Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 08:48 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
No, because you wouldn't have accepted this job in the first place if they had indicated in the interview that it was frequent.
...assuming that they tell you the truth, or that circumstances don't change later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfreshpizza View Post
I once interviewed at Home Depot. I wanted to work in the plant nursery department. On my online job application for the job I put my hours of availability from 8am to 8pm, everyday. During my interview the HR lady abruptly stated that she needed someone to be in at 7:45am. My response to that was that I could definitely be in any day at 7:45, and that I just put down 8am to 8pm as the general hours that I wanted to work, but I was flexible and willing to do whatever it took to perform as a good employee. She made it very clear that she would never hire me because of that 15 minute discrepancy on my job application.

To have landed that job at Home Depot which was for minimum wage, with that HR power tripper boss like that, would have been a life saver for me at that time.
That's so odd. She wouldn't hire you because of what your application said, even though you told her otherwise in person? Can only imagine what it would be like to work for someone like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 08:50 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
...assuming that they tell you the truth, or that circumstances don't change later.

In that case, it doesn't really matter what you say.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:57 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
An hourly wage job. No employer wants to pay overtime!
A salary and they can't dock pay.

Quite the dilemma.

When you entered the "office" did you scan the environment? Were the desks piled up with files (can't get through their pile in a day) and food wrappers (they don't take lunch)? Were the employees smiling or dishevelled from stress and long hours? Were the phones ringing a lot?
Those could be clues to a very busy and overloaded staff. Maybe some overtime there.

Research the company; what they do and what they promise their customers. Do they guarantee the fastest service and after hours? Do they handle large contracts with milestones?You have to meet deadlines here and that will take some extra hours to make sure it happens.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:34 AM

9,405 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Your suggestion isn't straight up.
"Do you require your employees to work overtime?" That's straight up.
Wow, thanks. Great thoughtful post! I stand corrected, no way would you ever find out if OT is required by asking if there is opportunity for OT!

Old 04-19-2021, 08:20 AM

654 posts, read 631,633 times
If the only sodas offered in the vending machine in the breakroom are Mountain Dew and Diet Mountain Dew, that is a red flag for a place that is going to run you into the ground. This actually was my observation at a big box home improvement store that we all recognize when I applied there 20 years ago. It was a signal to run...., also hearing that an assistant manager spent the night in his car in the parking lot so he could devote more time to work, yeah, that place must have been a nightmare to work in....

Old 04-19-2021, 09:13 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I manage scheduling and I am very upfront with candidates when they ask about overtime, as well as periods of intense activity. Don't try to be deceptive or sneaky, as others have posted, ask what a typical work week looks like, and if there are periods of intense activity (and what the expectation is during those times).

Old 04-19-2021, 10:46 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The point is that if they think you want overtime they may open up about how much overtime is available or required, then you can use that to decline an offer. How truthful a party is often depends on whether they expect the truth to be well received.
Agree
Too many companies not being on the, up in up about work life these days.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I am kinda tired of working 6-7 days a week almost every week. Alot of places expect some overtime but how do you find out if they expect too much overtime? I work at a warehouse, btw. Looking at a variety of jobs, some supply chain, some customer service. Is it common for companies to lie about that kind of stuff?
You can ask what their policy on overtime is. If they say "We have a mandatory overtime policy" Then you can probably expect to work a lot of overtime. Unless they specify something like "December is our busy season, and we have mandatory overtime that month."

Old 04-19-2021, 04:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
Having been in warehouse and production facilities type jobs for 35 years asking straight up what their OT needs are is a good question to ask. Some places could be steady, others at "peak" seasons.

Any competent hiring manager will be straightforward in response, if not they've had issues and will continue to with higher turnover and work comp costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment