Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 12:05 PM

71 posts, read 39,772 times

Advertisements

I definitely would like to work at a corporate office job or a job in Human Resources, Apple, etc but I wanted to know how can I apply and get jobs in this category if I don’t have a degree? I would like some guidance

Old 01-27-2022, 12:17 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
You're going to have to actually get some schooling and a degree. You're thread before about wanting an online "certificate" should have told you something. For someone to want to hire you and give you a paycheck, you have to offer something back in return. Get some schooling.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:33 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligent_split View Post
I definitely would like to work at a corporate office job or a job in Human Resources, Apple, etc but I wanted to know how can I apply and get jobs in this category if I don’t have a degree? I would like some guidance

What is it that you see yourself doing? Depending on a lot of factors, you CAN get an office type job without a degree, but it'll be a lower paying job. Like...you could be a receptionist, but probably not an administrative assistant...see what I mean?

Old 01-27-2022, 01:56 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Once again you're asking a question hardly anyone can answer. "Corporate office"? What does that mean? The term is massively vague! You need to go do groundwork for yourself. Start your own research on companies you think you're interested in, request their entry level positions' qualifying prerequisites and what sorts of certifications/degrees/courses of study they might require.

You're not going to walk into anything other than an entry level automation type job with no college coursework or degree, so forget that. Tip: they aren't likely to show much interest in someone who doesn't show initiative. Develop some.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-27-2022 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-27-2022, 06:31 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,930 times
Yes, you can get a low level office job and work your way up... Depending on the company, if you are lucky, if you are a hard worker, and if you are smart.

It's an employee's market for the first time in decades. Apply, apply apply.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:10 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,041,939 times
There is no magic, easy peesy, lemon squeezy answer. The easy button you keep looking for doesn't exist. Anyone who tells you all you need is a couple of videos online is lying to you.

If you really want to work in an office, you must:

a. Decide what you want to do. Whether it's an admin assistant, engineer, finance worker, advertising, sales, whatever.
b. Then get the appropriate education and training for that field. Decide on the field first. Then the training and education. Real training and education. Six months. Two years. Four years. Certificate. AA. BA. BS. etc.
c. While in education work internships. Professional society. Research. Leadership opportunities. All while in school.
d. Just before graduation start applying to places you interned. And other places.

Work you tail off getting the degree and in the internships. And getting the job. Then you will understand the secret to life is there is no secret, and you can't get your money back.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:30 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligent_split View Post
Apple is one place where a degree matters less.
https://www.businessinsider.com/appl...to%20Glassdoor.

That is one company that is more about skills than credentials.
I suggest you read the article. It will give you hope.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:42 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,891,252 times
One possible way would be going through a temp agency

Old 01-28-2022, 07:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,701 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Skillset? (as never answered in previous thread)
Objectives? "..........."
Wage aspirations? "....."
Willing to return to school on company dime? "...."
Willing to move? "......"

What unique contribution(s) to their company can you offer a room full of degreed managers who are interviewing you ?

Yes, it is very possible to enter corporate career without a degree, if you are of value to them.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:50 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
To the OP, let's put it this way --

If you don't have a college degree (or even if you do), the real question is what makes you competitive with the candidate sitting next to you?

69% of high school students go to college (may not complete it, but go).

For a lot of jobs some college work may not be required. But what makes you competitive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.