Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 01:54 PM

73 posts, read 34,103 times

Advertisements

I worked at Kroger for about a month and I didn't really like it. Now I'm thinking about trying Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 02:05 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,229,962 times
What are you goals with this job?

Just looking to earn some cash? Choose whatever.

Are you looking for long term growth? Neither.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:06 PM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times
I haven't worked at either, although I did work at a grocery store as a teen. From what I see when I visit SB, its high pressure getting all the drinks made & so many picky requests.add this leave off that, I think it would be very stressful. But maybe if it's a good crew, teh work woujld go well. Try it.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:08 PM

73 posts, read 34,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
What are you goals with this job?

Just looking to earn some cash? Choose whatever.

Are you looking for long term growth? Neither.
I'm going to be working as an early childhood assistant at a school during the week. And I just wanted to maybe work at Starbucks on the weekend it's just to earn some cash.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:18 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_34 View Post
I'm going to be working as an early childhood assistant at a school during the week. And I just wanted to maybe work at Starbucks on the weekend it's just to earn some cash.
I'd think Starbucks would be more stress. Very long lines and it looks busy all the time I've been in there. A grocery store usually isn't like that. Greatly depends on what work you are doing at the grocery store too. I'd look at the one with the least stress and could accommodate a school schedule. For example, you have an exam or project to prepare for, and need 2-3 days off, a grocery store might be easier to do this since they have a larger staff than a Starbucks.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:20 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Despite the constant mockery it gets, Starbucks is a high demand job for young people. Every Starbucks I go to has attractive, well spoken young people working there.

Grocery would be easier ... Starbucks more fun ... if you're young.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
How about working at the Starbucks inside the Kroger, we have that in Issaquah, WA.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it better to work at Kroger or Starbucks?-sbfm.png  

Old 08-06-2021, 02:57 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,061,212 times
My stepdaughter works for Starbucks. The learning curve is pretty steep at first. She was stressed out for the first couple of months, but once she learned how to do all of the different functions in the store she was fine. Starbucks gives matching 401k dollars, has a stock purchase plan, and you qualify for health insurance after six months (IIRC).

Promoted to shift manager after about one year. I gather it can happen more quickly if one presses hard for it. I believe she's now making $16-$17/hr, and then her cut of the tip money adds about another dollar per hour. Next promotion level is assistant store manager, but she's probably 1-2 years away from that.

No idea how it compares to grocery store work, but I've been impressed with her Starbucks experience so far.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:40 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_34 View Post
Might be helpful to have said that at first. I suggest Uber or door dash for weekends.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:15 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
My stepdaughter works for Starbucks. The learning curve is pretty steep at first. She was stressed out for the first couple of months, but once she learned how to do all of the different functions in the store she was fine. Starbucks gives matching 401k dollars, has a stock purchase plan, and you qualify for health insurance after six months (IIRC).

Promoted to shift manager after about one year. I gather it can happen more quickly if one presses hard for it. I believe she's now making $16-$17/hr, and then her cut of the tip money adds about another dollar per hour. Next promotion level is assistant store manager, but she's probably 1-2 years away from that.

No idea how it compares to grocery store work, but I've been impressed with her Starbucks experience so far.
It's rare that people give reviews of retail type job on here, so ... thanks for that.

I'll be honest, that doesn't sound bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment