Even 50% occupancy usually breaks them financially.

We are in the epicenter. Even when occupancy rises, it will be a very slow path back.

Casual visitors have no reason to risk anything. Businesses discovered going virtual works well.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:58 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,157,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I hope you change industries. Hotels are not coming back, to pre covid levels, at least for years.

Even 50% occupancy usually breaks them financially.

We are in the epicenter. Even when occupancy rises, it will be a very slow path back.

Casual visitors have no reason to risk anything. Businesses discovered going virtual works well.
You are certainly correct. I will likely be left with no choice then to leave it for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment