Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:06 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,015 times

Advertisements

There's already a thread about what your fellow employees do that annoy you.. but I'm curious about rantings about jobs in general. I will ask that we not use company names. Now the reason why I thought of such a thread is that I just spent the last 10 minutes of my lunch break discussing the current environment at work.

So let me begin.

I work in a building that is made to withstand a direct nuclear attack. The heating and cooling system is not what you would normally find. For heat, there's a giant boiler that creates steam. The steam runs through the piping and warms us all up. The cooling system does the same thing, except with dry ice. It works pretty well - to the point of wearing beachwear in winter and snow-ski wear in the summer. Literally.

The only problem is that the steam is still running. Our office has absolutely no windows (part of the whole withstand nuclear attack) - there's almost a foot of concrete between our outer wall and the outside world. So, the heat collects and permeates the air. It's absolutely dreadful.

Our bathrooms are labeled "Free Sauna".

On the bright side, last year we sorta....... melted our main servers. So, the server room has its own cooling system that will keep that room at a perfect operating temperature. So, at the beginning of the day, we open the doors to the server room and let the hot air waft into there and set off their cooling system.. and right about noon or so, it's a comfortable 85 in our area.

Now before you ask why our stupid building is made with such intent, I work at a Naval Base. Every now and then, our building's strength gets tested. With a helicopter training school right next to us, infrequently a beginner pilot will lose control and hit our building. Sad as it sounds, it happened just last week. None of us felt anything but heard what sounded like thunder. So, like the idiots we are, we stepped outside to take a look.... lo and behold there's fire trucks, ambulance, police everywhere - we all just shrug our shoulders and go back inside.

Just another day at the office..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 03:42 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,474 times
I can totally relate to working under adverse temperatures. When I worked in hospital medical record departments, I was surrounded by other women--half of whom were going through menopause, half who had to have been part reptilian. Enter the Thermostat Wars. Not uncommon to enter the office in the middle of summer (about 88 degrees outside) only to find the one terminally freezing employee (wearing a sweater, of course) had hiked the temp up to NINETY (yes, 90). Our hormonally-challenged coworkers were near fainting, poor dears.

Another wonderful job I had (different hospital) had placed their medical records department directly above the truck loading dock. Almost every day around noon we were overcome with exhaust fumes with no way to ventilate (they'd bolted the windows shut). Fun, fun, fun.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Does this count?

People working freight that aren't particularly fast, or are unable to lift over 75 pounds on a regular basis, working with me. I can do it...everyone in that sort of job should be able to do it.

There is one person in particular who had six pallets of freight to work...and was taking full pallets back to receiving after almost eight hours of work. Other people, with MORE freight, had completed all the NEW freight, and started working on packing down freight from the steel.

Why is this one person still working there? If that person can't keep up with the job, perhaps that person needs to find a job that they can actually do, and let us hire someone else that can do the job.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times
Rayne: I get ya with the thermostat. I have always kept a sweater at my desk to adjust for the flip flop temperatures of the offices. I have never worked in one that optimal all the time. SO, I dress in layers, short sleeves under a sweater.
What kills me is the young chix that dress in the light t-shirts and wear flip flops to the office and weight about 100 lbs... and they are the biggest complainers about it being cold. UMM excuse me, 72-74 degrees in an office is NOT cold. Keep a g-darn sweater at work and cover up your bare feet. And you won't be cold.

Another pet peeve, people that abuse their break times... everyone hates that.

People that say they work 8 hours, and don't. Like they come in a half hour late, leave 15 minutes earlier than they are supposed to. And take an hour and a half lunch.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Ah, you haven't felt heat until you've worked as a cook!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,990 times
Not temperature related but... I work in a bank. Some braniac in our IT group decided it was a good idea for all the PC hard drives to sit on the floor. And for the server room to sit adjacent. All of which were located directly under whatever the pipes are that run the water. Pipes burst. Floor flooded, hard drives ruined, servers ruined. What did they do? Replace everything exactly as it was but neglect to remedy the pipes. So they burst again. Finally they moved the server room and got the drives off the floor. That was a very expensive year for computer hardware. ;-)

Old 05-06-2008, 11:19 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,181,348 times
Office work life ALWAYS SUCKS when you're at the bottom!!! I can't wait to get my Home biz going. I am so sick of these darn companies and interviewing. It SAPS the life out of me!! At 34 years old, I feel like an old man sometimes because of these horrible jobs.............LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
There's already a thread about what your fellow employees do that annoy you.. but I'm curious about rantings about jobs in general. I will ask that we not use company names. Now the reason why I thought of such a thread is that I just spent the last 10 minutes of my lunch break discussing the current environment at work.

So let me begin.

I work in a building that is made to withstand a direct nuclear attack. The heating and cooling system is not what you would normally find. For heat, there's a giant boiler that creates steam. The steam runs through the piping and warms us all up. The cooling system does the same thing, except with dry ice. It works pretty well - to the point of wearing beachwear in winter and snow-ski wear in the summer. Literally.

The only problem is that the steam is still running. Our office has absolutely no windows (part of the whole withstand nuclear attack) - there's almost a foot of concrete between our outer wall and the outside world. So, the heat collects and permeates the air. It's absolutely dreadful.

On the bright side, last year we sorta....... melted our main servers. So, the server room has its own cooling system that will keep that room at a perfect operating temperature. So, at the beginning of the day, we open the doors to the server room and let the hot air waft into there and set off their cooling system.. and right about noon or so, it's a comfortable 85 in our area.

Now before you ask why our stupid building is made with such intent, I work at a Naval Base. Every now and then, our building's strength gets tested. With a helicopter training school right next to us, infrequently a beginner pilot will lose control and hit our building. Sad as it sounds, it happened just last week. None of us felt anything but heard what sounded like thunder. So, like the idiots we are, we stepped outside to take a look.... lo and behold there's fire trucks, ambulance, police everywhere - we all just shrug our shoulders and go back inside.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:18 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,181,348 times
People the burp loud while in there cubicle. That is nasty!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

So let me begin.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:27 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,366,150 times
I use to have a Supervisor that really didn't like acting like a Supervisor (except to me at times). In opening up a brand new Materials Dept. w/a one-person warehouse, he hired a guy that spelled the word Army as Amry on his Application and this guys writing skills were very hard to read. He would put Stock away and write down the wrong location he put it into. I done all the data entry for the Department and didn't have the time to check out his work. There were also math things that he done wrong (too many times). I talked to the Supervisor about him and almost got fired for discussing the problems. Also, Supervisor liked to get the oil changed in his car during working hours AND like to go to a Driving Range in the morning during the summer (he took me once). He would say to me, "I'll be back in a few minutes" and he came back two hours later. Actually, him and I got along fairly good since I would "cover for him" whenever he left the office (I knew the job that well). He did have a nice personality, but, to nice for being a Supervisor. Glad that I don't work for him anymore. I like STRUCTURE and (at least) some discipline in a Department!!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:54 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
What kills me is the young chix that dress in the light t-shirts and wear flip flops to the office
I wish I could wear flip-flops to this office... Our dress code is lax on certain things and very strict on others. My biggest peeve was on a casual friday where I wore a pair of camie-design pants with a M*A*S*H shirt and got told that it was inappropriate because we work with the Navy and not the Army.

OTOH, I wish I could redo the dress code so that all of the people I work with will stop wearing shirts that are disgustingly 3-7 sizes too small. I'm not talking about young girls wearing skimpy clothes. I'm talking about 50-year old men whose guts have expanded greatly since they last went shopping and their gross hairy old man stomaches are hanging out the bottom of their shirts!

And the steam is still on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment