Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 12:47 PM

4,339 posts, read 7,250,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
And don't pretend you already live there, because they will take it seriously and call you at 3 PM to come in for a meeting at 9 AM the next day. What are you gonna do, pay for your own travel and hotel to spend 30 minutes talking to them to find out you aren't a match for the job?
Really agree with this. Misrepresenting yourself as already living in the area, could result in getting caught flatfooted.

When I was looking for work years ago after getting riffed, I got a call from one of the local places I had sent a resume at about 4 PM one afternoon. Asked if I could be there at 9 AM the next morning for an interview. I eventually got hired by another company where I had previously sent a resume. They called one morning, asking if I could come in that afternoon for an interview.

You could maybe buy yourself some time by telling them you have a conflict, could they schedule the next day? But a local address with a non-local area code might also look suspicious. Might be able to get a burner phone with an area code from the region of interest, but really better to be up front about your current residency and future relocation plans. If they are really interested, they could arrange a video telecom initial interview, instead of in-person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 08:36 PM

521 posts, read 293,468 times
They know you are willing to relocate. I would focus my effort on highlighting my skills on the resume. If you get a phone interview tell them you can easily relocate.

I know how you feel it sucks. Good luck

Old 07-18-2020, 12:50 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
It won't matter.

Employers discriminate against people who are out of state. They do this for two reasons.
* They don't want to pay for relocation costs
* Even if you're paying for costs out of pocket, they don't want to deal with the drama of your life. You got to take days off to take care of paperwork, and do apartment searches, etc.
Nah, not the case for every company. My manager was hired from out of state. Once hired, she didn't start for 4 weeks because she had to pack up her things, find an apartment and move to NYC.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:52 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,898,396 times
Quote:
It won't matter.

Employers discriminate against people who are out of state. They do this for two reasons.
* Even if you're paying for costs out of pocket, they don't want to deal with the drama of your life. You got to take days off to take care of paperwork, and do apartment searches, etc.
They prefer a young sprightly 21 year old Prakesh in Hyderabad who can work 80 hour weeks, no bathroom breaks and whose Wife is perfectly OK with not seeing him most of the week. He lives and breathes the company along with his fellow colleagues crammed in the dev tower.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Really agree with this. Misrepresenting yourself as already living in the area, could result in getting caught flatfooted.

When I was looking for work years ago after getting riffed, I got a call from one of the local places I had sent a resume at about 4 PM one afternoon. Asked if I could be there at 9 AM the next morning for an interview. I eventually got hired by another company where I had previously sent a resume. They called one morning, asking if I could come in that afternoon for an interview.

You could maybe buy yourself some time by telling them you have a conflict, could they schedule the next day? But a local address with a non-local area code might also look suspicious. Might be able to get a burner phone with an area code from the region of interest, but really better to be up front about your current residency and future relocation plans. If they are really interested, they could arrange a video telecom initial interview, instead of in-person.
When was the last time this happened for a corporate job paying more than $100k?

Pre COVID I have never gotten an in person interview that quickly, except very early in my career after the 08 recession finally started to recede and they were rushing to bring in young bodies for the meat grinder

Old 07-18-2020, 09:03 AM

4,339 posts, read 7,250,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
When was the last time this happened for a corporate job paying more than $100k?

Pre COVID I have never gotten an in person interview that quickly, except very early in my career after the 08 recession finally started to recede and they were rushing to bring in young bodies for the meat grinder
When I was job searching, I was applying for sub-$100K annual non-management staff positions. Those are more likely to focused on recruiting local candidates who would be available to interview on short notice.

For higher-level management, executive, or specialized skill sets, it is probably a given that non-local candidates will have to be considered, especially if the employer is not located in one of the largest metros.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:26 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,725,167 times
Quote:
It won't matter.

^^^This.

That said, I still put "willing to relocate" atop my resume. Although it may not help, it also doesn't hurt.

In reality though, for the average person, their best bet is either to luck upon an internal position at your current employer in your preferred location (fat chance at some companies), or save up enough money to relocate yourself without a job.

EDIT: I will also say, a company is much more likely to consider out-of-state candidates if the job is going to be in bum**** nowhere (because why would anyone with options choose to live in bunm**** nowhere?).

Old 07-18-2020, 10:09 AM

327 posts, read 457,944 times
I had to move first to my preferred location before obtaining work there. This was 15 years ago, though, so take that with a grain of salt - maybe things have changed. Remote work really didn't exist for most positions back then, but then again I doubt that most positions will be remote when the pandemic recedes.

I'd tend to think more about where I'd want to live my life, and investigate what employers and business categories are thriving/expanding there.

Focus on where you want to live on your days off, when you're not working.

I think hiring is much like dating - coming off as too desperate/motivated is a turn off for most employers. You want to seem interested and qualified but not "too interested."

Old 07-19-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
I had to move first to my preferred location before obtaining work there. This was 15 years ago, though, so take that with a grain of salt - maybe things have changed. Remote work really didn't exist for most positions back then, but then again I doubt that most positions will be remote when the pandemic recedes.

I'd tend to think more about where I'd want to live my life, and investigate what employers and business categories are thriving/expanding there.

Focus on where you want to live on your days off, when you're not working.

I think hiring is much like dating - coming off as too desperate/motivated is a turn off for most employers. You want to seem interested and qualified but not "too interested."
This is a Clinton Era Rosy outlook.

1) There will be a SURGE in remote jobs once employers do the math on office COVID compliance and the first wave of lawsuits start rolling in. You will also see many ADA accommodation requests from older individuals with multiple health conditions who are one COVID or SWINE FLU 2.0 away from either being on FMLA or dead. As a small to medium sized employer do you really want to deal with HIPAA OSHA EEOC AND ADA all on your butt? Large employers like mine will eventually get it through their thick heads as well they can’t engineer themselves around these honey badger viruses

2) You need to live not where you want, but where you can SURVIVE. Look at Texas right now. It WAS great during normal times but:

- No personal tax, but low likelihood of receiving and paltry unemployment insurance. That’s kicking people in the butt right now during this crisis.
- High out of pocket (due to not in network) medical, as rural and even some suburban hospitals are closing left and right due to COVID impacts to elective surgery revenue
- Employers hold all of the power in this state and can mandate things hazardous to your health (ie - before the spineless hapless governor finally mandated masks, many restaurant employees were told keep the mask OFF or get fired)
- Employer culture in many states can be regressive and very backward with much lower career mobility. Look at Serious Conversations posts. Tennessee is clearly not the place to live to have a successful tech career and work in a great tech culture. Is it a nice place to live otherwise? Sure, maybe. But in USA your job is your life. Cost of living is not going down anywhere. People have to work and have stable jobs in future facing fields. That is priority #1 and what the pandemic should have taught many if they didn’t receive the wake up call in 08/09

Old 07-19-2020, 06:31 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,725,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
This is a Clinton Era Rosy outlook.

1) There will be a SURGE in remote jobs once employers do the math on office COVID compliance and the first wave of lawsuits start rolling in. You will also see many ADA accommodation requests from older individuals with multiple health conditions who are one COVID or SWINE FLU 2.0 away from either being on FMLA or dead. As a small to medium sized employer do you really want to deal with HIPAA OSHA EEOC AND ADA all on your butt? Large employers like mine will eventually get it through their thick heads as well they can’t engineer themselves around these honey badger viruses

2) You need to live not where you want, but where you can SURVIVE. Look at Texas right now. It WAS great during normal times but:

- No personal tax, but low likelihood of receiving and paltry unemployment insurance. That’s kicking people in the butt right now during this crisis.
- High out of pocket (due to not in network) medical, as rural and even some suburban hospitals are closing left and right due to COVID impacts to elective surgery revenue
- Employers hold all of the power in this state and can mandate things hazardous to your health (ie - before the spineless hapless governor finally mandated masks, many restaurant employees were told keep the mask OFF or get fired)
- Employer culture in many states can be regressive and very backward with much lower career mobility. Look at Serious Conversations posts. Tennessee is clearly not the place to live to have a successful tech career and work in a great tech culture. Is it a nice place to live otherwise? Sure, maybe. But in USA your job is your life. Cost of living is not going down anywhere. People have to work and have stable jobs in future facing fields. That is priority #1 and what the pandemic should have taught many if they didn’t receive the wake up call in 08/09
The bolded is an huge understatement for your 1st statement.

I agree with many of your posts in the 2nd statement, but I think you're a bit too pessimistic on places like Texas and Tennessee. As we saw during the 2018 election, because of the rapid demographic changes they've experience over the past few decades, they're on the verge of seeing a political shift that will favor more labor-friendly government. In GA and Florida for example, the incumbent party won the gubernatorial elections by 1% or less. That would have never happened 30 years ago. Meanwhile, KY, LA and NC now have Democratic governors. Even in Texas, the challenger contender came within 3% of beating the incumbent Senator. If the type of folks you describe can stick it out a few more years, they should be successful in voting in the government that has their interest at heart.

As far as your "living where you can survive" comment, that's easier said than done. With the exception of a few superstar cities (Chicago, NYC, LA and San Francisco), much of the capital investment and job creation over the past half century has been in places like Texas and Tennessee. Yes, their labor laws may suck, but the reality is you have to go where you can find work.

Lastly, I don't know Serious Conversation's entire situation, but my limited understanding is that he lives in a small remote city in Appalachia. That's a big difference from, say, Nashville and certainly not representative of Tennessee as a whole. In fact, one would encounter the same issues he's facing if they lived in a small city/town in any state.

Last edited by citidata18; 07-19-2020 at 06:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment