Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 745 times

Advertisements

Hello all - I am 75 and have Parkinson's, got laid off from my work-from-home job during the pandemic. My Parkinson's has continued to progress and I can no longer look for new work nor expect to be able to work a job.

My question is, are there any issues with filing for disability (due to my Parkinson's) directly after my unemployment period ends? Or will they have issues with that? Note, I am currently collecting social secuirty as well.

Thank you so much for your guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 08:27 AM

106,961 posts, read 109,241,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passerarf View Post
Hello all - I am 75 and have Parkinson's, got laid off from my work-from-home job during the pandemic. My Parkinson's has continued to progress and I can no longer look for new work nor expect to be able to work a job.

My question is, are there any issues with filing for disability (due to my Parkinson's) directly after my unemployment period ends? Or will they have issues with that? Note, I am currently collecting social secuirty as well.

Unemployment is for those willing and able to work ....which is it ?

Old 11-13-2020, 08:33 AM

31,987 posts, read 27,126,778 times
Quote:

Don't see the problem. Long as you file for disability after your UI ends, why would it matter?

Now if you were trying to claim both, UI and disability that might present some issues.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:43 AM

The disability investigation will likely turn up the fact he was collecting unemployment claiming he was willing and eligible to work ..

If I was a disability investigator that sure would raise my eyebrows for a look in to it

Old 11-13-2020, 09:49 AM

5,746 posts, read 2,645,424 times
What the Op could do is stop claiming unemployment and when they ask why there's a break in the claim say unable to look for work due to my Parkinson's. Then that would be on record for when he tried to collect disability.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:53 AM

They don’t ask why ...you simply check a box that you’re available to work or not each week when you certify on line .......no one cares why ..it is all automated .

Being on vacation and away is the same as sick.
Disability is hard enough to get but showing you were collecting unemployment first claiming you were able and willing to work does not look good

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-13-2020 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-13-2020, 11:07 AM

5,746 posts, read 2,645,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They don’t ask why ...you simply check a box that you’re available to work or not each week when you certify on line .......no one cares why ..it is all automated .
Not true. If he claims that for more than a week he will get a form in the mail.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Not true. If he claims that for more than a week he will get a form in the mail.
.....I am collecting but working the next two weeks so I have to decline benefits for two weeks...let’s see what they do.

But in any case with op it certainly would warrant an investigation in my opinion if I was the disability investigator.

This is not typically a scenario...the normal sequence is working and then disability

Old 11-13-2020, 02:15 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,106,496 times
Quote:

I’m no expert but it doesn’t seem like you can collect both social security and SSDI at the same time.

Quote:
There's no double-dipping with Social Security. If you are eligible for more than one kind of benefit, Social Security will pay you whichever is higher.
https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...-benefits.html

Another link since you are over full retirement age:

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...isability.html

Old 11-13-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I’m no expert but it doesn’t seem like you can collect both social security and SSDI at the same time.

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...-benefits.html

Another link since you are over full retirement age:

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...isability.html
That is certainly going to be the case most likely

Can you receive Social Security retirement and disability benefits at the same time?
You can't receive Social Security retirement benefits and disability benefits at the same time (with one small exception, which are discussed below). ...

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/re...isability.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment