Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 11:45 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,057 times

Advertisements

IMO this is a no-brainer. TAKE THE NEW JOB! Remember, people don't leave bad jobs, they leave bad managers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 11:55 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
It is amazing how similar my circumstances are to yours in many ways, including being in supply chain. Ever hear the phrase "people don't leave their company, they leave their boss"?

You already made the decision, you are going. And it is easily the right decision IMO. Money should not be much of a factor in this scenario. I make plenty and although more is always nice, I am perfectly comfortable. It is much more about the environment and learning/growth opportunities. It is nice to be wanted isn't it? Go. Go be wanted and appreciated.

Only thing is the WFH. I would not like doing that 100% of the time. I'd want to be in the office at least a couple times per week to build relationships, understand the environment and political atmosphere, get more work done, etc. I think that is critical. Personally, I would strongly consider making the commute a couple times per week. Especially in the beginning. I mean there are people who commute 2 hrs on a regular basis (many in NYC and other cities).

Go into this new experience with both feet and don't look back. Congratulations and best of luck.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:32 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
It is amazing how similar my circumstances are to yours in many ways, including being in supply chain. Ever hear the phrase "people don't leave their company, they leave their boss"?

You already made the decision, you are going. And it is easily the right decision IMO. Money should not be much of a factor in this scenario. I make plenty and although more is always nice, I am perfectly comfortable. It is much more about the environment and learning/growth opportunities. It is nice to be wanted isn't it? Go. Go be wanted and appreciated.

Only thing is the WFH. I would not like doing that 100% of the time. I'd want to be in the office at least a couple times per week to build relationships, understand the environment and political atmosphere, get more work done, etc. I think that is critical. Personally, I would strongly consider making the commute a couple times per week. Especially in the beginning. I mean there are people who commute 2 hrs on a regular basis (many in NYC and other cities).

Go into this new experience with both feet and don't look back. Congratulations and best of luck.
Appreciate you input! It's right along the lines I think I was feeling in my gut, all the better if I can swing getting paid to leave, time will tell in 2 weeks. There is a decent chance of it, because even if our job structure changes in any way, we will be given the choice to take severance, or reapply for the "new (changed)" job.

As for WFH, being that the new job is only 2 hours away, we agreed that loosely speaking I would make the commute ~4x/month on average. Boss said she's not particular on any of it, it would just be good to attend big meetings and build rapport.

Thanks again!

Old 12-01-2020, 06:14 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
You are second guessing yourself.

Leave the bad boss behind you and let everyone know WHY you left.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:08 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Also bear in mind the new company, while slow to accept WFH, may be forced into it. They likely have people working for them with underlying medical conditions who will require WFH until this pandemic is over (if that ever occurs). So I think you won't be the only person working remotely, even though that's what they're telling you. Unless, of course, this is some type of business like production where people actually need to be on site.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:48 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
What severance deal does the new company offer? Imo, that 1-year severance is a huge benefit in terms of job security (or at least, financial security). If you can get at least six months I'd clearly take the new job.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:03 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
I love when directors ask the average joe's on this forum career questions. I would take the new job. When they ask why you are leaving will you say because of your boss??

Old 12-02-2020, 10:59 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
IMO this is a no-brainer. TAKE THE NEW JOB! Remember, people don't leave bad jobs, they leave bad managers.
^^^^ Agree.

Life’s too short to have someone bugging you all the time. Any good opportunity to rid yourself of a PITA manager, take it.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:53 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
^^^^ Agree.

Life’s too short to have someone bugging you all the time. Any good opportunity to rid yourself of a PITA manager, take it.

Life's also too short to worry if you will have a job next month and be able to pay the bills. The 1-yr severance at the current job is HUGE. It means the employer cannot leave him suddenly and unexpectedly in a financial bind. If they laid him off one day he would be able to conduct an extended careful job search, even to acquire additional training, without pressure to take the first thing that comes along. We haven't heard an answer about what severance the new company offers.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:32 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Life's also too short to worry if you will have a job next month and be able to pay the bills. The 1-yr severance at the current job is HUGE. It means the employer cannot leave him suddenly and unexpectedly in a financial bind. If they laid him off one day he would be able to conduct an extended careful job search, even to acquire additional training, without pressure to take the first thing that comes along. We haven't heard an answer about what severance the new company offers.
The new company offers a 3 month or 2 weeks per year of service severance, whichever is greater. Obviously fingers crossed that I get laid off on 12/14, can collect a check and promotion at the same time. There is a decent chance that will happen, because even if a portion of our role changes, we are effectively laid off and can reapply for our old job back OR choose to take the severance. Or if work was done by 4 people on a team, and will now be done by only 3, all 4 of us are laid off, we can choose the severance or apply for one of the 3 remaining roles.

But just wanted to say that I greatly appreciate everyone's advice so far, you've helped to solidify my intuition which would be to leave in every scenario UNLESS my current boss is canned. Its just nice to have others weigh in so that I don't make an emotional decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment